building a new garage

autox19

True Classic
So I get to have a new garage. This is coming about because my old garage was transformed into an "in-law" suite. It wont be housing my in-laws, but my wifes uncle. He has been mentally disabled since 11. He is to the point he cant really stay at his house (where he has been his whole life) alone anymore and seeing as we are the closest family we thought it would be the best for us to take care of him. The good news, is once he is in and settled, his house will be sold. Once the estate pays back his sister (My wife's mom) for back taxes and a few legal fees, I get to build a new garage. After my wife and I talking for a bit, we decided on a 36x56x14 with a 10 foot porch. Yes it is big. I also lost my 3 car garage and my full basement when she and I bought "our" house. (current house has no basement for storage) looking at one side being used as a "normal" garage to house the minivans, and the other being used as a shop. for the fiats.
36x56 garage.png
resident side_w_van.png
shopside3.png

here are the current ideas. any thoughts, insight, as I have never had a pole barn built, would be appreciated.

Odie

First let me say kudos to you and your wife for assisting with the uncle. I am currently the full-time caregiver for my 95yo mom, who is handicapped, has some dementia, and has lots of health care needs. So I know it is a challenge to be in your role. I'm not religious but maybe there is something like 'karma' that will repay you guys some day.

About the garage all I can say is the bigger the better. It is shocking how fast you can fill any size space. And 'storage' seems to take up the most room - at least in my experience. So if you can create a lot of accessible second story / attic storage space that would be a big plus. Maybe plan for a lift of some sort in the future (I like the two post type). They require particular foundation needs and are not usually portable so the floor plan needs to be planned accordingly. A couple of other things I've encountered are the heights of the ceiling and doorways (eventually there will be some sort of taller vehicle or other item that needs to clear), and the locations of the doors (you will be gathering more vehicles with the added garage space, so you'll need to get them in and out around the others).

I'm envious, really miss my large workshop. My situation is temporary (but semi long term) so I struggle with how much time and money to invest in building my existing space into what I want/need. But in your case do as much as you possibly can as soon as you can possibly do it. That way the invest has more time/opportunity to repay you. Trust me, eventually you will do it all so if you can swing it in the beginning it is a better investment.

Let us know how it goes.

First let me say kudos to you and your wife for assisting with the uncle. I am currently the full-time caregiver for my 95yo mom, who is handicapped, has some dementia, and has lots of health care needs. So I know it is a challenge to be in your role. I'm not religious but maybe there is something like 'karma' that will repay you guys some day.

About the garage all I can say is the bigger the better. It is shocking how fast you can fill any size space. And 'storage' seems to take up the most room - at least in my experience. So if you can create a lot of accessible second story / attic storage space that would be a big plus. Maybe plan for a lift of some sort in the future (I like the two post type). They require particular foundation needs and are not usually portable so the floor plan needs to be planned accordingly. A couple of other things I've encountered are the heights of the ceiling and doorways (eventually there will be some sort of taller vehicle or other item that needs to clear), and the locations of the doors (you will be gathering more vehicles with the added garage space, so you'll need to get them in and out around the others).

I'm envious, really miss my large workshop. My situation is temporary (but semi long term) so I struggle with how much time and money to invest in building my existing space into what I want/need. But in your case do as much as you possibly can as soon as you can possibly do it. That way the invest has more time/opportunity to repay you. Trust me, eventually you will do it all so if you can swing it in the beginning it is a better investment.

Let us know how it goes.
Plans are for spring so no real updates, but will keep this place informed. Maybe a michigan garage/open house.
I dont think i can go much bigger without the wife complaining we look like a farm. It started out as a 32x40 so i already added what i think i can get away with.
We originally had attic trusses but 2 different bidders said they could but it will be like 15000 more as you need more of them and they are more expensive. Plus more labor. The one builder we like mentioned building a loftish type inside. If it is " non permemant it wont have to deal with codes. (Put it in after inspection)
A lift is on my mind. As was the builders. He recommemded to concrete the "shop" side as if we were going to put one in. The issue i have is where it will go. I went with a single door on the shop side as i want the sides for work benches/tools. I need to draw it out a bit more. As long as i can pull a car around the lift maybe i can put it in the center of the door. But in further.

