Building fender flares

DanielForest

True Classic
Hi,
I got a pair of rear Faza style fender flares with the recesses for the bolts. I want a similar look in front. The front sold by Faza (and now by MWB) are the right shape but no recesses. I want a similar look than the Stradale car (but not a replica, I will not blend the flares with the front spoiler and round driving lights).

Rear with the bolts recesses:
1590521924195.png

picture from MWB website.

The front with no recess:
1590521986016.png

My plan is to find something similar (with bolt recess, not necessarly those in the next pic, but this is the idea) in front, but I probably have to cut the flares with a straight cut in the middle. (top to bottom, not from side to side).

1590522193890.png

My question is, should I do that and
1) do some fiberglass repair from the back before fitting the flares

or

2) if the flares are really too long (which will probably be the case) should I overlap the 2 halves, put some rivets in and do some bondo to smooth /blend the overlap?

Which one will look better? Which one will be the easiest (I never did fiberglass before).

Any opinions?

This will probably not happen this summer, but since we seems to have all some time to spend on this forum, why not ask!

Hi,
I got a pair of rear Faza style fender flares with the recesses for the bolts. I want a similar look in front. The front sold by Faza (and now by MWB) are the right shape but no recesses. I want a similar look than the Stradale car (but not a replica, I will not blend the flares with the front spoiler and round driving lights).

View attachment 32605

View attachment 32606

My plan is to find something similar (with bolt recess, not necessarly those in the next pic, but this is the idea) in front, but I probably have to cut the flares with a straight cut in the middle. (top to bottom, not from side to side).

View attachment 32607

or

2) if the flares are really too long (which will probably be the case) should I overlap the 2 halves, put some rivets in and do some bondo to smooth /blend the overlap?

Which one will look better? Which one will be the easiest (I never did fiberglass before).

Any opinions?

This will probably not happen this summer, but since we seems to have all some time to spend on this forum, why not ask!
IMO, the easiest would be to buy the fiat flares that are the closest and modify them to have the rivit/bolt notches. i would drill the holes the size that you want the recess, then use aluminum tube (could use plastic but some resins and plastics dont play well together) then fiberglass the tube onto the flare from the back. I might be able to mock something up if you are not following and are interested. the aluminum would be just for the round shape.

Odie

Odie

Thinking even more. you could use a wood dowel, coated with release wax to create the "hole/notch. then again, glass the back, then remove the dowel. this way you could keel the dowels at a consistent depth, glassing the bottom of the dowel. I with glassing under it, I would put 1-2 layers of glass, then a washer with the right diameter center hole for the rivit or bolt, then multiple layers over that. then when you are done drill it out. the back side of the glass has to mate with the current fender remember.

Odie

Thinking even more. you could use a wood dowel, coated with release wax to create the "hole/notch. then again, glass the back, then remove the dowel. this way you could keel the dowels at a consistent depth, glassing the bottom of the dowel. I with glassing under it, I would put 1-2 layers of glass, then a washer with the right diameter center hole for the rivit or bolt, then multiple layers over that. then when you are done drill it out. the back side of the glass has to mate with the current fender remember.

Odie
Interesting idea. I like it. I will weight the pros and the cons vs my original ideas. It will probably be easier than trying to link 2 halves.

I still have to convince myself that fiberglass works isn't rocket science.🚀

Interesting idea. I like it. I will weight the pros and the cons vs my original ideas. It will probably be easier than trying to link 2 halves.

I still have to convince myself that fiberglass works isn't rocket science.🚀
it isnt depending on how perfect you want it ;) pretty simple, I would say either way you want to do it, you will get a taste of it for sure. one MAJOR thing, ALWAYS wear a mask when sanding fiberglass. glass dust in your eyes and/or in your lungs is seriously bad. my cousin is at 45% lung capacity and almost blind in one eye from doing glass work in the 80's. and he wore a mask 70% of the time. not wearing it for little projects.

Odie

There are some smaller sized "universal" flares that might not need a lot of cutting/modifying to fit. But they will be simple flares, without any front lip or spoiler connection. And they may not give the look you are after. Then again, modifying ones the way you described might not look right either. I think Odie's approach makes more sense. You might even make the pockets just a cosmetic aspect and mount the flares from behind more traditionally. That way the pockets won't be stressed and their construction not as critical.

One option I consider is buying 2 pairs of rear ones to use in front. Hence the idea of cutting both flares to make 1 for the front. I will then remove the air intake box. It will match the style of the readr, I wouldn't have to build the pockets. It's just a little expensive but not that much considering the price of flares for some other cars. So that explain my idea of welding two halves together or overlapping and doing some bondo.

I already have a pair of rears, so I could place them to show what I mean. But it's too late tonight...

Hi,

View attachment 32605

View attachment 32606

View attachment 32607

or

Any opinions?

