Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

Have you been watching Boost Brothers Garage on youtube? I have been appreciating the sound (shriek) of V10's and IL5's for a while.

Very cool work with the badges and the etching.

I used to run my Volvo T5 motor to 9K + rpm - but that was only because I had a large frame turbo that was still making power up there :D The sound is amazing

The pic looks like 15s are installed??
If you plan to go "low" 195/50s might not fit well in the front.
I'm running 185/45s all round with rolled front fenders, for reference. Gonna bump up to 195/45 or 50s, in the rear. I'll be watching this thread. GL

What width and Offset are those rims? It looks great! Yes the image is me testing wheels in Photoshop.

Last edited:
What width and Offset are those rims? It looks great!
That is the question; the wheel offset, width, diameter, etc determine what size tire will work for any specific application. And for that matter, even the brand and model of tire matters - there is a huge variance for the same size between brands and models. There is no way of knowing if a particular size tire will fit without knowing all of the data. And even then it depends on each particular car's nuances for fender shape/position, suspension settings, ride height, etc, relative to other identical models (no two X's are exactly the same). Naturally this is all assuming that you are looking to achieve the ultimate "fit" with basically zero clearances. But discussing wheel specs, suspension settings, tire sizes, and all the other data is only a start, trial and error may ultimately be needed. I have one of those tire fitting gauges that is adjustable to mimic any size tire and can be fitted to the car to test for clearance. But I've found even that isn't completely accurate - there are just too many other variables involved. So you really won't know for sure until you try. It's all part of the fun of customizing. ;)

My ‘74 has the clamp at the bottom just like my ‘85. I assumed it was original. The thread hole is.

View attachment 27892
I just checked mine again. It has the feature to install the battery clamp but it does not look like it has ever been used. I never remember seeing a clamp bolted there so maybe they forgot to put it on at the factory. If I ever get a size 24 battery again, maybe I'll go look for or make a clamp.

What width and Offset are those rims? It looks great! Yes the image is me testing wheels in Photoshop.
Theyre 15x8.5 et -20 with 20mm adapters in the rear (which effectively create an et 0)

So for reference if your planning to buy the CD66 reps that are 15x7, and your planning 195/50s, you can visualize the side walls of my tires being basically flush with the wheel lip and the wheel lip flush with the fender lip (my wheels poke about 1-1.25 in)
With this in mind, you can see that even in the rear, it's gonna be close. The fronts.... I just don't see it. That's really why I "had" to go "stretched", to get the look and fitment as close to right as possible, and not rub.

That is the question; the wheel offset, width, diameter, etc determine what size tire will work for any specific application. And for that matter, even the brand and model of tire matters - there is a huge variance for the same size between brands and models. There is no way of knowing if a particular size tire will fit without knowing all of the data. And even then it depends on each particular car's nuances for fender shape/position, suspension settings, ride height, etc, relative to other identical models (no two X's are exactly the same). Naturally this is all assuming that you are looking to achieve the ultimate "fit" with basically zero clearances. But discussing wheel specs, suspension settings, tire sizes, and all the other data is only a start, trial and error may ultimately be needed. I have one of those tire fitting gauges that is adjustable to mimic any size tire and can be fitted to the car to test for clearance. But I've found even that isn't completely accurate - there are just too many other variables involved. So you really won't know for sure until you try. It's all part of the fun of customizing. ;)

Exactly! To get the perfect fit will most likely need some modification of some component. You have to go in with your eyes open and be prepared to make modifications.

Theyre 15x8.5 et -20 with 20mm adapters in the rear (which effectively create an et 0)

So for reference if your planning to buy the CD66 reps that are 15x7, and your planning 195/50s, you can visualize the side walls of my tires being basically flush with the wheel lip and the wheel lip flush with the fender lip (my wheels poke about 1-1.25 in)
With this in mind, you can see that even in the rear, it's gonna be close. The fronts.... I just don't see it. That's really why I "had" to go "stretched", to get the look and fitment as close to right as possible, and not rub.

