building a new garage

Sweet.
As a single person with no kids or other anchors, I dream of building a structure big enough to create my dream garage....with enough space/accommodations to actually live in it - no longer needing a actual "house". Maybe a cool old warehouse, barn, historical building, whatever, that has all modern insulation and services inside the original outer shell. Sort of a "restomod" of buildings.

The idea seems great - but I wouldn't want to live where I work, even if it's hobby-based. Teaching from home on a regular (irregular) schedule this past year has taught me that. I'd love a garage that size though, then I could have more vehicles. Unfortunately my property is far too small to even make (legal) additions to my existing garage :(

The idea seems great - but I wouldn't want to live where I work, even if it's hobby-based. Teaching from home on a regular (irregular) schedule this past year has taught me that. I'd love a garage that size though, then I could have more vehicles. Unfortunately my property is far too small to even make (legal) additions to my existing garage :(

Funny, that is what I am starting to see as my near but still distant future. It is called retirement.

I have a while until I get there but it something I can now see ahead and as a result start planning for. What could that be like? What do I want to do and where? An interesting change from my now.

This year is the first time since college 30 years ago when I have had the opportunity to work at home without it feeling like I was taking something away from my employer. It has been in many ways uplifting and freeing. It has also been very blurry as to when my life and work starts and ends. It has been getting increasingly blurry/overlapping due to the quality and capability of computers and cell phones, compared to when I started my career with a drawing table, triangles and French curves.

Anyway, the idea of a garage as home with hobby/work/life is becoming more appealing.

Odie appears to be well along towards making that leap.

you might also consider having just the bare min. done for the electrical, pass your inspection and then add what you want (do it safely of course) but no need for further inspections.

you might also look into plumbing air lines in the walls before you close them in.

Nice Garage
Funny, that is what I am starting to see as my near but still distant future. It is called retirement.

I have a while until I get there but it something I can now see ahead and as a result start planning for. What could that be like? What do I want to do and where? An interesting change from my now.

This year is the first time since college 30 years ago when I have had the opportunity to work at home without it feeling like I was taking something away from my employer. It has been in many ways uplifting and freeing. It has also been very blurry as to when my life and work starts and ends. It has been getting increasingly blurry/overlapping due to the quality and capability of computers and cell phones, compared to when I started my career with a drawing table, triangles and French curves.

Anyway, the idea of a garage as home with hobby/work/life is becoming more appealing.

I hear you, I'm at the same stage. I'm an Industrial electrician, Automation tech. In manufacturing it used to be all about being on site. My main tools are many computers now. I actually start officially working from home today lol (30 years of call ins didn't count). I get more done here due to less distractions and better internet.
"Here" btw is my garage. My office is where my x used to park. 26x28 Garage, workshop, neighborhood bar, dance floor and family room. I leave to sleep.... if I wake up😉

Odie Awesome Garage!! Here in Ontario you are now required to put in a charging outlet, the 100A fast charger kind. The biggest challenge in the electric world today is infrastructure. Every body builds a garage as an add on and not enough power. It adds up. My house is 100A and with 40A feed to garage. Its ok now, everything is Nat gas, but legislation is already in place banning new natural gas installs in BC. The plan is to upgrade the house to 200 and 100 to garage. The garage also houses a backup generator with auto-transfer.
I'm glad I built 20 years ago at about 35k, now would be 100.

Yeah - I have been thinking about that. I have about 3 years of teaching to go before I hit the retirement markers. My wife & I were loosely planning a move to Ithaca, NY - however, we had to move my Mum close by, and now with 2 mortgages, I'm not going anywhere until she shakes off the mortal coil. I'm certainly in no hurry for that to happen.

I definitely want to have a larger garage if possible, wherever we end up, I just want to live in a separate dwelling from my 'work'. My county has extremely high taxes, so staying locally on a retirement income would be tough.

Odie's setup is awesome!

My thoughts of a huge structure to encompass both "work" and "living" spaces were regarding retirement. So the "work" space is merely for hobby or fun stuff...which has always been automotive related. And I've never relied on the automotive stuff for income - my career has been in other fields.

I've never been one to anything I didn't want to do, and in my later years that certainly won't change. So having a "playshop" that I can directly access through a door from my living quarters seems like a nice idea. Because that's what I enjoy doing. To a lesser extent that's what I've always done with my traditional garages, and I've always wished the garage was much larger.

There's a program on TV that shows homes people have created in old or odd structures. A church, mill, firestation, warehouse, silo, factory, water tower, you name it. They have maintained the exterior to reflect its history, but built a well finished modern interior to live in - also reflecting aspects of the original space. That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Only for me the major portion of it would be a giant garage/shop. Being a single person with no dependants I don't require (or even want) a huge living area; I prefer simple and functional.

Getting close. Garage doors, concrete then electrical
Getting twitchy and ready to play!