We have been taking care of craig for over 10 years since his brother passed. The biggest issue is he is 4 miles (10 min with traffic) and with things as simple as "my meds didnt come out of the dispenser" causes us to have to drive to validate. So having him on premise will be much easier.

Odie

I second the suggestion to create a second story / attic storage space, or mezzanine. That'll be the cheapest storage area you ever bought.
Consider using a clear ridge vent. Without something like that it'll be like being in a cave when the doors are closed.
Also I suggest sizing at least one garage door for possible future "big stuff" like a motor home. You may not have one, and may never plan to have one, but the next buyer might be attracted to your home because it'll accommodate a big motor home/boat. 14' should be big enough, 12' might not?
Oh, and for the entrance door consider a 48" door. It never hurts to have a bigger door.

cant go higher that the 14' inside which limits me to 12' high door. Stupid ordinance says the house has to be the tallest building on the lot. I think I can do the lift. got the dimensions. 12' from outside to outside of posts. I probably could move it more into the center, but kinda wanted that open as well. thinking of an "office" with storage on top. with the cars on an angle, it still leaves shop space and still enough room to bring a 3rd vehicle on the hoist.

36x56 garageLift.png

Odie

Can you build two shops? One for the daily drivers and one for the workshop/fiats? I think you will run out of space quickly and also get annoyed at having to share, especially when you are working on something which requires still air, and suddenly the wife is home and up goes the door! ;)

Stupid ordinance says the house has to be the tallest building on the lot.
I'm not familiar with your local rules, but can you add a little to the top of the chimney or any similar inexpensive extension to the top of the house to make it "taller"? Therefore allowing the garage to also be taller.

I'm not familiar with your local rules, but can you add a little to the top of the chimney or any similar inexpensive extension to the top of the house to make it "taller"? Therefore allowing the garage to also be taller.
I like your thinking! 10 foot cupola!!

Odie

My brother is involved with designing buildings and apparently that sort of "cheating" is very common, and considered acceptable. Just do the extension first, then get the garage plans approved using the new house height.

I second the suggestion to create a second story / attic storage space, or mezzanine. That'll be the cheapest storage area you ever bought.
Consider using a clear ridge vent. Without something like that it'll be like being in a cave when the doors are closed.
Also I suggest sizing at least one garage door for possible future "big stuff" like a motor home. You may not have one, and may never plan to have one, but the next buyer might be attracted to your home because it'll accommodate a big motor home/boat. 14' should be big enough, 12' might not?.
Oh, and for the entrance door consider a 48" door. It never hurts to have a bigger door.
so seeing the garage thread, I thought i would bring everyone up to speed as well as a few options that has been thrown in.
I am replying to this because.... 2 story has been thrown in with a different builder. The second option will be a 56x36 with a 10ft lower level and a 56x18x8 for the upstairs.
approx prices:
48x36x14 with a 24x10 lean-to porch. 2 10x10 overhead and 1 16x12 overhead, 3 windows and one 36 entry door. with concrete. $46,600. i will do site prep and electricity.
56x36 with a 10ft lower level and a 56x18x8 for the upstairs. and a 56 leanto/porch. 6 windows 1 entry door. openings for 2 10x9 and 1 16x9 overhead door 38,400. NO concrete NO overhead doors no site prep, no electricity.

we are getting about 35k fomr the sale of the uncles house, and were originally planing on using 10k of our savings. we would probably have to figure about 7-10k to budget in with either small loan or wait for the cancrete for about 60 mo or so until we can save up the money.

the biggest advantage for the second story would be storage. I am in a house that has no basement. so little to no indoor storage. I could also move my music studio out there. (insulated small room with a heater to keep it above 50 degrees in winter) which would make my wife happy regaining that space in our house.

Thoughts? opinions?

Odie

Go big or go home Odie.... well... you are already home, so that only leaves "GO BIG!!!".

"There is no replacement for displacement." That is the old engine saying and I would argue it applies to garages as well. I doubt you would regret the larger building, given the described lack of storage in your home. If you can swing the price and live with the lack of concrete or additional loan, go big. Of course, I am not footing the bill or living with the results. :)

Go big or go home Odie.... well... you are already home, so that only leaves "GO BIG!!!".

