Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

Be careful with the slammed look on Vic coilovers. I have them on my X and thought the springs way too stiff....till I discovered I was riding on the bump stops. Pull off the plastic shrouds around the strut shafts (and throw them away) and fix a zip tie to the shaft to check travel.

Be careful with the slammed look on Vic coilovers. I have them on my X and thought the springs way too stiff....till I discovered I was riding on the bump stops. Pull off the plastic shrouds around the strut shafts (and throw them away) and fix a zip tie to the shaft to check travel.

exact opposite look I will be going for. Think early Lancia Stratos. I will be running higher.

Hey Bobcat,

I don't suppose you have the paint code for the gold you used to paint your wheels?

Cheers,
Dom.

I had them powder coated. Prismatic Powders (Goldtastic PMB-6625 with a smaller flake) The shape of the wheel and would make it next to impossible to spray without drips and sags. Plus I am running very aggressive pads for the BBK and will be relying on chemical brake powder wheel cleaners . Powder holds up better to them and chips.

Finally got around to fixing up and installing the early grill on the X (courtesy of CnC79X19). I also took to opportunity to replace the rad fan with new 10" and cut down the bumper tubes and tow hooks. Also now that most of the front is done I have decided to dump the early style bumperetts i was going to install to design my own bumpers along the lines of early Lambo super thin bumpers.

blue_zoom.jpg

Maybe something more along these lines?:

index.php

Ya that is the exact inspiration. I will make the front a full bumper. I will make it just big enough to cover the holes from the huge bumpers and have it attach from on the seam line. It will be a tiny bit bigger at the peak just to highlight the shape of the nose. I am currently working on the Stratos duck tail so will wait till I have that finalized before working out the rear bumpers but most likely will be a split.

Last edited:
I have some similar bumpers that I came across at a automotive swap meet several years ago. They are factory bumpers from some early 70's vehicle, no idea what. Chrome is showing its age and they'll require a bit of modifying to fit. The overall shape/design is about the same except they aren't as thin as the Lambo's, so not what you are planning. But they were cheap and should make for a easier start for me to build - I hope, that often ends up working the other way around. :oops:

It looks a little under scaled. It may not need to be much more but it needs a bit more vertical heft.

You have the right forms, it just needs to own more of the inset of the body form.

It looks a little under scaled. It may not need to be much more but it needs a bit more vertical heft.

You have the right forms, it just needs to own more of the inset of the body form.

I will have to disagree. It is the exact size I was going for. I want a thin bumper. It is just enough to cover the body holes and runs centered on the side insets. It is a delta shape with the center 2 3/8 inches at the peak and scales down to 1.5 inches and the corners. I have already made a copy of the early style bumpers that for me look way too big. I did rough up a extension of the early style to fill in the center and it looked way to big.

x_front_plugs.jpg

Looks like a smaller version of what Jovani did:
Execution is fine. After that, it is just a matter of taste. Both are fine.

I really like how tight Jovani's fit to the car. That is how I made my last design. I just could not get into the look of the early style I did and was considering going bumper less. The amazing part will be the weight. I will go from 75 lbs OEM bumper down to 3-4 oz for the carbon fiber one.

I like the thickness (or "thineness" :)) of the bumper. I would agree that stand alone it could look thin and needed maby around 10-15mm more,
but with the large air dam installed - they work nice together. Especially when be painted black.
Can you share the process? I build in plastic and fiberglass myself but it's always interesting to learn more.

I like the thickness (or "thineness" :)) of the bumper. I would agree that stand alone it could look thin and needed maby around 10-15mm more,
but with the large air dam installed - they work nice together. Especially when be painted black.
Can you share the process? I build in plastic and fiberglass myself but it's always interesting to learn more.

I work in expanded PVC blocks and sheets for the design and shaping for bigger parts. Once finalized and smoothed out I will pull a mold from it. The quality of the mold depends on if I want one part or a few. I only work in carbon fiber and sometimes will add bulk with Hemp or Flax. I am trying to do more one off 3D printed molds but the time it takes is too long for body parts. Ideally for the plugs I would like to be doing half 3D printed and half hand shaping.

Reactions: 81x
Didn't had a chance to work with that, interesting. I mostly use foamed PU boards like Sikablock or just oldschool clay when it's more free form by hand, but for small bits it's straight to the 3D printer.
Anyway, keep up with the creative and aesthetic work.

Regardless of the preference for the thickness either way, I like that a full length bumper makes for a lot less body work. I'm going bumperless and filling in all the holes, removing the large crimp seam, adding sheet metal to fill in the contours, etc, is a lot of work.

Finished off the Stratos style ducktail and lighting mounts. I have made it an all in one with the filler plate, light mounts and wing as one piece that can just bolt up without having to cut any of the body. I just have to finalize the top edge of the ducktail. I need to get it out in the open to see what it needs.

strat_back_6_sm.jpg
strat_back_sm.jpg
strat_back_2_sm.jpg
strat_back_3_sm.jpg
strat_back_4_sm.jpg
strat_back_7_sm.jpg

Back