Brown fuse holders under the center console

dwoof

True Classic
So fixing things today under the center console, LED bulb for fiber, etc. I have a fault in that mess of wires I am chasing.

There are two brown fuse holders, with what looks like ceramic bullet style fuses, with wire wrapped around them in a spiral.

These are two fuses in series which seems odd.

What are these guys for?

Also my dome (courtesy lamp) switch face is broken, anyone have an extra? Can't find that particular one on line.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks. Now that I have LED's I'll bypass them and see what happens.
If you want to be able to dim the LEDs, you will need to get much higher value resistors. The low setting with those resistors will look about the same as the high setting due to the much lower current.

Don is right, they are resistors for the switch in the center console that works on some of the dash lights. Not to be confused with the rheostat dimmer that is also on the center console and works of some dash lights. Depending which type of "dimmer" (the one with the wheel that is continuously variable) you have, it can work on the LEDs. The other one (the three position "switch") might best be bypassed altogether, also eliminating those two resistors.

And speaking of those two resistor holders, don't confuse them with two fuse holders that are somewhat similar appearing but are actually circuit fuses (not resistors). They ran out of fuses in the fuse box panel so started adding "in-line" ones hidden in the wire harness. If you are going through things you may wish to eliminate those two inline fuses as well, be reconfiguring the wires to the fuse panel. The whole thing is a real mess.

I believe those are the red and black holders on my 75, they are up near the fuse block I think. I'm getting a 13 position Lada block so will patch at least one onto that.

I bypassed the resistors, making things simpler.

I believe those are the red and black holders on my 75, they are up near the fuse block I think. I'm getting a 13 position Lada block so will patch at least one onto that.

I bypassed the resistors, making things simpler.
If you look at a chart that shows what each fuse supplies (what electrical components are on each circuit), and compare those items with the fuse ratings (amps), you will see there are some that can be combined on to one fuse. I'm not talking about overloading a circuit. The list of components will include some items that your car does not have. Therefore some circuits have very little on them, so that circuit is under utilized. Especially if you do the usual relay mods to take the load off of the ignition and steering column switches (that significantly reduces the load on those circuits). This allows you to add something to it while still being well within the load capacity safely. Also you may have already eliminated something that was on one of the inline fuses (e.g. carb or FI cooling blower), making that inline fuse unnecessary. That way you can get everything on the Lada panel without needing any inline fuses. It's nice to have everything right there on one fuse panel, like cars were intended to be built. :)

Back