I second the comment above about kinks: it's really easy to get a soft line kinked, and very frustrating to try to bleed the system if that happens! I would look around for *braided* replacement line instead of using the non-braided lines that MWB supplies. Not only did I get a kink in one of the latter, it also wanted to stay kinked afterwards. Braided lines seem much more robust and flexible.

Sorry if my wording confused you....but to be clear....the lines going to all the brakes calipers go into the bottom of the junction blocks of course.

Here are some pics of my pedal box showing the orientation of the junction blocks.

x19 pedal box 10.jpg

x19 pedal box 11.jpg

x19 pedal box 12.jpg

Sorry if my wording confused you....but to be clear....the lines going to all the brakes calipers go into the bottom of the junction blocks of course.

Here are some pics of my pedal box showing the orientation of the junction blocks.
Thanks... I was thinking about it. I can be very literal and very obtuse sometimes.

This will definitely date me, but it's one scene I remember that probably explains things best...

I second the comment above about kinks: it's really easy to get a soft line kinked, and very frustrating to try to bleed the system if that happens! I would look around for *braided* replacement line instead of using the non-braided lines that MWB supplies. Not only did I get a kink in one of the latter, it also wanted to stay kinked afterwards. Braided lines seem much more robust and flexible.

I'm having trouble finding replacement hose. I ordered the MWB hose for the brake lines, but they're back-ordered for the clutch - maybe back-ordered isn't the right term but it hasn't arrived yet and they've been expecting it to arrive.

Any recommendations on where to find the hose from the clutch master to the reservoir?

I'm having trouble finding replacement hose. I ordered the MWB hose for the brake lines, but they're back-ordered for the clutch - maybe back-ordered isn't the right term but it hasn't arrived yet and they've been expecting it to arrive.

Any recommendations on where to find the hose from the clutch master to the reservoir?
I used Tygon hose which several members have used in the past with good success. It's not cheap, but is safe for brake fluid and fits tightly on both the reservoir and clutch master. One other thing I recommend is to paint the outside of the MC's and Slave with brake caliper paint prior to install. These are unfinished steel and any moisture will cause them to have a coating of rust in a very short time.

Delayed delivery...."missed it by that much"? Following your previous reference to Get Smart. :D

It is a bit difficult to find the correct type hose for brake fluid in the right size. You can order it from a few sources but could take just as long to receive the shipment as getting it from MWB. These days shipping is a royal pain in the ass; rates have skyrocketed and services seem to have nearly halted.

Over the years there have been several references to the use of "Tygon" hose for this application. But be aware that "Tygon" is the brand name of the manufacturer. They make a huge variety of hoses in all types of materials, most of which is NOT good for brake fluid. They do offer some that is good for it, so be sure to order the correct type (material) of Tygon brand hose.

Some X's use the same size supply lines on the brakes and clutch, other use two different sizes. It depends on the nipples installed into the master cylinders - which are available in both sizes and will fit in both masters. So if you have enough of the "brake" hose then maybe you can replace the nipple on the clutch master and use that hose. But you also need to check what size nipple is on the reservoir - again it can be either size.

On my '85 the clutch and brake supply hoses are the same, 7 mm ID and 13 mm OD, though I believe earlier cars used smaller diameter hose for the brakes (don't know about the clutch). VW has used the same type of hose, and several VW parts places have it available. Bus Depot shows it at $19.95 / meter. I have bought parts from them in the past. AutohausAZ shows a similar hose for BMW at $10.99 / meter. Perhaps you can even get the correct hose at the parts counter at a local VW dealer.

My experience with Tygon has not been good. I used Tygon 2375 (frequently sold for brake fluid applications) on my pressure bleeder, and with use the hose starts cracking internally and eventually breaks.

Last edited:
I have to do this job in the next couple weeks. I have done it in the past. I freak'n hate this service. Can't help it. A very awkward R&R at best. Everything from finding quality parts, to the yoga positions involved in the removal process pisses me off (swapped out two "quality" clutch masters within a few miles once). I would happily do a head gasket on an FI car before this task! Just say'n.
I will agree with the others...replace every related item in this system with good parts and hoses. Few things are more frustrating than a drop of clutch or brake fluid on the top of your shoe a month after having done this "simple" job.