I remember very well those flares Daniel!!..they look very familiar!😃
And thats the reason why i got rid of them many many yrs ago, cause Al Cosentino himself couldnt get me a matching front set. I paid him for a matching Stradale set and he sent me a mismatched set. I complained and he sent me a matching rear set for the front ones he had already sent me and told me to keep the Stradale rear ones at no cost. And all this was done thru the phone as internet was still in its infancy back in 1996 i guess it was.
Then they were taking space, i needed money and sold them to Wiley and then they were passed to you.
If you plan on using the Bayless front pictured you are gonna have to cut the overlip/edge around them in order to match the Stradale rears and make them correct by adding the recessed mounting points and modifying the wider rear section on them in order to match the rear ones. An idea or option for the front aux light pods would be to buy a set of them from Guy Moerenhut in Belgium and fiberglass them to the flares or make them a 2 piece part for each side. Some fiberglass work involved but doable i guess. Good luck and hope you find a solution for it!!

There are some smaller sized "universal" flares that might not need a lot of cutting/modifying to fit. But they will be simple flares, without any front lip or spoiler connection. And they may not give the look you are after. Then again, modifying ones the way you described might not look right either. I think Odie's approach makes more sense. You might even make the pockets just a cosmetic aspect and mount the flares from behind more traditionally. That way the pockets won't be stressed and their construction not as critical.
very good point about the lip! merging that into the serpent airdam was not fun for sure.

Odie

As has been alluded to, your front arches don't have to be FAZA items. You can use any fronts that have the same general lines as the rears. My body came with blended in flares with the FAZA rears but I have no idea what the fronts are. They were meant for the stock front spoiler...at least as installed on mine.

Fiberglass is easier DIY than metal.

Greg, if the front flares are available from Australia, shipping will probably less expensive than buying 2 rear pairs to cut and mix to make a front one. Also, no fiberglass repair. Then I will have to add the light pod that came with the side lip and the front air dam is probably stock. I think the pods were available from Guy Moerenhout but also from Midwest Bayless (but they are out of stock).

1590586059301.png

I agree there will be some cutting and trimming to make everything fit together, but even just fitting the flares to the body may need minor trimming.

So is there a place selling the front flares in Australia?

The added benefit would be a better replica of the Stradale instead of just a nice set of flares...

Talk to MWB and see if they have what you need. But I suppose you have already done this.

I asked Matt if he had some broken or imperfect flares since I only need halves of each, but he didn't had any at the time. Not even the correct ones that were out of stock. But he has them now. No pods, but the rear flares.

I don't think using two sets of rears to make a front set will work that well. Mainly for the same reason that using any "universal" flares, or any intended for another vehicle will not work well. That's because the fenders on the car are a very complex 3D shape, with compound bends and curves in every plane and every direction. Getting anything to fit - even rear X1/9 flares - will be a major task. At that point you may be just as well off making custom ones from scratch. Which is what the ones from Australia were by another member here:
motion_pro_fuel_inject_clean_kit_hv2 - Copy.jpg

That's why it may be a better approach to start with a set that already fits the front fenders, then modify them to your taste.

Greg, if the front flares are available from Australia, shipping will probably less expensive than buying 2 rear pairs to cut and mix to make a front one. Also, no fiberglass repair. Then I will have to add the light pod that came with the side lip and the front air dam is probably stock. I think the pods were available from Guy Moerenhout but also from Midwest Bayless (but they are out of stock).

View attachment 32623
I agree there will be some cutting and trimming to make everything fit together, but even just fitting the flares to the body may need minor trimming.

So is there a place selling the front flares in Australia?

The added benefit would be a better replica of the Stradale instead of just a nice set of flares...

I ll be interested in a set of aux lightpods!!😃

You could always just make your own.... I used inexpensive cardboard underlayment for my flare mockups. The stuff they staple to the exterior of a home before final hardi-board or brick. Home Depot sells it by the 4x8 sheet cheap. Easy to cut, Taped it to the car and when I had it where I wanted them, I removed them and used them for templates on the sheet metal. I only had to do one side because I just flipped the cardboard over and made the opposite side!

I used 1/4" round stock for the flare edges after getting the sheet welded to the car... Easy peasy...

Coolest part is after I had a basic shape, I was able to mount a wheel and trim out the flare with regular scissors.

IMG_20161210_162725192.jpgIMG_20161210_162626520.jpgIMG_20161210_162513659_HDR.jpgIMG_20170125_180313243_HDR.jpgIMG_20161218_111840216.jpgIMG_20170107_141451370.jpgIMG_20180227_172114157.jpgIMG_20170830_093509900.jpg

I used 1/4" round stock for the flare edges after getting the sheet welded to the car.
IMG_20170125_180313243_HDR.jpg

That's the same technique I use to fabricate all of my custom bodywork. Although sometimes I'll weld the rod and sheet metal into the desired shape before welding it to the car as a unit. Depends on what I'm building.
I prefer working in metal over fiberglass.

I hope I will be better at shaping things, but this is a pic I made from microsoft Paint with one half of the left rear flare and one half of the right rear flare. This wa my idea for the front flares that will match the rears. I admire some of your suggestions, but I think they are out of my competence... 🤔
In that case, I will NOT try to merge the front flares with the front spoiler.

1590636195933.png

Stingray, that's like a NASA engineer saying it's easy to put a man in space!
My metal forming skills are.....lacking.

Back