Build Thread for La Bambina Azzura.

the original seats really have very little support for spirited driving
I think i really need to come up with a new solution for X seats.
I have a different view from some others about the original seats, I'm not overly fond of them. In addition to not offering much support (as you described), I think they are too "heavy" looking. By that I mean too bulky and large for the tiny interior of the X. And they are very heavy in the literal sense as well. Personally I don't find them extremely comfortable but that is totally a preference. Style wise they look like pretty much most stock factory seats, fairly plain rather than true "sports car" (in my opinion). I think even if the covers were restyled they still would not appeal a lot to me, which is why I've removed them from both of the X's I'm currently building.

I definitely prefer the aftermarket seats you showed previously. Those are a classic sport seat style. And will offer great support. Again, purely my personal opinion, and I completely respect the opinions of others.

I have a different view from some others about the original seats, I'm not overly fond of them. In addition to not offering much support (as you described), I think they are too "heavy" looking. By that I mean too bulky and large for the tiny interior of the X. And they are very heavy in the literal sense as well. Personally I don't find them extremely comfortable but that is totally a preference. Style wise they look like pretty much most stock factory seats, fairly plain rather than true "sports car" (in my opinion). I think even if the covers were restyled they still would not appeal a lot to me, which is why I've removed them from both of the X's I'm currently building.

I definitely prefer the aftermarket seats you showed previously. Those are a classic sport seat style. And will offer great support. Again, purely my personal opinion, and I completely respect the opinions of others.

The new seats are classic designs and the vents are functional. I still will try to alter them to make them fit. They need to be much lower. I am with you on the OEM seats. Just not sporty enough in looks and they offer very little lateral support. Whatever seats go in they have to almost have no thickness at the back side of the lower cushion. The oem ones are no more than an 1 1/2 thick at the back when loaded with a person.

I remember those chrome ring seat vents in some classic vintage Euro exotics, maybe around of the 70's era? But at the moment I don't recall the specific car models...anyone?

The restrictive interior space and need for "thin" seats was never more apparent than the Porsche 914.

I remember those chrome ring seat vents in some classic vintage Euro exotics, maybe around of the 70's era? But at the moment I don't recall the specific car models...anyone?

The restrictive interior space and need for "thin" seats was never more apparent than the Porsche 914.
I saw the chrome ring seat vents on a GT40 that was often parked at my college campus in the late 60s. It did not appear to have much more interior space than a 914 or X.

You also see them in some Ferarri’s

They look good, I just find the non adjustable angle insufferable and the bolsters are so large it makes gettin in and out of the car just about ridiculous.

I use my car differently (nearly daily driver) so my needs are different from others.

914 seats would have even less lateral support that the X seats.

You also see them in some Ferarri’s

They look good, I just find the non adjustable angle insufferable and the bolsters are so large it makes gettin in and out of the car just about ridiculous.

I use my car differently (nearly daily driver) so my needs are different from others.

I find that a little Pam on my ass cheeks makes it a bit easier.

04BB2C76-1573-4A39-A5CF-9F529C3C3278.jpeg
Just made these up for jack stands to use the factory cart holes.

79ADA7CA-1AEC-4B3C-8CC7-9E10D680A7F8.jpeg

Excellent point Karl. If it is a daily driver, getting in and out of it constantly, then the high side bolsters are definitely a pain...especially for the older types like me. Some of the 80's VW's had Recaro seats with a rather high bolster and a fabric upholstery covering it. And the upholstery and foam always got worn out there from dragging one's ass over it. For that matter a daily driver isn't as likely to be driven on the track much either, so having a lot of side support isn't as important. So the choice of seat style would depend on the use of the car.

Just made these up for jack stands to use the factory cart holes
Great idea. I love making stuff like this. I have quite an array of "specialty" tools that I've fabbed up for various jobs. Maybe one of these days I'll post some pics in the "tool thread".

For your adaptors, perhaps you could even add a couple of side plates to assure they don't slip on the stands. The adaptor you made will be held to the chassis with the pin on top. But the underside might be a bit slippy on the top of the stand. I had one of my X's slide off a jack stand once. Not fun. Granted I did not have these adapters, but the chassis just slid on the top of the stand.