BTW, second biggest PITA replacement is the heater core, closely tied with a the gas tank.

On my '85 the clutch and brake supply hoses are the same, 7 mm ID and 13 mm OD, though I believe earlier cars used smaller diameter hose for the brakes (don't know about the clutch). VW has used the same house, and several VW parts places have it available. Bus Depot shows it at $19.95 / meter. I have bought parts from them in the past. AutohausAZ shows a similar hose for BMW at $10.99 / meter. Perhaps you can even get the correct hose at the parts counter at a local VW dealer.

My experience with Tygon has not been good. I used Tygon 2375 (listed as brake fluid compatible) on my pressure bleeder, and with use the hose starts cracking internally and eventually breaks.
Excellent feedback!

I have to do this job in the next couple weeks. I have done it in the past. I freak'n hate this service. Can't help it. A very awkward R&R at best. Everything from finding quality parts, to the yoga positions involved in the removal process pisses me off (swapped out two "quality" clutch masters within a few miles once). I would happily do a head gasket on an FI car before this task! Just say'n.
I will agree with the others...replace every related item in this system with good parts and hoses. Few things are more frustrating than a drop of clutch or brake fluid on the top of your shoe a month after having done this "simple" job.
Definitely replacing everything.
BTW, second biggest PITA replacement is the heater core, closely tied with a the gas tank.
Actually, I think the BIGGEST PITA replacement on an X1/9 is replacing the accelerator cable. Everything in the passenger compartment has to come out - seats, center console, emergency brake cover, seat belts, door sill trim bits and carpet. Getting to the bolt on the accelerator pedal requires extreme finger yoga. On the plus side, when you're done, the interior of your car is remarkably clean.

I had to do that on my (former) '86 X1/9. By comparison, the pedal box has been difficult, but not that horrible.

Definitely replacing everything.

Actually, I think the BIGGEST PITA replacement on an X1/9 is replacing the accelerator cable. Everything in the passenger compartment has to come out - seats, center console, emergency brake cover, seat belts, door sill trim bits and carpet. Getting to the bolt on the accelerator pedal requires extreme finger yoga. On the plus side, when you're done, the interior of your car is remarkably clean.

I had to do that on my (former) '86 X1/9. By comparison, the pedal box has been difficult, but not that horrible.
You know, some Freudian firewall in my brain completely isolated that little nugget. OK, throttle cable, Clutch/brake masters, Heater core, fuel tank...All suck. I could easily drop, rebuild and replace a VW engine faster than any two of those jobs.

Delayed delivery...."missed it by that much"? Following your previous reference to Get Smart. :D
Thanks. Get Smart was my first exposure to exotic cars - that Sunbeam Tiger spoke to me.
It is a bit difficult to find the correct type hose for brake fluid in the right size. You can order it from a few sources but could take just as long to receive the shipment as getting it from MWB. These days shipping is a royal pain in the ass; rates have skyrocketed and services seem to have nearly halted.

Over the years there have been several references to the use of "Tygon" hose for this application. But be aware that "Tygon" is the brand name of the manufacturer. They make a huge variety of hoses in all types of materials, most of which is NOT good for brake fluid. They do offer some that is good for it, so be sure to order the correct type (material) of Tygon brand hose.

Some X's use the same size supply lines on the brakes and clutch, other use two different sizes. It depends on the nipples installed into the master cylinders - which are available in both sizes and will fit in both masters. So if you have enough of the "brake" hose then maybe you can replace the nipple on the clutch master and use that hose. But you also need to check what size nipple is on the reservoir - again it can be either size.
Interesting. The Clutch Master inlet is 5mm. I'm assuming the clutch reservoir is the same size as well. If I change the nipple on the clutch master and use one from my old brake master cylinder (can I use an old one or should it be replaced?) would a simple hose clamp be sufficient to snug the larger hose (7-8mm) to the nipple on the reservoir?

