Brake Fluid / Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir Tubing

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
Went looking for some Brake Fluid / Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir Tubing for the SAAB and found a good low cost replacement EPDM hose.

It is Gates Adapta Flex hose made of EPDM. Available from Cole Palmer as part number EW-95951-01:
http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/G...ral_Purpose_Hose_x_0_47_100_ft_pk/EW-95951-01

$39.00 for 100 ft + shipping.

Or Gates Hose part number: 3204-1301, Hose ID is 1/4" with red outer cover. Other colors are available.

Gates Technical note on brake fluid & hose compatibility:
www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49160&d...‎

This is the same hose sold by Wilwood for their remote brake fluid reservoirs..

Bernice

Thanks Bernice!

I procured some Tygon (yellow-tint) that I intend to put into brake service as well. Got a 50' roll on flea-bay for $40 I believe. I checked the compatibility and it appears good, but it is not highly abbrasion resistant and is not for pressure service (just for moving fluid between reservoir and master cylinder). The positive is you can see the fluid (and bubbles) in the line.

I wouldn't unless you are replacing all of the hoses and replacing all the seals in the calipers etc.

If there is residual brake fluid in the system a DOT5 product can cause the materials to swell and as a result malfunction.

DOT4 is generally more than adequate and like all fluids should be changed every two years or so depending on the cars use. Competition, after every event.

I use Tygon 2375 which is a clear hose that is compatible with brake fluid. Be careful as not all Tygon hoses are OK with brake fluid and will eventually sweat. I got it from McMaster-Carr and you can get it in pretty much any length you want, comes in 1/4" and 5/16".

Kind of a stupid question, but isn't the original black brake and clutch braided hoses the same as the original black braided fuel lines? If so, I read here that it is imperative that the same diameter braded hose be used for the fule injection system as the diameter is in MM and not inches. Forgot who, but on here they said to use Volvo part # becuase it exactly the same for the Bosch FI system. Just want to be sure so not to mix and match.

Color of the hose/line does not indicate or determine what the hose/line is made of in any way.

Compounds used to make fuel hose/line -vs- brake fluid hose/line are completely different due to the requirement for chemical compatibility. Use the wrong hose/line compound with any given fluid, expect a hose/line failure at any pressure or negative pressure. Fluid compatibility is a absolute requirement, no exceptions.

Modern fuel hose/line is layered. SAE 30R9 typically has a PTFE inner with a different compound for the exterior with braid reinforcement.
Hose/line used for brake fluid is typically EPDM inner with a different compound for the outer jacket with or without braid reinforcement.
Very different compounds specific to different fluids and they are NOT interchangeable.

Hose/line diameter is driven by flow rate.

Flexible hoses/lines have some degree of expansion that allows them to be expanded slightly to accommodate fittings and such. Some inch-metric dimensions do overlap within very small dimensions, like 8mm = 0.315" and 5/16 = 0.3125". Difference between these two in the hose/line world is insignificant and well within the production tolerances of the parts involved.

Hard line used for brakes in the exxe is 3/16" OD, hard line used for the clutch is 1/4". They are NOT metric.

Bernice

Kind of a stupid question, but isn't the original black brake and clutch braided hoses the same as the original black braided fuel lines? If so, I read here that it is imperative that the same diameter braded hose be used for the fule injection system as the diameter is in MM and not inches. Forgot who, but on here they said to use Volvo part # becuase it exactly the same for the Bosch FI system. Just want to be sure so not to mix and match.

The fuel injected models did not use braided fuel hose (except for the low pressure return to the tank). It is critical to get the correct metric size fuel hose for the high pressure lines to get the fittings to seal and fit securely.

Not a big fan of the oem stuff with Braiding on it...the cloth covering starts weathering and falling apart after a few years...this looks like a good solution, nice find, and pretty cheap. Like the Tygon stuff tho, actually see air bubbles in it. Really been thinking about getting some to put on the shelf for when the overhaul needs to be done, but I do see a lot of Tygon fuel lines on weed eaters go bad, I'm guessing that's just the ethanol in our fuels these days

Not a big fan of the oem stuff with Braiding on it...the cloth covering starts weathering and falling apart after a few years...this looks like a good solution, nice find, and pretty cheap. Like the Tygon stuff tho, actually see air bubbles in it. Really been thinking about getting some to put on the shelf for when the overhaul needs to be done, but I do see a lot of Tygon fuel lines on weed eaters go bad, I'm guessing that's just the ethanol in our fuels these days

Also I use Tygon 2375 for all hydraulic (Brake and clutch) since 2011 when I flush all the DOT5, and after 6 years no seepage or similar issue.
I'm really happy with Tygon and really like the ability to see the bubble air, no signs of wear, fresh like the first year.

Back