Brake fluid reservoir

Got my reservoir, and it looks good to me. The outlets rotate, so I can move them to the direction that will make connecting the hoses easiest. It fits perfectly in the scuttle. The only thing is that I will need to fabricate a new mounting strap, which even I will be able to do. All in all a good replacement. Here are some pics/comparisons.

, , ,

12A459DF-62DD-48F0-AEF9-F77D5F4D1BB1.jpeg Tilton low profile reservoir installed.

Very nice indeed. Any additional details you can share about the install? Particularly the hose connections to the outputs of the reservoir?

It does look to be a good solution, nice choice.

Thanks
The reservoir comes with -4 AN connections. I just used 45deg -4 push on hose ends. For the hose I used ¼" AG 200 EPDM hose from the local farm supply.

Just got the reservoirs from LADA in Ukrian, Dose this mean I will get a subpoena?
The plastic is thin compared to the original but for the price I am not complaining.
Try to get them on in next day or two and see how things work.
They included some kind of chocolate so it can't be total loss.

IMG_2916.JPG

I think I'd eat the reservoirs before I'd eat that candy. By seriously, the guys at that LADA site are really great with customer service. I got the same reservoirs (but no candy) and I think they are fine for what they do. And you cannot beat the price!

Here is a picture of my reservoir. Sorry cars been in storage and I have much to do. The leak made this mess on the paint soon after painted before storage. Will this reservoir fit or can you tell with this picture. It looks like the same one. Does it matter which way the hoses connect?

Attachments

• 20200408_085218.jpg
    20200408_085218.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 87
Will this reservoir fit
Are you referring to the BMW reservoirs that Jeff S resells (as in your first post)? If so then it should fit your X1/9. However there is a question you might consider first. Where do you want to mount it? Some prefer to keep it located on the passenger's side (stock location), while others like to mount it on the driver's side with much shorter hoses. To mount it on the drivers side, there is less room so it will need a bit of fabrication to make a bracket and position it like in the pic you showed (red car). Not sure if I correctly understood your question, so please ask again if this does not help.

PS, welcome to the forum. Please tell us more about your X1/9.

Last edited:
Hi Did you see the picture. I can send another one. The one in the car now seems very similar. DO YOU KNOW THE MEASUREMENTS Here are this ones measurements5x4 in. Both houses go under. One closer to the front facing the trunk the other under and attached to side near fender under the reservoir cant gate a picture of it. Am I explaining it so you know?its on the drivers side now.the picture is of mine. Have to clean off all that rust from it leaking. This car is kind of a project car. Taking my time.

Hi Did you see the picture. I can send another one. The one in the car now seems very similar. DO YOU KNOW THE MEASUREMENTS Here are this ones measurements5x4 in. Both houses go under. One closer to the front facing the trunk the other under and attached to side near fender under the reservoir cant gate a picture of it. Am I explaining it so you know?its on the drivers side now.the picture is of mine. Have to clean off all that rust from it leaking. This car is kind of a project car. Taking my time.

Attachments

• 20200409_102641.jpg
    20200409_102641.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200409_102639.jpg
    20200409_102639.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200409_102633.jpg
    20200409_102633.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 80
Kathryn, thanks for explaining it a bit more and better pictures - I wasn't certain earlier exactly what you were asking.

I can measure the dimensions of a stock reservoir but I do not have one of the BMW items (like Jeff S recycles) to measure. Off hand I'm not sure what you have. The fact it is mounted on the drivers side, the homemade bracket, and the odd angle of the hose fittings, tells me it isn't a stock unit nor the BMW item. However I'm not sure it really matters what that one is, as it sounds like you will need to replace it regardless.

There aren't a lot of choices for replacements, as we have mentioned earlier in this thread. So it might come down to what you can get, your budget, and how much fabrication you are willing to do to fit it. I hope that gives you a little more to go on. Let me know if the dimensions of a stock reservoir is needed or if you have more questions. :)

If your reservoirs are in poor condition then you can be sure that the flexible pipes going to the master cylinders will very likely be past their best and so best to change both at the same time.

It looks like the hoses may be leaking which has caused your paint damage (brake fluid will destroy paint). Additionally having any part of the hose higher than the outlet from the reservoir could starve the master cylinder of fluid which to put it mildly could be bad.

I suspect the hoses may be the wrong type for brake fluid and may be allowing brake fluid to migrate through the walls of the hose.

It looks like you have an OE fluid reservoir.

Hi Kathryn,

Welcome to Xweb! The easiest way to send a message to a member is to click on their name in the avatar that appears to the left of each post. Jeff replied to this thread back on the second page of replies. Find the post and click his name. A little menu will pop up with action options, one of which is "start a conversation".

Another way is to use the member search to hunt him down. Here is Jeff's member page. If you click the "Information" tab you will find a "start a conversation" button. These conversations are also referred to as PMs (Private Message) here on Xweb.

It looks like you have an OE fluid reservoir.
Karl, I was thinking it isn't a stock X1/9 reservoir due to the odd angles of the hose nipples...
20200409_102639.jpg

But the appearance in the pic may be deceiving. Or perhaps you meant a OE reservoir from another model of car.

Regardless I would recommend replacing the reservoir. If it isn't laking now (i.e. it's the hoses leaking), then it looks like it will be leaking soon.

Back