Brake Caliper Replacement

Mike C

Daily Driver
Hello All,

I’m about to replace the calipers and rotors on my Fiat 850 and I heard that it would be about the same as doing it on the X1/9.

Is it an easy task to replace calipers and rotors? Or are there special tools required, etc?

Thanks All

No special Tools required, but be sure to use quality wrenches to disconnect the hose from the caliper and from the rigid line. Fittings are kind of soft...

Changing the caliper is the easy part. Bleeding the system could be simple or could end-up as a nightmare...

Rotors are held in place with 2 bolts (on the X1/9) but may be stuck on the hub because of rust. Since you will throw them away, don't be shy to use a large hammer, knocking from Inside out.

Depends on the year of your 850. The early cars had a very different set up unlike the X1/9s.

Hello All,

I’m about to replace the calipers and rotors on my Fiat 850 and I heard that it would be about the same as doing it on the X1/9.

Is it an easy task to replace calipers and rotors? Or are there special tools required, etc?

Thanks All

I have a factory workshop manual for the '67-'68 cars, if that's what you have. I could scan the pages and send them to you.
I don't know how the later cars were different.

You'll want to replace the brake lines too, unless you have done so recently
They collapse internally, so they can look OK on the outside but the lumen inside might only be pinhead size and not allowing pressure to go thru to the caliper.
If it is worse on one side than the other the car will pull to one side under braking. Replacing the caliper won't help if the brake like is the problem.

Last edited:
No special Tools required, but be sure to use quality wrenches to disconnect the hose from the caliper and from the rigid line. Fittings are kind of soft...

Changing the caliper is the easy part. Bleeding the system could be simple or could end-up as a nightmare...

Rotors are held in place with 2 bolts (on the X1/9) but may be stuck on the hub because of rust. Since you will throw them away, don't be shy to use a large hammer, knocking from Inside out.

Thank you!

Gonna start the project next weekend.

I’ve got the shop manual too and I just received all my parts. Gonna start it next weekend as this weekend is routine X1/9 maintenance.

Thank you all for the support!!!

Back