Book recommendation “The Limit”

Agnelli

True Classic
By Michael Cannell - life and death on the 1961 Grand Prix circuit.
BD79F87C-5458-4CFC-A12A-4F94AC650A88.jpeg

Just finished reading....if you are interested in the development of drivers Phil Hill, Sterling Moss and Wolfgang Von Trips, early Formula 1, Ferrari and Mercedes you may also enjoy this.

Jim, I have it too and its excellent. I want more like this. If you also like motorcycle stuff look up "Stealing Speed". Its about Walter Kaaden and Ernst Degner over at MZ and spans ww2 into the cold war. Its a really nice easy read and has lotsa fun 2stroke or "2t" info including Mz's associations with nazi technology

Jim, I have it too and its excellent. I want more like this. If you also like motorcycle stuff look up "Stealing Speed". Its about Walter Kaaden and Ernst Degner over at MZ and spans ww2 into the cold war. Its a really nice easy read and has lotsa fun 2stroke or "2t" info including Mz's associations with nazi technology
Toby - excellent. I am looking now for Stealing Speed. It's quite a rare and expensive book. Two major interests for me (1) by day I administrate at a major academic medical institution. So keen on the intellectual property angle. Apparently the Japanese lifted the technology from the East German inventors (2) I grew up around a lot of petrolheads, including guys that rode motorbikes. There were some wicked 2 strokes in the neighborhood: a modified Yamaha RD350 with expansion chambers. My friend used to regularly break tachometers from revving so high. Then there were 500cc and 750cc Kawasaki triples that had way more power than suspension and brakes. All of them got crashed in different incidents, but super impressive machines nonetheless. The four strokes nearby somehow did not wreck, Norton Commando and Yamaha 650 twin.

I will find that book.

Jim, thats odd, I bought the paperbacks for a few bucks maybe 5 years ago? Maybe its out of print or something...
Here's two more that i'm trying to get, both by Karl Ludvigsen: "Professor Porsche's Wars" and "Battle for the Beetle"

Well done you, the market is $70 for that book, you might want to flip in on eBay! Will check your other recs.

Toby - excellent. I am looking now for Stealing Speed. It's quite a rare and expensive book. Two major interests for me (1) by day I administrate at a major academic medical institution. So keen on the intellectual property angle. Apparently the Japanese lifted the technology from the East German inventors (2) I grew up around a lot of petrolheads, including guys that rode motorbikes. There were some wicked 2 strokes in the neighborhood: a modified Yamaha RD350 with expansion chambers. My friend used to regularly break tachometers from revving so high. Then there were 500cc and 750cc Kawasaki triples that had way more power than suspension and brakes. All of them got crashed in different incidents, but super impressive machines nonetheless. The four strokes nearby somehow did not wreck, Norton Commando and Yamaha 650 twin.

I will find that book.

Available on alibris.com, but as you say rather pricey.

Just finished reading....if you are interested in the development of drivers Phil Hill, Sterling Moss and Wolfgang Von Trips, early Formula 1, Ferrari and Mercedes you may also enjoy this.

I am going to have to find a copy. A period I am particularly interested in. I enjoy reading about the post war years though the 1970s. During that time there were so many interesting characters and cars. Truly a magic time in the sport.

The first book I read was Jackie Stewart's "Faster", written during the period between his first two championships (1970). Its both a tragic and thrilling read. Its well worth the read.

Back