Odie
Congrats on getting this up, I sure would be excited if I were you, looks great!
I know that there are limitations, but now is the time to consider how you'll heat the place. Are you planning to use radiant in floor heating? Gotta do it now before the concrete is poured. If so you'll want to put some foam down to insulate, especially around the perimeter. Also, no need to heat the entire slab, you can get good results just heating key parts.

Congrats on getting this up, I sure would be excited if I were you, looks great!
I know that there are limitations, but now is the time to consider how you'll heat the place. Are you planning to use radiant in floor heating? Gotta do it now before the concrete is poured. If so you'll want to put some foam down to insulate, especially around the perimeter. Also, no need to heat the entire slab, you can get good results just heating key parts.
been debating it. although I dont think the budget will allow it. Insulating the rest of the place took that $$. the plan at this time is the "torpedo" heater I have for the quick hit, and either a barrel wood heater or a pellet stove (there is a weird one with a Z shaped hopper that is getting good reviews) to maintain the heat. had a propane heater lined up as I would be able to maintain the costs at fil up, but apparently in my township if the house has Natural gas, they cant hook up anything bigger than a 40 lb tank.

Odie

My thoughts of a huge structure to encompass both "work" and "living" spaces were regarding retirement. So the "work" space is merely for hobby or fun stuff...which has always been automotive related. And I've never relied on the automotive stuff for income - my career has been in other fields.

I've never been one to anything I didn't want to do, and in my later years that certainly won't change. So having a "playshop" that I can directly access through a door from my living quarters seems like a nice idea. Because that's what I enjoy doing. To a lesser extent that's what I've always done with my traditional garages, and I've always wished the garage was much larger.

There's a program on TV that shows homes people have created in old or odd structures. A church, mill, firestation, warehouse, silo, factory, water tower, you name it. They have maintained the exterior to reflect its history, but built a well finished modern interior to live in - also reflecting aspects of the original space. That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Only for me the major portion of it would be a giant garage/shop. Being a single person with no dependants I don't require (or even want) a huge living area; I prefer simple and functional.
I saw some pictures on Instagram of some pretty nice Shed Bars. Small is also good. I've created my heaven in 26x28 and it's detached. Detached keeps the wife away in winter 😉 and saves on fire insurance.

been debating it. although I dont think the budget will allow it. Insulating the rest of the place took that $$. the plan at this time is the "torpedo" heater I have for the quick hit, and either a barrel wood heater or a pellet stove (there is a weird one with a Z shaped hopper that is getting good reviews) to maintain the heat. had a propane heater lined up as I would be able to maintain the costs at fil up, but apparently in my township if the house has Natural gas, they cant hook up anything bigger than a 40 lb tank.

Odie
Have you considered using natural gas? I'm using an old 60000 Btu mid efficiency forced air furnace, paid 200 for it. I'm a fitter here so licensed to install myself. I keep the garage at 15 while out and 21C while in. Hardly notice the difference in heating costs.
A buddy had the in floor installed in his garage, its pretty nice. With this type of install floor slope needs to be considered. Water has to go somewhere, so best to control the flow. His sloped to the door.

Odie
Running NG isn’t that bad and will be cheaper and easier to deal with. A brand new 100k btu 95% efficient can be had for under a grand from Goodman with exterior air sealed combustion so it would be easy to add and safe in the garage.

Running NG isn’t that bad and will be cheaper and easier to deal with. A brand new 100k btu 95% efficient can be had for under a grand from Goodman with exterior air sealed combustion so it would be easy to add and safe in the garage.
I am more worried about the cost of running the line. but I guess I can always ask.

Odie

I am more worried about the cost of running the line. but I guess I can always ask.

Odie
You can run it yourself with an inspection. The SS flex line is available at Menards. :) You could rent a backhoe for the day or a trencher, big boys with dirt moving toys!

Odie
I had to run a couple of hundred feet of gas line to a 400K BTU pool heater back in the 70s. If you are taping into the gas line before the regulator, you can get by with much smaller pipe. Where I lived, I was required to connect after the regulator and that required 4" diameter pipe to get enough flow at that pressure. I ended up using galvanized pipes to get down to 18" below the surface (code requirement for PVC), then transition fittings to PVC gas pipe. The fun part was digging the 2 foot deep trench through rocky soil and tree roots. I rented a Ditch Witch and it was not very effective - basically bouncing up in the air every time it hit something. After amusing my neighbor enough with the lack of progress, he brought over his bulldozer (he had a landscape architecture company) with a trencher attached to the back and it went through it like it was butter.

Getting close! Concrete day!!! 4 in everywhere except where the 2 post lift is going. That is 8 inches.

garage_live_1617191996600.jpg

Odie

Very nice. I am extremely envious.

My wife is foolish enough to trust me to do all manner of things. Electrical among them.

Yup, in these part, unless you’re a bonded electrical / contracting pro, if anything went wrong because of wiring, good luck getting insurance to pay up...

Back