BringATrailer

Not mine, but that's a top restoration. Seems like 20K is a little low?

I think that's about the top of the market right now in the U.S., but values are definitely rising. Certainly, values haven't risen enough that you could profit off restoring a needy Scorpion. I hesitate to add up receipts, but including my car's purchase price I'm pretty sure I'm close to $20k in mine and it still needs paint, among other things.

Values are a funny thing and always relative. Look back 10 years and a Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 was a $25k car while an excellent Scorpion was under $10k. Today, the Ferrari is $50k and the Scorpion is $20k. Rising values of our cars often mean that other cars have gotten more expensive too.

Market value of any given moto depends on:

~Brand Image and Social Status associated with a given brand. It's actual content, engineering-design excellence and the difficult stuff is often of no significant relevance,

~Perception of excellence. Often cultivated by racing victories, Public Relations, advertising and the usual weaponized Psychology under the guise of marketing base on potential owners self deception of wanting to believe.

~Past memories of what these rides were during a potential owner's youth. Why dynamically horrid Detroit big iron motos gained market values of well over six figures of U$D.

~Need for cult membership via direct association with a given brand.

~Potential for Return on Investment. Know zero about the inner working of the moto, know everything about the investment potential of a given moto. Friend in Italy runs a restoration shop, told me his customers know FAR more about the market value and investment of their moto than it's content or interest in driving it.

Or why some motos will never be worth much regardless of their technical and design excellence and why some absolutely hideously engineered-designed motos are worth a pile as investors items and similar.

Bernice

The value of any older car is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it. People want cars for various reasons, the most common being they like the way they look.
If you want to have a rat car, OK, I get it, I have a few of those. There are lots of them out there. But if you want a nice car you might have to buy a project car and make it nice yourself. There aren't as many nice Scorpions, available. Turning a project car into a nice car is not cheap, takes time, and of course you have to have lots of different skills. There is a lot of wisdom in the advice - "Buy the best one you can afford."
To me it seems as if the car in the auction already had the hard work done, and done quite well at that. If the buyer wanted a Scorpion, a nice one, that car was an excellent choice. As stated above, you would have a hard time duplicating it for the price paid. And, you would have to spend a lot of time on the project. I fully understand why the buyer would spend as much as he did to get that car.
From his comments it sounds like the buyer plans to pickup the car and drive it home himself. That's the way to do it, IMHO.

It was a very nice car and reasonable given what had been done with it. Unfortunate color from my personal perspective says the man sitting in a gold and brown X waiting for his daughter to get out of work.

Glad the buyer will drive it home.

It was a very nice car and reasonable given what had been done with it. Unfortunate color from my personal perspective says the man sitting in a gold and brown X waiting for his daughter to get out of work.

Glad the buyer will drive it home.

Agree, the color did it no favors (says the man with a formerly gold Scorpion). I appreciate that it's a unique period- and factory-correct color, but I don't think I'd ever bring my car back to gold.

Lancia called it “metallic beige”. That makes it all the more unattractive. I elected to paint my beige Scorpion Lamborghini “California orange”. Looks as good as it sounds.

Agree, the color did it no favors (says the man with a formerly gold Scorpion). I appreciate that it's a unique period- and factory-correct color, but I don't think I'd ever bring my car back to gold.

Back