building a new garage

Congratulations on the building, definitely enjoying mine after many years of working in a small garage in the house or out in the driveway all year round!. Also agree with the cost estimates but closer to $60 per sq ft here in Maryland. Biggest surprises was the cost of the electrical work. I heated mine with a heat pump and will be putting in a loft next year. Shop on the left side and car storage on the right side. Mine is 40x30 with a 16" ceiling for the future loft.
Nice collection of Triumphs underway there :)

Nice collection of Triumphs underway there :)
Triumphs have been my go to sports car for many years, but I always had a love of the Italian sports cars and have fond memories of our X1/9 many years ago. I started a part time business for my cars called Cars of My Youth and it has allowed me to expand my collection. I now have several Triumphs (GT6, Spitfire and TR8), two 914's, two Scorpions and a Citroen SM in my collection of toys. The TR4A and GT6 on the dolly belong to a customer of mine that I am restoring right now. So perhaps I should have called my company Cars of Europe :cool:

Congratulations on the building, definitely enjoying mine after many years of working in a small garage in the house or out in the driveway all year round!. Also agree with the cost estimates but closer to $60 per sq ft here in Maryland. Biggest surprises was the cost of the electrical work. I heated mine with a heat pump and will be putting in a loft next year. Shop on the left side and car storage on the right side. Mine is 40x30 with a 16" ceiling for the future loft.

View attachment 63070
TR4 with a GM 215 V8!

I am always like spitfires. got to drive a rotary spitfire in the early 90s in an autocross. it was a beast that I really couldnt drive well LOL. but the stock ones I just love how low slung they are.

odie

Well if you drove a rotary Spitfire, you will really like this one. Turbo Mazda NB 1.8, with a 6 speed and Subaru R160 differential with CV axles using Rotoflex rear suspension. Kept it as a sleeper in the original brown paint all fits under the stock body, car was basically fully restored mechanically (using a stripped down Miata wiring harness), but keeping all the patina of a 1972 MK4 Spitfire survivor.
engine.jpg

I got a tour of this car and it's amazing, you would never guess it has evil under the hood by just looking at it.

Dave, you should get a Mazda 323 GTX turbo motor and transaxle and put it in the Scorpion.

Thanks Carl, that was my full intentions for the car, no one would ever suspect what it is packing, especially in a Spitfire. Car does not disappoint, quite scary on full boost, make sure you are pointed where you intend to go as there is no lag, just a rocket.

I am thinking that I will restore one of the Scorpions (blue one) back to more original, but will use the built 2.0 that is in the white car, which is much less original anyway. So for the white car, an engine swap is indeed a possibility. I would like to keep it Italian if possible, so my first thoughts are to find a Alfa 164 V6 and 5 speed transaxle.

Dave, you should get a Mazda 323 GTX turbo motor and transaxle and put it in the Scorpion.

I always wanted to do a Volkswagen VR6 conversion on my Scorpion. Those engines sound amazing with a proper exhaust, and if you really want to get esoteric about it, having a narrow-angle vee with a single cylinder head was a Lancia invention, so---there we go. :)

Back