Here is what I'm thinking possibly. A small plate like this on either side, welded to the bottom of the adaptor piece. There may be even better approaches to it, but you get the idea:
04BB2C76-1573-4A39-A5CF-9F529C3C3278.jpg

I made an adapter to jack up the X from the side of the chassis. It fits into the square hole that the factory jack goes into, then has a pad for a floor jack. This isn't my idea, they have been doing this for classic Porsches and VW's for ages. I just made one that fits the X:
s-l300.jpg

Some time back we discussed various methods of lifting the X high enough to securely work under it. One design of jack adapter/vehicle stand that I mentioned is like this:

Rennstand.jpg
31357684_2429905733701503_2781426975577735168_n.jpg

However my X's sit so low it would have to be custom designed to work. One of these days I might try. But I also want a version that will allow me to raise the car rather high up and secure it.

Great idea. I love making stuff like this. I have quite an array of "specialty" tools that I've fabbed up for various jobs. Maybe one of these days I'll post some pics in the "tool thread".

For your adaptors, perhaps you could even add a couple of side plates to assure they don't slip on the stands. The adaptor you made will be held to the chassis with the pin on top. But the underside might be a bit slippy on the top of the stand. I had one of my X's slide off a jack stand once. Not fun. Granted I did not have these adapters, but the chassis just slid on the top of the stand.

Here is what I'm thinking possibly. A small plate like this on either side, welded to the bottom of the adaptor piece. There may be even better approaches to it, but you get the idea:
View attachment 30678

I made an adapter to jack up the X from the side of the chassis. It fits into the square hole that the factory jack goes into, then has a pad for a floor jack. This isn't my idea, they have been doing this for classic Porsches and VW's for ages. I just made one that fits the X:
View attachment 30679

Some time back we discussed various methods of lifting the X high enough to securely work under it. One design of jack adapter/vehicle stand that I mentioned is like this:

View attachment 30680 View attachment 30681

However my X's sit so low it would have to be custom designed to work. One of these days I might try. But I also want a version that will allow me to raise the car rather high up and secure it.

That is not a bad idea adding a small plate to keep it form sliding. I will do it after it is down off them . Rock solid right now on them.

I have some 20" stands that get cars up but this think came in a email this week. Looks very interesting. Maybe with an adapter that hit those pins.

Rock solid right now on them.
;) Nice!

I wish I had a link to the thread we did about various lifts, jacks, stands, etc. A lot of great options were discussed.
For now I'm doing something similar to you, using very tall jack stands. I made an extension for one of my floor jacks so I can get the car up that high. Then I use four stands to make the car secure. The jack extension I made came from seeing a jack on display at a trade show, similar to the one below, with a removable extension for the pad:
T83006_6.jpg

Now I could explain what NOT to do. A long time ago, when I was a younger man, I was renting a garage on the other side of my street to be able to work on my Fiat all winter long. It was a 1974 and the PO fitted a hitch, welded in the trunk with just the tongue exiting thru the rear bodywork, in the center of the car.

To be able to raise the car high enough, I used an old american car jack under that tongue. You know, that kind of model:
nicky-grist-motorsports-red-spec-jack.jpg

Then, I slide myself under the engine to do some work. Well, after rocking the engine a bit too much, the stand started to fall on one side. I didn't used any other means of supporting the car other than a wheel laying flat. So the engine lay on my chest with the jack still supporting most of the weight but with an angle of approx. 70 degrees... I couldn't pull myself out but I still could move my arms and legs. Not comfy, but it wasn't hurting too much.

My first idea was too lift the car from my position. After all, I was in a perfect position to do some bench lift. The Fiat is light, but not enough. I told myself my wife will come help me when she will not see me coming back. But I finally realize that it could take a really, really long time because she was used to loose me for hours on my Fiat. Maybe only tomorrow. And anyway, the door was locked and I had the only key. Yelling for the neighbours will not do. Walls too thick, sidewalk too far... nobody will hear me. So after laying on the concrete floor for nearly an hour, I made a MacGuiver of myself. I had some tools in my reach. In fact, just a screwdriver. I removed one hose clamps (but I can't figure out which one it could be), then I used it I to reach for my floor jack that was just a couple of inches too far for me and pull it towards me. Then with my legs, I pumped the handle enough to raise the weight of the car and I was able to slip out...

Now, I tend to use more jackstands than required...

Last edited:
View attachment 30679

My jack tubes are a bit out of square. I was thinking of just inserting a tight fitting piece of square aluminum stock to use it as a permanent Jack pad.

View attachment 30678

View attachment 30679

View attachment 30680 View attachment 30681

Have you seen the price of those? A set of four and you're half way to a quick jack.

Back