Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

A little more progress this afternoon. Got all the interior bits dyed the Porsche Cork Tan. Tried something a little different with the Door cards while I wait for some CF supplies. Got the screen for the head unit notched into the cluster housing so it fits nice and flush. Also got the glove-box door finished and it is actually working completely and the lock matches the door!!

cork1.jpg
cork2.jpg

Really looking good Bob.

Another cup holder option might be a slide-out "double cup" version that fits into a standard (single DIN) radio hole. This might be for those with the later dash that has a radio hole, but they do not want to retain the radio (some prefer the engine sounds to music). There are two trays; top one is a slim storage box, lower one is the cup holders.
It also comes in slightly different version with a larger storage box but no cup holders (single tray).

This would be a easy conversion to when the dash isn't being customized:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32717774366.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.2ef42e0eiti6WV

Don't be confused by the title describing it as a double DIN size. What they mean is this will convert a double DIN to a single DIN by filling half of the hole with this accessory. See the dimensions.

You need to get one from the C5 A6/s6/rs6, B5 A4/s4/rs4 and the first Gen A8s to have both corners the same. The later ones had one rounded and one square corner.

Phew. I just checked - the one I oredered was for '02-'08 A4 - looks like it's square corners on both sides. I used the number off your photo for the search.

A little more progress this afternoon. Got all the interior bits dyed the Porsche Cork Tan. Tried something a little different with the Door cards while I wait for some CF supplies. Got the screen for the head unit notched into the cluster housing so it fits nice and flush. Also got the glove-box door finished and it is actually working completely and the lock matches the door!!

View attachment 29779 View attachment 29780

The cork tan (looks like the Volvo butterscotch from the late 80's- early90's) Looks really good :)

I wasn't too keen initially on the carbon fiber interior pieces but contrasted against the cork it works. Looks like it will be a nicely balanced two-tone compartment.

I wasn't too keen initially on the carbon fiber interior pieces but contrasted against the cork it works.
Ya, the carbon fiber look for interiors sort of got hurt a little by the popularity of the "fake" vinyl stick-on stuff that was so common with the "JDM" vehicle crowd...especially when it was a poor imitation that did not look anything like the real stuff. With these parts being the real deal, I imagine they look even better in person.

The CF will get toned down a bit when the matte finish is on. The car will have a lot of CF highlights interior, exterior and engine bay. Final finish will be the same as this, not dull but no shine.

05DA59D6-175D-4FC6-BEED-2B9BC97E54D7.jpeg

So now we have the Fiolvo and the Fiudi.

You guys...

You both have a tendency to grab that which you are most familiar with. Or it it just what is near to hand? :)

I tend to find things that work . You would be hard pressed to find a better designed and compact cup holder than the Audi ones. Certainly never in Italy. I grabbed a few more parts when I was pulling the holder like the Brake handle. Hell I build all the bikes I do with Ford duratec coil packs because they are rock solid.

calling it a fiaudi because of a cup holder is a bit weak, then again when it has the swap with a VAG 2.5 block and a Lamborghini head and header with BMW M5 ITB’s, maybe something German would be appropriate.

I tend to find things that work . You would be hard pressed to find a better designed and compact cup holder than the Audi ones. Certainly never in Italy. I grabbed a few more parts when I was pulling the holder like the Brake handle. Hell I build all the bikes I do with Ford duratec coil packs because they are rock solid.

calling it a fiaudi because of a cup holder is a bit weak, then again when it has the swap with a VAG 2.5 block and a Lamborghini head and header with BMW M5 ITB’s, maybe something German would be appropriate.

Sorry, I am kidding. The number of Volvo parts on Hussien’s X is quite astounding. It is fun to see well placed hacks on these cars to make them exactly what there owners want them to be. So drive on with the things you are doing, it wasn’t meant as a slight or criticism of your choices. Have you seen what that other Carl has done to his car? Or the ones before it?

Although there are a number of concours level cars in the group here, most of us don’t mind the modification of the cars to reach the owners image of what it should be.

Sorry, I am kidding. The number of Volvo parts on Hussien’s X is quite astounding. It is fun to see well placed hacks on these cars to make them exactly what there owners want them to be. So drive on with the things you are doing, it wasn’t meant as a slight or criticism of your choices. Have you seen what that other Carl has done to his car? Or the ones before it?

Although there are a number of concours level cars in the group here, most of us don’t mind the modification of the cars to reach the owners image of what it should be.

I knew you were just kidding. No offense taken. I am not familiar with Hussien's X. Links? My car will have some very radical changes. The real big ones on the outside. It will not be everybody's cup of tea. But I love the re-design part of all my builds. Maintenance sucks! Modifications Rule!

I knew you were just kidding. No offense taken. I am not familiar with Hussien's X. Links? My car will have some very radical changes. The real big ones on the outside. It will not be everybody's cup of tea. But I love the re-design part of all my builds. Maintenance sucks! Modifications Rule!

Sorry, Hussein is Lookforjoe. Or maybe its vice versa :)

Ok, so this cup holder...it fits where the ash tray goes? Any modification needed?

I'm the wrong one to ask - I don't have it yet :D

What I did notice looking at Bobkats pic again, is that he made a custom cover panel with a smaller opening for the cupholder-

index.php

the stock ashtray is wider - so I'm not sure how I will deal with it now

IMG-20200302-173705.jpg

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I saw one of those VAG cupholders in person, but I am pretty sure it will require some custom modifications of some sort to fit nicely. As you say it is smaller than the ashtray. That's why I mentioned the ones that fit a standard radio slot in the event someone didn't want to make a custom console in order to add it. But naturally that would eliminate the radio, so still not ideal.

Three thoughts on how it might be done. The obvious one is to make a "filler" plate to make up the difference in size, and not alter the rest of the console. The other obvious approach is to make a complete custom faceplate for the console. But a third possibility might be to take the face of the ashtray off the ashtray and mount it onto the face of the cupholder, mounting the cupholder behind it so things still look stock.

Back