Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

Ok, so I have to warn you. If you keep demonstrating all of these amazing skills, then everyone is going to want you to make more for them. So before you decide about that, you really need to consider one thing....I am the first to ask, will you make stuff for me? :D

I'm surprised no one has asked for a carbon fiber targa roof. It would be so light that even scrawny old guys like me could handle it.

I'm surprised no one has asked for a carbon fiber targa roof. It would be so light that even scrawny old guys like me could handle it.

I am not sure about what to do with the roof. If I had a spare to pull apart to see if it would be possible to pull some sort of mold from it. Not sure if the costs could be recovered for producing an all CF roof. Anybody know the weight of all the versions of the OEM roof?

Anybody know the weight of all the versions of the OEM roof?
That was covered in a previous thread. Hopefully someone has the link to it? Various ideas were tossed around for roof options and the weight issue was a key topic.

"Say hello to my little friend!"

cocain.jpg

So while the body and interior changes are underway I have started to assemble the bits for the motor swap. Was able to find some BMW M5 ITBs and injectors that will be a perfect fit for the 2.5 07k 5 pot. Bonus I will have enough for 2.
ITBs.jpg

So you have decided on the VW 07K 2.5? Curious if you've done any test fitting yet? I'm really interested to see how it will squeeze into the engine bay. :)

So you have decided on the VW 07K 2.5? Curious if you've done any test fitting yet? I'm really interested to see how it will squeeze into the engine bay. :)

No test fitting yet just measurements. The block from pulley to bell housing is about 2 inches longer but the trans, both the 5 speed and 6 speed, are much shorter. I am going with the ITBs so there will be a lot more clearance than the OEM 07K manifold. It is a bit taller and with the ITBs it will be even taller but that is Y I will be doing so much alteration to the rear. I have finalized the design of the back end. It should be good for 200-220 hp and the same in torques and rev to 8500-9000. Half a lambo motor back there seems fitting for the car.

In looking at this motor it seems like the same issues that exist with the K swap will exist here, perhaps even worse due to the dual plane accesssory belt approach VW took.

VW puts the AC compressor near the bottom of the block with a dual plane pulley that acts as the translation from the crank pulley to the rest of the accessories. The AC compressor makes the assembly very blocky in the area where the engine bay structure ring runs on the X.

This is an interesting swap so I am interested in your plans around this. Is there a kit the Porsche folks have used to change to a single plane accessory drive scheme that would allow moving the lowest accessory upward to minimize the interaction with the X structure?

Looking forward to seeing more on your swap.

In looking at this motor it seems like the same issues that exist with the K swap will exist here, perhaps even worse due to the dual plane accesssory belt approach VW took.

VW puts the AC compressor near the bottom of the block with a dual plane pulley that acts as the translation from the crank pulley to the rest of the accessories. The AC compressor makes the assembly very blocky in the area where the engine bay structure ring runs on the X.

This is an interesting swap so I am interested in your plans around this. Is there a kit the Porsche folks have used to change to a single plane accessory drive scheme that would allow moving the lowest accessory upward to minimize the interaction with the X structure?

Looking forward to seeing more on your swap.

The VW belt system will be simplified with the removal of the AC pump, PS pump and relocation of the alt. There will also be a bunch of other parts removed from the motor that will make it considerably smaller. The OEM intake manifold is huge. The ITBs will take up less than a third of the space. Things like Secondary air pump and all the plumbing will be removed. We have worked with Isamm on other projects ( a fellow northerner, who's company makes a lot of the Boosted Brothers 07K swap products) so we will be using his parts and CNC services for this build. We have our own VAG products to take care of a lot of the other bits like crank case ventilation. A lot of that and coolant overflow will be move to the trunk space behind the wheels. There is great support for standalone ECUs for the 07K both in NA and boosted forms. Like you said it will be like a K swap.

I presume a new waterpump pulley is used to bring it in plane with the crank pulley.

I will have a look at Boosted Bro’s. Where would I look to see the products you offer (I apparently missed your affiliation with a parts maker/reseller).

Thanks

folks have used to change to a single plane accessory drive scheme
I know there are several options to do that with other VW engines, using a combination of various stock components from different VW engines. It is common for AC and/or power steering deletes. But I'm not familiar with what can be done to the 5-cyl in this respect. So I'll also be curious to hear what you guys come up with.

I know there are several options to do that with other VW engines, using a combination of various stock components from different VW engines. It is common for AC and/or power steering deletes. But I'm not familiar with what can be done to the 5-cyl in this respect. So I'll also be curious to hear what you guys come up with.

It will be moving the alternator to the AC compressor location. That alone saves about 8" in width.

I presume a new waterpump pulley is used to bring it in plane with the crank pulley.

I will have a look at Boosted Bro’s. Where would I look to see the products you offer (I apparently missed your affiliation with a parts maker/reseller).

Thanks

We only do short runs of products that are all pre -sold or custom. We took down all retail as we could not keep up with inquiries . Way to much time answering questions.

A few pieces to the puzzle arrived yesterday. Took me a long time to settle on wheels but I am really glad I was picky. Once the OEM spacer is off they will be a perfect fit. After a quick test fit they were off to be powder coated Gold-Tastic and make some custom center caps. Not sure on the caliper color, may just leave them gray maybe body color? Once the wheels are back I will be able to get going on the brakes. Will be full front and back, with new calipers, SS lines, slave, clutch, and master cylinders. Also got going on some plastic welding, retexturing and recolor. I am waiting on the second dye color to arrive but have started on the black pieces. I will be doing CF door card inserts but figured I would fix and Dye the cards. Sorry for the pic dump.

anyway.
arivals.jpg
side2.jpg
side.jpg
brakes.jpg
rears.jpg
breaks1.jpg
breaks2.jpg
breaks3.jpg
breaks4.jpg

texture.jpg

colorchange.jpg
doorcard.jpg

Yeah those wheel caps are minging. I took mine and chucked them up in the drill press with a 3/8" bolt and turned them down to a nice round profile which still allowed the decal to sit. Easy and relaxing work, then painted 'em flat black.

Yeah those wheel caps are minging. I took mine and chucked them up in the drill press with a 3/8" bolt and turned them down to a nice round profile which still allowed the decal to sit. Easy and relaxing work, then painted 'em flat black.

I am going to do the same as you. Take that massive edge off and make some center badges like my sig image. I may drop them off to see if the powder coat company that has the wheels can do anything with them. They are thick so maybe they could hold up to some heat. If not paint to match.

It's probably because of my racing past, but center caps are left at home in a box. I'm using them on all of my other cars, but on x1/9 I usually remove them for a later usage (like "selling the car" :eek:)

So just got all the speaker parts of the head unit. This should get my Neil Diamond cassettes pumping in the X. Component 6.5s for the kick plates, tweets for the doors or dash, 4x6 for back and going to reuse some Audi Bose 6” subs, that I repaired, in the spare wheel well behind the passenger. Will make a box that works with a old honda space saver spare.

Speakers.jpg

Back