That is a lot of wheel to get in there. I would always prefer to get the most rubber under the wheels as possible. I have not set the coilover height yet and will be favoring a bit higher stance. I will roll and pull and trim the fenders as needed. Think early road going Stratos for the look. What tires brand are you running? So hard to find matching tires in the right side. I would love to make a set of these work.

cinturatoP7.JPG

I would always prefer to get the most rubber under the wheels as possible.
I'm the same; I like to retain some decent sidewall height (on a vintage car like the X), and have a tire that is a bit wider than the rim (to protect the rim lip as well as the look). To me a 15" wheel is a good size on the X, allowing a decent tire size to be used as described. But this is all completely subjective, I'm talking more for appearance than performance. And that's just my taste. I'm also very active in the German car world and the old VW guys are all about poke and stretch.

I saw somewhere that the old Pirelli's (like those P7's) are being reproduced (or at least copied). It might have been someone like Coker Tire? And it might have only been in the sizes used on the early Countach? I really don't remember.

Here are a few Light mods that I have done. With the big bumper removal getting ready for the little early CF versions I upgraded the front turns to Lada units with LEDs and 3D printed some headlight fillers. The headlights are projectors with LED high and lows. I copied the style of the early side marker lights and 3D printed them to fit inside the OEM marker gaskets and fitted 1" LED lights. Amber for the front, Red at the back.

frontsignal.jpg
projector.jpg
marker.jpg

I'm the same; I like to retain some decent sidewall height (on a vintage car like the X), and have a tire that is a bit wider than the rim (to protect the rim lip as well as the look). To me a 15" wheel is a good size on the X, allowing a decent tire size to be used as described. But this is all completely subjective, I'm talking more for appearance than performance. And that's just my taste. I'm also very active in the German car world and the old VW guys are all about poke and stretch.

I saw somewhere that the old Pirelli's (like those P7's) are being reproduced (or at least copied). It might have been someone like Coker Tire? And it might have only been in the sizes used on the early Countach? I really don't remember.

Pirelli is releasing a whole series with some from the 50.60.70.80.and 90s. I to am from the modified VAG world, performance Audi's mostly. Here is some of my custom CF intake and bay bits work.

bay_sm.jpg

Here is the web page describing the tires they are reproducing for vintage cars: https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/car/collection I read elsewhere that they are using modern materials and processes so I would expect them to be at least as good as the originals. At one time, I had 185-70/13 CN36s on my X. It handled great and they really filled up the wheel wells much better than 185-60/13s. Overall ride height was only slightly higher than the original 145-82/13 XAS tires. They lasted until 60 series tires started to appear, at which time I replaced them with some Phoenix Stahlflex 185-60/13s.. When it is time to go tire shopping, I would consider going back to them.

Here are a few Light mods that I have done. With the big bumper removal getting ready for the little early CF versions I upgraded the front turns to Lada units with LEDs and 3D printed some headlight fillers. The headlights are projectors with LED high and lows. I copied the style of the early side marker lights and 3D printed them to fit inside the OEM marker gaskets and fitted 1" LED lights. Amber for the front, Red at the back.

Did you make the carbon fiber bumpers yourself? At some point I'd really like to try making a carbon fiber front splitter in the same style you have.

Did you make the carbon fiber bumpers yourself? At some point I'd really like to try making a carbon fiber front splitter in the same style you have.

Yes I make the CF bits. That spliter is just the plug it will be made out of CF once I finalize all the shapes. The CF on this car will be very dark Blue epoxy CF in a Matt finish on the exterior. Matt Black on the interior.

Here is the web page describing the tires they are reproducing for vintage cars: https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/car/collection I read elsewhere that they are using modern materials and processes so I would expect them to be at least as good as the originals. At one time, I had 185-70/13 CN36s on my X. It handled great and they really filled up the wheel wells much better than 185-60/13s. Overall ride height was only slightly higher than the original 145-82/13 XAS tires. They lasted until 60 series tires started to appear, at which time I replaced them with some Phoenix Stahlflex 185-60/13s.. When it is time to go tire shopping, I would consider going back to them.

not much in the 13" size anymore. Hopefully the 15"s will be available for a few years more.

Yes I make the CF bits. That spliter is just the plug it will be made out of CF once I finalize all the shapes. The CF on this car will be very dark Blue epoxy CF in a Matt finish on the exterior. Matt Black on the interior.
Very cool. I hope you post the process when you do

I doubt many (if any) people would ever notice. Frankly I didn't look close enough to catch it. In fact how many people even know what it means or how it should be spelled? But it appears making these isn't difficult for you, so I'm sure you will redo it.

Back