Brown Wire Modification 128?

This was probably the seat belt interlock that would keep the car from starting or sound an annoying buzzing sound if there was a passenger and the passenger seat belt was not hooked up. This was another one of those wonderful US requirements for a few years.

I'm guessing 99.528% of all Fiats that had this stupid device have had it removed or deactivated.

OK! Here is my definitive '73 USA model color diagram! It's 24"x 18" @ 450 ppi, so it's about 24 MB's full size. I'm going to print it out and laminate it (once I feel safe going to a print place!) If anyone wants it I can zip it down and email it.... This is a lo res preview.. It jacked up the colors a little. The actual file is very clear and the colors well defined and easy to trace the circuits! :)
1973_128_sedan_low-res.jpg

Last edited:
OK! Here is my definitive '73 USA model color diagram! It's 24"x 18" @ 450 ppi, so it's about 24 MB's full size. I'm going to print it out and laminate it (once I feel safe going to a print place!) If anyone wants it I can zip it down and email it.... This is a lo res preview.. It jacked up the colors a little. The actual file is very clear and the colors well defined and easy to trace the circuits! :)
View attachment 33398
Care to offer up the original file? This is very nicely done (to put it mildly). I was hoping to help you with your question about wiring your wiper motor to relays but this image is a bit fuzzy.

I have illustrator which I assume you built this in? If so can I get the original file? Or an EPS version?

Comparing your diagram to a ‘78 5 wire X diagram and then looking at the wiring done by some of the early X owners would allow us to parse out the correct sequence for your car.

Care to offer up the original file? This is very nicely done (to put it mildly). I was hoping to help you with your question about wiring your wiper motor to relays but this image is a bit fuzzy.

I have illustrator which I assume you built this in? If so can I get the original file? Or an EPS version?

Comparing your diagram to a ‘78 5 wire X diagram and then looking at the wiring done by some of the early X owners would allow us to parse out the correct sequence for your car.
Thanks! That would be so helpful! Unfortunately, it's not Vector, it's a Photoshop document, resolution dependant, each color group is a separate layer. About 25Mb as a .jpg, 424Mb as a .psd...I could probably zip it, and email it to you! I believe from looking at the switch wiring, that the Red is low speed, and the Grey is high.
1973_128_sedanWiperMotor.png
1973_128_sedan_Switches.png

Last edited:
Hey All!
In better trying to understand the electrical woes of the 128 (and Fiats of this era in general) I started making a color diagram of the wiring. I was just focusing on the power distribution circuits but then I fell down the rabbit hole and just did the whole diagram... After 2 days in Photoshop, I share it here.... It's for a Rally, but the only real differences are in the headlight wiring...

edit: for some reason the site keeps reducing the resolution, making it impossible to see the wire and trace colors accurately.. If you want it, just contact me, and I'll send it directly to you..
View attachment 32539
Can you send me this diagram with full resolution please
Email:- Ahmed_abkreno2015@yahoo.com

View attachment 33398
Hi can you send me this diagram with full resolution please my email
ahmed_abkreno2015@yahoo.com

Back