Building fender flares

Now, back to the subject of the flares. I will try to incorporate recesses into a "flat" flare. (flat,, not Fiat!). Looking at the Faza rear flares, you could see the recess holes are not round. they are flat at the top. So making something that look like this will not be easy (for me). My first idea would be to use the rear fenders recess holes and to put some anti-stick product in the hole and to build a shape of the hole. Then, to use these shapes in the back of the front flare with a correctly cut hole (with a straight top and a round bottom). I never used fiberglass so maybe my solution won't work. I was thinking about putting some removeable sealant (like zip and seal?) at the edges where the flare and the shape are meeting to prevent the fiberglass applied at the back of the flare to get intto the front of the recess. The shape, will also be covered with anti-stick wax before applying a few coat of fiberglass, then I hope I would be able to remove the shape and get the hole I was looking for.

If you don't understand me, that's fine. I'm not sure I understand myself.

So I was trying to make a variant of Odie's suggestion but have the right shape of hole in the flare. Sorry for the poor pic.
recess holes Faza flare.png

Last edited:
Now, back to the subject of the flares. I will try to incorporate recesses into a "flat" flare. (flat,, not Fiat!). Looking at the Faza rear flares, you could see the recess holes are not round. they are flat at the top. So making something that look like this will not be easy (for me). My first idea would be to use the rear fenders recess holes and to put some anti-stick product in the hole and to build a shape of the hole. Then, to use these shapes in the back of the front flare with a correctly cut hole (with a straight top and a round bottom). I never used fiberglass so maybe my solution won't work. I was thinking about putting some removeable sealant (like zip and seal?) at the edges where the flare and the shape are meeting to prevent the fiberglass applied at the back of the flare to get intto the front of the recess. The shape, will also be covered with anti-stick wax before applying a few coat of fiberglass, then I hope I would be able to remove the shape and get the hole I was looking for.

So I was trying to make a variant of Odie's suggestion but have the right shape of hole in the flare. Sorry for the poor pic. View attachment 60595
Amazon has a bunch of choices for releases. Search fiberglass mold release. Good car wax works as well but I have had a few times it didn't work in spots

Odie

Last edited:
My daughter is the only family member that lives within 500 miles. Last weekend she bought her first "nice" car with her own money and her own financing. It was a 2019 Kia Sorento. She had a $2500 trade and had saved $5000 as a down payment. Why is this relevant?

For almost my entire life, since I was old enough to hold a wrench I have been maintaining the family automobiles. Now with my immediate family living far away I had only my daughter's car (other than my own). So her purchasing a late model vehicle, in like new condition, I am finally free of the additional chores. :)
I know this feeling, I maintain my two children’s cars. My middle child recently bought a ‘new’ car which goes to the dealer and has an extended warranty. Wahoo!!! Now to dispose of his no longer wanted Honda.

So I was trying to make a variant of Odie's suggestion but have the right shape of hole in the flare. Sorry for the poor pic. View attachment 60595
I hate working with fiberglass. But there's a lot that can be done with it.

I assume you are referring the the "bolt pockets" that are used to mount the flares? Just remember that those recesses are what hold the flare to the car, so they need to be strongly attached to the rest of the flare.

My main reason why i sold my Faza Stradale rear fenders flares that now u own. Cause they didnt matched the rear regular Faza flares Cosentino sent me back then in 1996. He then made the ones i needed to match and told me to keep the Stradale ones too. Also told me he wasnt selling more fiberglass parts, that my flares n snorkel were the last ones made......

I seem to recall back when MWB had a lot of fiberglass stuff available the front and rear fender flares did not match for this same reason. Although maybe later on they added the other style with the pockets to match?

Years ago, I remember I read somewhere Al didn't made the front ones with the pockets because they were too difficult to make. Maybe he just lost his fiberglass guy... :rolleyes:

It's may be Albert who told me that, I don't know...

Years ago, I remember I read somewhere Al didn't made the front ones with the pockets because they were too difficult to make. Maybe he just lost his fiberglass guy... :rolleyes:

It's may be Albert who told me that, I don't know...
If i remeber right he mentioned me that his "Disney" fiberglass to go guy was quitting or retiring from the fiberglass business. Back then he was still advertising both type of flares....

To reproduce the recess (pockets) from the rear Faza flares, I'm considering the use of plasticine instead of doing the shape in fiberglass. Then, once the plasticine is removed, finding an appropriate size of wood towel and cut it to the right angle to fit the recess. Then I would have the shape to do the recesses into the front fenders.

I may also become lazy and do as everybody else, use the flares as they were build. I may come back later and try to add the recesses, then the only drawback is I will have to cut the outside lip with the screw or rivets, but I will also need the fill the holes made in the fenders for these screws or rivets.

My next question will be, if I want to cut the outer (and maybe the inner) lips because they are too long in some places, what would you use? An angle grinder, a Dremel, a block with sandpaper?

Maybe the flares can be mounted the way they were intended to be. Then make "fake" pockets/recesses just for the 'look'. That way the pockets don't need to be structural because the flare is already held on with its original design.

Maybe the flares can be mounted the way they were intended to be. Then make "fake" pockets/recesses just for the 'look'. That way the pockets don't need to be structural because the flare is already held on with its original design.
Also, I may consider installing Dzus fasteners where the pockets should be. So, if I'm doing the pocket job later, then the holes will only need to be enlarge, but nothing else done to the flares. I may have to build washers from hollow wood stick behind the flare because they will be a space between the fiberglass flare and the original metal one. Or I may just fit the femal part of the Dzus fastener on the facing of the metal flare if the tickness is right to use directly with the Dzus fastener.

Back