"There is no replacement for displacement." That is the old engine saying and I would argue it applies to garages as well. I doubt you would regret the larger building, given the described lack of storage in your home. If you can swing the price and live with the lack of concrete or additional loan, go big. Of course, I am not footing the bill or living with the results. :)
it started as a 2 car garage... (that is what we converted to the inlaw suite) so Big is there for sure without being huge. We are really leaning towards the 2 story. other than the cost, the only thing about the 14 foot non 2 story is being able to put a lift in that will life a bigger vehicle. but really this is all about the fiats, so a shorter lift will work fine :) going without concrete is something I thought about, but it would be about 6 mo for me to come up with it so my friend recommended maybe a small loan.

Odie

If a little is good, then a lot is better.

The taller roof for the garage may have added benefits other than just a higher lift (which is a good thing in itself). One example might be to add a trolley gantry of some sort, so you can use a power hoist to pull/install engines, trans, bodys, whatever.

41188_I.jpg

Plus you can add a loft to a portion of the taller roof for more parts storage.

I'd want the concrete from the start. Around here, one would just get a home equity loan & use that to make up the difference. Also that used to be a tax deduction, along with the mortgage until recent tax code changes.

The layout with the lift looks a little awkward - with the cars pulled to the sides on a diagonal, could you actually work on them that way? Or is that just parking & the lift would be the work site? I find many jobs easier with the ability to get all around the car without lift posts in the way, so I would only use the lift for suspension/brakes/exhaust & do everything else on the ground - which in the above plan would preclude much in the way of benches/tool boxes along the sides it seems to me.

I'd want the concrete from the start. Around here, one would just get a home equity loan & use that to make up the difference. Also that used to be a tax deduction, along with the mortgage until recent tax code changes.

The layout with the lift looks a little awkward - with the cars pulled to the sides on a diagonal, could you actually work on them that way? Or is that just parking & the lift would be the work site? I find many jobs easier with the ability to get all around the car without lift posts in the way, so I would only use the lift for suspension/brakes/exhaust & do everything else on the ground - which in the above plan would preclude much in the way of benches/tool boxes along the sides it seems to me.
Popular vote is concrete right off the bat. Like you pointed out just getting a loan.
The drawing above was for the 14 foot single story. We are most likely going with the 10ft but a second floor. I have to still draw that out as the shop door wont be in the same spot because of the stairs. The odd angles actually worked when we mocked it up out side. What it would allow is for both fiats to be inside and the hoist still available if needed. Odd yes. But more room around the cars than if they were in a standard 2 car garage.

Love the input

Odie

when you order the roll-up doors have them roll all the way up to the ceiling instead of turning out right at the door height especially with where you are showing the car lift (I would think the car life should be more to the center so you can still get car's in/out when the lift has a car on it.

when you order the roll-up doors have them roll all the way up to the ceiling instead of turning out right at the door height especially with where you are showing the car lift (I would think the car life should be more to the center so you can still get car's in/out when the lift has a car on it.
great idea I am planning on a rollup style for the "shop side" and standard doors (the ones that go up then over) for the "garage" side. drew up a quick hit for the new one with 2 stories. had to move the hoist because of the stairs. the measurements show I should have no issues pulling the fiats around the hoist if there is a car on it, although a little awkward. I would move the hoist more forward, but I dont want to be working on a car too close to the daily drive part of the garage. the entire shop side will be thick enough to support the hoist so I dont have to decide now. I also had to shrink the door on the shop side to 12' instead of 16' because of the stairs. I also got a few small pics from the guy who is probably doing the work of a 32x46 2 story that wil be similar. mine will be bigger and main level 2 foot taller and
have 2 doors on one side and 1 on the other.
2story.png
93590771_634917840420996_8697342142000922624_n.jpg

93851434_597783414179543_6344312753762598912_n.jpg
93991016_179563929768138_7395249834724163584_n.jpg

Odie

mine will have a rollup door under where the stairs are in the pic as well as a side door. The second floor is going to have a door going out to a small deck with stairs outside as well. this one is not mine, it is one the contractor did, just to give an idea.

odie

Back