Brake Line Refitting

Robert Mose

True Classic
I decided at some point during my restoration to replace all my brake lines with Cunifer lines. I did this because my originals were in poor shape.
I learned a couple of things. It is not as easy as it seems and Cheap flaring tools are crap.
I ended up renting a tool from Fedhill that is amazing. It makes perfect flares right from the start. I have not made a bad one yet. Even my first one was perfect.
Now that this project is almost finished its time to move on to the next. I hope to havethe car ready for the spring.

Greatest flare tool ever
DSCN2078.jpg

Example Flare
DSCN2080.jpg

My little helper
DSCN2081.jpg

Robrt Mose
Montreal Canada

Cunifer Lines

Cunifer lines are made from a Copper/Nickle/Iron alloy. They are standard equipment on many high end cars and are DOT approved.
They don't corrode and are very flexible. You can almost tie a knot without kinking.
I purchased the stuff from Fedhill. The guy there was VERY helpfull.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/

Just added them to my favorites

I just added their web site to my favorites. Will definately be worth the money when the time comes to do brakeline work.

Thanks,

Ha... I see yur lil' helper is somewhat "color-coordinated" with HIS car...

HAHAHA!

Congrats on getting those lines tweaked... If ya did this twice a week it would be easy... I understand the skill required when it comes to tweaking lines and cutting them to length for a perfect fit the FIRST time...

Can you give us a bit more info on the flaring tool... Brand, Cost, Cost to rent, etc. and maybe even the tools to avoid. Also the cost of materials including nuts.

Thanks for sharing...

Details

The tubing for the brake lines cost $55 for a 25 ft roll. That is enough to do the whole car. You need a 12 ft piece of 6mm for the clutch line and it was $45. To buy that tool is $350. Fedhill rents it out for $25 a week. He will ship it anywhere and you are not charged for the shipping time. The tool is made by a company called Sealey Tools in the UK. FedHill is the US distributer. I tried out a cheap $30 tool and the flares were off center and marred.

Back