Broken Headlight Cover

Mark

FIATFREAK
Four days after completely restoring the glass covered headlights on my Spider, I go out to the shop only to find one the the covers split in two pieces:

No idea how this could have possibly happened. The assemblies weren't even tightened in place. Anyone have one available?

You already know this, I thnk

but you're in trouble here...the covered headlights (with apologies to JJ's radio console) really ARE the rarest and most sought after part.

You may get very lucky and find one from an owner with a spare, I'd also check the Yahoo Fiat 850 group if you haven't yet.

You can buy new here: http://reoriginals.com/lights_67.aspx

but the price is outrageous. Perhaps they'll sell you just the lens and not the whole assembly?

Sadly yes that is going to leave a mark.

The only reason these are available new is due to the use of these same lights on the Muira which mounted these as part of their tip up light system.

Hopefully someone has a stray lens. I know some folks have made plastic copies of the lens itself, both by casting and by vacuum forming of Lexan.

Perhaps you could make a master from the pieces to then create a mold either as a cavity for casting or as a male or female mold to vacuum form the part. Perhaps our resident master of craftsmanship Ricardo could use the parts to do his magic.

Sorry that is a serious bummer.

Re: headlight lens

Four days after completely restoring the glass covered headlights on my Spider, I go out to the shop only to find one the the covers split in two pieces...Anyone have one available?

Mark,
I now have a single USA-type (clear) Carello headlight cover lens available, price would be $225 with insured USPS shipping included. :pimp:

Jees Jeff

That's a hell of a good price. I have to tell you, you are one of the best people around at supporting the 850, you always seem to support the car, rather than just make a huge profit off of it. I'm very impressed.

Thanks...

That's a hell of a good price. I have to tell you, you are one of the best people around at supporting the 850, you always seem to support the car, rather than just make a huge profit off of it. I'm very impressed.

Thanks for the kind words, Jim. :)

On most of the items I list for sale, I try to offer them at a reasonable price (what I'd consider fair if I were in the buying position). I figure if I can make a modest profit while passing along a good/usable or even hard-to-find item to a fellow Fiat owner, then it's pretty much a win-win situation. And to be honest, I'd rather sell an item than have it taking up space in storage, since all profits pretty much go right back into my own cars anyway (for purchasing new/spare parts, monthly shop/storage rent, insurance/registration, etc.).

Yes, I know these Carello headlight cover lenses can often sell for BIG money, even if in poor condition. Around $275-$450+ each for the USA type seems to be the going rate. But sometimes it's less about the money & more about helping to get (or keep) another 850 on the road. I've been in Marks position before (a few times!), & know what a pain it can be trying to source a replacement lens at a somewhat-affordable price. Sometimes I luck into a good deal on parts, so passing along a good deal every now & then just seems like the "right" thing to do. :italia:

Photos for Mark

Mark,

Here are some photos as you asked for via email. I have 2 lenses for you to choose from; whichever lens you don't choose, I'll need to keep for my own 850. Both lenses are in used condition, each has its own minor flaws but both are crack-free & perfectly usable as-is (or can be ground/polished for better clarity).

Lens #1; some scratches on outer face due to bouncing around in a box with the other metal headlight bucket parts (before I bought them). One light scratch running horizontally 3/4 of the way across the center of the lens, deeper/concentrated scratches near the lower left corner, to the left of the Carello logo.

Lens #2; no scratches, but the lens has the usual light "sandblast" type pitting on the face, so it looks a little hazy (to be fair, this lens was removed from a car that sat uncovered in the desert for decades).

Please let me know asap if you want one of these lenses, & if so, which particular lens you want. I'd like to get this packed up & in the mail asap in order to avoid the lines/madhouse of the Christmas shipping rush at the Post Office. :thumbsup:

Guess not...

Mark has decided to stick with another used lens that he had already acquired elsewhere.

I have now listed lens #2 for sale on eBay, keeping lens #1 for my own 850. :)

Last edited:
Back