Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

The stacks will fit under a stock cover with a fair bit of room for a flat filter on the top or Cap filters. My car will not have a cover but Stratos style louvers so I will have taller stacks and lots of room. The key is to have a straight shot for the injectors to the valves. The distance is a s long as I could make it to get more power up top. Side shot shows there is a lot of room. I will be doing a different valve cover to mimic some sort of old Italian motor. These motor can have just a 1/4 inch plate for a valve cover. That tall part is just part of the PVC system that will be replaced with a better system relocated. But even this stock cover fits under the cover.

328845607_931237591215762_320854942898992274_n.jpg
Thank you. Very cool.

Sorry a few more questions. The throttle bodies are individual units from the looks of them, any particular application they came from? I am looking at alternative approaches to the intake on my SOHC engine and have been looking at a number of options. I am looking at DCNF intake manifolds and am looking at different approaches to conveying the air as well as placing eh injectors, this set up looks like a good angle for what I am looking at. Pico or ‘std’ Bosch type injectors in the throttle bodies?

I need to read more carefully. Sigh.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Post #398: "50mm ITBs from a BMW s85 V10". ;)

I imagine they needed to be relocated relative to one another to space them correctly for this application?
Thanks, I need to go back through and read it all again. Plus it was just a few posts back. I am an idiot…sigh. Glad you were here to remind me :)

As they are individual they are wherever you put them :)

These are very similar in terms of base assemblies to the ones used on the early FI Yamaha and Suzuki motorcycle motors, just without the nice bend in them.

Amazing thread, just read it from the beginning.
Sorry if I missed it, what are you using for 3D scanning?

Post #398: "50mm ITBs from a BMW s85 V10". ;)

I imagine they needed to be relocated relative to one another to space them correctly for this application?

Yes they had to be spaced closer for the 07k head. I had done a version that each had a slight curve to the runners to make up the difference but was able to rework the layout so they we all a straight shot. It will take making a new linkage bar that runs through needle bearings. I may be able to just redrill the s85 bar.

👍

I haven't looked closely, there's no linkage for the butterflys between them?I

I do not have the linkage bar in the scan. It runs through needle bearings in the individual TBs. I will need a shorter one or redrill and shorten the original.

Pic from the interweb that shows the linkage bar.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. Very cool.

Sorry a few more questions. The throttle bodies are individual units from the looks of them, any particular application they came from? I am looking at alternative approaches to the intake on my SOHC engine and have been looking at a number of options. I am looking at DCNF intake manifolds and am looking at different approaches to conveying the air as well as placing eh injectors, this set up looks like a good angle for what I am looking at. Pico or ‘std’ Bosch type injectors in the throttle bodies?

I need to read more carefully. Sigh.

Thank you for your time.

Once the 1.5 8 valve is out I will be converting that to Itbs and standalone. I will use the sherry berg style ITBs as they mount up to Weber manifolds. Looking to do a full kit for old single cam and twin cams. I never want to have to deal with a carb again.

51CXCP-9n2S._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I do not have the linkage bar in the scan. It runs through needle bearings in the individual TBs. I will need a shorter one or redrill and shorten the original.

Pic from the interweb that shows the linkage bar.

s-l1600.jpg
I figured there must be a common connection.
I think it would be best to modify and reuse the original bar. That way everything is to proper spec as designed by BMW. Your limiting factor will be how close together these ITBs can be without interfering with one another, but I know you have that covered.

Once the 1.5 8 valve is out I will be converting that to Itbs and standalone. I will use the sherry berg style ITBs as they mount up to Weber manifolds. Looking to do a full kit for old single cam and twin cams. I never want to have to deal with a carb again.

51CXCP-9n2S._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Those TBs were intended as replacements for Weber IDF carbs. But they made them in such a way that it would not be difficult to separate them and mount as you please. And the fact IDFs are downdraft carbs won't matter with these FI units, they can be mounted on their sides.

In another thread I suggested using the TBs intended for DCOE carbs, mounted on a DCOE manifold for the SOHC. While the spacing isn't optimal, it's not that bad and it is a easy bolt-on setup with no engineering/modification required. The same source also sells DCOE TBs for a very good price. And speaking of that source, as I noted in the other thread the quality of their Weber carb clones may have a little to be desired in the more integrate areas. But for TBs that shouldn't be an issue, as they are so simple and basic of a design.

I have Creaform scanners and use VRmodel
like this one? https://3dprintingindustry.com/news...-technical-specifications-and-pricing-185599/

Company I used to work for had Faro arms with 3D scanner attachments. That was more than 10 yrs ago so surely much better, cheaper equipment out there today but still apparently not at the stage where everyone's phone can produce usable 3D scans for this type of stuff.

What are you going to make the cam covers out of?

And sorry if I missed it (just re-read first few pages of thread) but why are you going with 5-cylinder Audi vs Honda? Something different, that's what you're more familiar with, etc?

like this one? https://3dprintingindustry.com/news...-technical-specifications-and-pricing-185599/

Company I used to work for had Faro arms with 3D scanner attachments. That was more than 10 yrs ago so surely much better, cheaper equipment out there today but still apparently not at the stage where everyone's phone can produce usable 3D scans for this type of stuff.

What are you going to make the cam covers out of?

And sorry if I missed it (just re-read first few pages of thread) but why are you going with 5-cylinder Audi vs Honda? Something different, that's what you're more familiar with, etc?
Yes like that. We have two one for smaller detailed parts up to one foot and the other to do bigger parts like car panels or full interiors. Both use the same software so I can mix and match high res scans with lower res scans. Creaform has incredible software for moving from mesh To cad.

I will Print one but may have one printed out of billet. I have been getting better at making prints look like old castings with cerekote.

The VW/Audi 5 cylinder 07k is basically Half a Lambo Gallardo V10. Seems more fitting for a car the is a hodge podge of italian bits. There is the sound, a million time better than a 4. I actually have a k20 and a monster liter motor that both were in contention but this just seems so much more right. Will rev to 9500. will make 250-300 NA wheel with almost equal torques. Has a A cup flat power band.

Printing or milling out of billet aluminum?

Looks good!
I will print the first. Maybe mill one. I have a friend that does these out of billet for Boosted Brothers. It may end up being a compilation of billet plate, printed fin details and one of my etched emblems. The oem is plastic and surprisingly thin and simple. literally could make one out of a 1/4 plate of anything.

Back