After my brand new Tygone hoses were pinched, I replaced them by Cole-Palmer
Gates Adapta Flex General Purpose Hose; ?"x0.47", 100 ft/pk
www.coleparmer.ca
And I'm really happy with them. I ordered a 100ft package, so i probably got brake hoses for a lifetime

On my '85 the clutch and brake supply hoses are the same, 7 mm ID and 13 mm OD, though I believe earlier cars used smaller diameter hose for the brakes (don't know about the clutch). VW has used the same house, and several VW parts places have it available. Bus Depot shows it at $19.95 / meter. I have bought parts from them in the past. AutohausAZ shows a similar hose for BMW at $10.99 / meter. Perhaps you can even get the correct hose at the parts counter at a local VW dealer.
My car is a '79 so I'm guessing that's considered an earlier car? The clutch hoses are physically smaller than the brake hoses. The clutch master inlet is 5mm.

I checked on AutohausAZ and BusDepot but can't find anything that has a 5mm ID
My experience with Tygon has not been good. I used Tygon 2375 (frequently sold for brake fluid applications) on my pressure bleeder, and with use the hose starts cracking internally and eventually breaks.
Thanks for the input about the Tygon hose. I looked at McMaster Carr and had no idea what I was looking for...

Also as a generic question, how do you read the hose diameter information? The hose at AutohausAZ is listed as "7mm ID x 3mm". The 7mm is the inside diameter. But what's the 3mm?

Last edited:
Thanks. Get Smart was my first exposure to exotic cars - that Sunbeam Tiger spoke to me.

Interesting. The Clutch Master inlet is 5mm. I'm assuming the clutch reservoir is the same size as well. If I change the nipple on the clutch master and use one from my old brake master cylinder (can I use an old one or should it be replaced?) would a simple hose clamp be sufficient to snug the larger hose (7-8mm) to the nipple on the reservoir?
Over the years they used a few cool cars for Max; the Tiger, a Karmann Ghia, a Opel GT, and reportedly in the very first episode ever a Ferrari 250 Cab - but I never saw that one.

I would not try to use the larger (7-8mm) hose on the smaller nipples (5mm). Either replace the nipples (on the master cylinder) to match the hose size, or get hose the same size as the existing nipples. However you are speaking of the reservoir nipple. Some reservoirs may(?) have a nipple size that is somewhere in between the two hose sizes? I only say that because it seems some vendors sell the same reservoir for both brake and clutch systems. But they don't always specify what size the nipple is. Measure the nipple on your reservoir and see how it compares to the hose sizes. If there's a obvious difference then don't try it. But if it is close, then with new hose (soft and pliable), and the good clamps (like below), it might work. This is on the 'suction' side so it isn't quite as critical as say a fuel line. But you don't want brake fluid seeping all over the place. Or you could also replace the reservoir to match the larger hose and nipples on the master. The reservoirs get brittle with age and will crack and leak. So replacing them isn't a bad idea anyway.

As for clamps I like the "fuel injection" type:
fic_29ed5cf3-38e8-4bed-98a5-a01cb6c6e50d_5000x.jpg

At this point in the project, I would not reuse any of the old hose. Wait for new stuff to arrive. Hopefully a X1/9 isn't your daily driver anyway. :p

Also as a generic question, how do you read the hose diameter information? The hose at AutohausAZ is listed as "7mm ID x 3mm". The 7mm is the inside diameter. But what's the 3mm?
I read that as 7 mm ID and 3 mm wall thickness, for a 13 mm OD.

I just realized you were asking about reusing one of the old brake master cylinder "nipples" on your clutch master cylinder, and not asking if you could reuse the old "hose". Sorry I misread it the first time.

If the old nipple is still in good shape - no cracks, wasn't damaged getting it out of the old cylinder, etc, then you can reuse it. But sometimes they can be difficult to remove; the rubber seal gets really hard and the nipple can be damaged trying to remove it.

And I agree with Bjorn about the hose sizing. The wall thickness is often listed rather than the OD. VW used a couple of sizes of hose so look around, but that could be a very good source for it. The VW dealers tend to be very expensive compared to the aftermarket suppliers. But if you are in a hurry then it may be available locally at a dealer?

Larry, you are in Santa Clara? Aren't there some VW specialty shops around there that still cater to the old air-cooled and other early VWs? They should have the hose.

Back