building a new garage

Yup, in these part, unless you’re a bonded electrical / contracting pro, if anything went wrong because of wiring, good luck getting insurance to pay up...
If you saw some of the repairs I have done to work done by ‘bonded professionals’ your eyes would be opened.

There are some real hacks out there who get paid good money to do this which are nowhere near code...

Our primary furnace dumped out under a slider door 6” above and a swing door 18“ below (not anymore) and the electrical in this house and our past houses holy wah the things you find.

If you saw some of the repairs I have done to work done by ‘bonded professionals’ your eyes would be opened.

There are some real hacks out there who get paid good money to do this which are nowhere near code...

Our primary furnace dumped out under a slider door 6” above and a swing door 18“ below (not anymore) and the electrical in this house and our past houses holy wah the things you find.
You and I both. But insurance companies only care about one thing: not paying the claim if possible. By using bonded pro’s, you eliminate that option from their list.

You and I both. But insurance companies only care about one thing: not paying the claim if possible. By using bonded pro’s, you eliminate that option from their list.
I must put in here, I work for an insurance company LOL (DevOps engineer) and it paid for this . but totally agree. that unfortunately we get into circumstances that we have to draw a line between what was a hack job vs what was just an accident. oh the claim stories I could tell.

Odie

concrete guy said a week to 10 days before I drive on it. tomorrow is 10 days but it is supposed to rain all weekend and I really want to get theses guys inside. called him up and he said shouldnt be an issue especially how light they are. you can still see the floor is sweating where the concrete is deeper for the hoist. I tried to stay off if that as apparently sweating means it is still in the beginning of curing.

Odie
20210409_121938.jpg

concrete guy said a week to 10 days before I drive on it. tomorrow is 10 days but it is supposed to rain all weekend and I really want to get theses guys inside. called him up and he said shouldnt be an issue especially how light they are. you can still see the floor is sweating where the concrete is deeper for the hoist. I tried to stay off if that as apparently sweating means it is still in the beginning of curing.

OdieView attachment 45922
Wow, that’s a $1m piece of land in SoCal. Lol

Wow, that’s a $1m piece of land in SoCal. Lol
yeah. not so much here. when we bought it 9 years ago. it was $130k 4 bed 2 bath 3300 sqft on 2 acres just outside of michigan state university. we want to retire in the upper peninsula found 80 acres on lake superior for 120k with 3 bed 1 bath needs work house. we die when we watch the house buying shows. "we are looking for a starter home for under 750k.....

Odie

OdieView attachment 45922
Congrats on the building/concrete. I'm sure you're over the moon with this new asset. I would be. :)
About the concrete sweating, you are probably right about what you see now. But, unless you have a vapor barrier under the concrete it will sweat for many years.

Congrats on the building/concrete. I'm sure you're over the moon with this new asset. I would be. :)
About the concrete sweating, you are probably right about what you see now. But, unless you have a vapor barrier under the concrete it will sweat for many years.
vapor barrier was placed :) one of the few times an "upsell" was a good one. didnt even think of it at the beginning.

Odie

yeah. not so much here. when we bought it 9 years ago. it was $130k 4 bed 2 bath 3300 sqft on 2 acres just outside of michigan state university. we want to retire in the upper peninsula found 80 acres on lake superior for 120k with 3 bed 1 bath needs work house. we die when we watch the house buying shows. "we are looking for a starter home for under 750k.....

Odie
lol. I meant $1m JUST for the land the garage is on. It would be awesome to watch a storm over Gitche Gumee everyday...

Quick Update. Got most of the stuff moved from the shipping container and portable garages into try 1 of where they go. Hoist has been put on the back burner because of a few cost over runs and landscaping. Shop Air compressor comes in this month. Still working on heat/insulation before winter. Making great "work from home" office

20210604_080223.jpg

Odie

not much to update. the budget got pretty beat up with the subaru engine getting killed by my kid. much more space in there without the forester and the spider. I am hoping to get the other spider back here soon from my friends house. the lift and the air compressor got delayed from this. The main thing going on in there right now is the prep work for my wife's she shed. we bought a shipping container for a temporary garage while we did the inlaw suite and this garage. this is being turned into a sheshed for her. we just got the old windows (dont need it to be air tight) , a door and a small wood stove. the only thing that has been installed is I also did solar as it is about 300 ft from the house. I may start up a thread for fun on that build as well. the wife is excited to use a plasma cutter, I am excited I HAD to buy one for HER sheshed..
Karl, yeah but even more important, no mosquitoes. it is almost a cloud when pulling a car in and back out, but the dont seem to be staying in there.

Odie

not much to update. the budget got pretty beat up with the subaru engine getting killed by my kid. much more space in there without the forester and the spider. I am hoping to get the other spider back here soon from my friends house. the lift and the air compressor got delayed from this. The main thing going on in there right now is the prep work for my wife's she shed. we bought a shipping container for a temporary garage while we did the inlaw suite and this garage. this is being turned into a sheshed for her. we just got the old windows (dont need it to be air tight) , a door and a small wood stove. the only thing that has been installed is I also did solar as it is about 300 ft from the house. I may start up a thread for fun on that build as well. the wife is excited to use a plasma cutter, I am excited I HAD to buy one for HER sheshed..
Karl, yeah but even more important, no mosquitoes. it is almost a cloud when pulling a car in and back out, but the dont seem to be staying in there.

Odie
Yeah the mosquitoes have suddenly become brutal around here. Low winds and lots of water over the last few weeks makes for a cloud of blood suckers.

I am very envious of this project! I guess it pays to be in the Midwest! We are trying to get a much smaller garage built here in Los Angeles and so far the 2 bids we got were $145,000-$165,000!! My design doesn't even call for a 'finished' garage. No drywall, cabinets, etc... If we want it done at all, it looks like I might have to build it myself.....😩

I am very envious of this project! I guess it pays to be in the Midwest! We are trying to get a much smaller garage built here in Los Angeles and so far the 2 bids we got were $145,000-$165,000!! My design doesn't even call for a 'finished' garage. No drywall, cabinets, etc... If we want it done at all, it looks like I might have to build it myself.....😩
Yup, building estimates have gone crazy here since Covid lockdown has eased…

Ha!!😠
Latest L.A. estimate for my 800 sqft. Garage......$240,000!!!?? WTF?
$300 per sq. ft.? Seems right - after the Paradise Fire in 2019, our insurance company (Nationwide) doubled our insurance from $1k to $2k per year (for a house 600 miles away from Paradise, and no where near a fire zone), and raised the rebuilding estimate to reflect $400 per sq. ft.
So I guess your getting a bargain by Nationwide’s estimate.
We changed companies btw. lol.

Congratulations on the building, definitely enjoying mine after many years of working in a small garage in the house or out in the driveway all year round!. Also agree with the cost estimates but closer to $60 per sq ft here in Maryland. Biggest surprises was the cost of the electrical work. I heated mine with a heat pump and will be putting in a loft next year. Shop on the left side and car storage on the right side. Mine is 40x30 with a 16" ceiling for the future loft.

IMG_5360.jpg

Back