Bumper Mod....Finally

Bob Kenny

Daily Driver
Hi All,
It's been a while.....haven't had much time to work on the car (or to keep up with the board too much), but I finally started my bumper mod. While I like the bumperless look and DEFINITELY prefer it to the '76 ladder bumpers, it always looked unfinished to me.

I love the 74 bumpers and in fact I have a complete set in my garage, but they are going back on my '74 when I get around to restoring that one. What I really wanted were bumpers reminiscent of the mid 60's to early 70's...a blade style (normally chrome). I searched eBay for 'chrome bumpers' hoping to find some universal type crap, I know, it was a long shot, but I did see bumpers from a 1968 Camaro that looked like they would work. Not wanting to spend 140 dollars on something that might not work, I took to Craigslist and found a '68 Camaro front bumper for $40. It was too long and the front angle was wrong, but the part that wraps around the side of the car was nearly perfect. After a little cutting and welding I had the bumper.

I found some 1 1/2" metal conduit that was the exact diameter of the original pistons and made up some brackets and tapped them to accept the bumpers.

After painting and mounting the bumper I wound up with this:

I then went back to Craigslist and found a 68 Camaro rear bumper and went to work.....again, too long but the wrap around was perfect. Cut, weld, make mounts, install, and this is where I'm at now...it still needs patching, bondo and paint, but I think it's gonna look great:

I feel this is how the car should have been presented in the first place (just my opinion). This was one of those rare moments when the finished product came out EXACTLY the way I pictured it. I'm really happy with it.

Thanks for listening and sorry for being so wordy.

Bob

Last edited:
That turned out great! nice job of the metal work and fitment. What needs to happen now is make some fiberglass molds so you can offer up some lightweight alternatives... ;)

Thanks....

.....I'm really pleased with the results. Fiberglass copies are definitely a possibility.

Looks nice. Great work and good eye for what would work by adapting the Camaro part. My friend Lavin made custom bumpers for his X and had them chromed, it was a very sharp look. I really like your version.

The front looks better than the rear. Perhaps too much gap in the rear and the length of the wrap around is a little awkward.

Maybe by filling the sidemarker on the rear quarters it would look more integrated. Right now the side marker highlights the misalignment and the crowding of the rear wheel arch.

Rear bumper

I agree that it looks a little crowded by the marker lights. I'm gonna try to source a bumper from a '69 Camaro, it's basically the same with a shorter wrap around. I'll post updates.

Well Done!

I really like the look, and the execution is phenomenal. Be sure to add a photo of the painted rear - I can't decide if I like the black or the chrome better! I've always felt that the chrome trim doesn't go with the aluminum bumpers, and I'm thinking your car would look great with blacked out trim and the painted bumpers. Again, great job!

First bumper mod I have seen that looks cool

I am no fan of the bumperless look. And the minimalist approach doesn't look Italian. But this is fabulous. Congratulations.

Bumper Mod

Wow - fantastic - one of the best I've seen. Fiberglass molds and you'd have a nice little "cottage industry"!

Ed

Bumper Mod.

Wow!
I love it! congratulations!

DSC_6097_zpsx3xwfyia.jpg

very nice, smooth with style!.

Regards.

NICE!

I have thought of the same idea but never figured out what bumper to start with, considered Opel GT front, but Camaro seems to be the right answer...VERY NICE JOB. Grant

Great!

Now I have to add another project to my list...:laugh:

I love the black on blue. Nice job!

HOLY CRAP!

Err... the bumper did nothing on your Opel! ouch.. sorry to see that.

BTW: AWESOME JOB ON THE BUMPERS!! That is creative, looks great, and totally looks like it belongs - especially the front.

I guess you could also do a split bumper in the rear, allowing more view of the Italian license plate dropped section - but otherwise, looks great as is!!

You win this week's prize of BEST MOD! :)

F.Y.I

There is a guy on this forum that sell Fiat and/or BWA center caps. They would make your car look really nice (finished). I bought a set and am very pleased.

camaro bumpers

I have an old pair off my 68 Camaro. where do you make the cuts, and how much? the front looks phenom, and may be a small amount of the rear side would help accentuating the side markers on the rear.
most excellent job.
not much of a welder, per se, but I think I could pull it off with a little tutelage.
mikemo
mikemo90*aol.com

HOLY CRAP!

Err... the bumper did nothing on your Opel! ouch.. sorry to see that.

Yep, at about 55mph that bumper is, well, as you can see, tin foil.
Car saved my life though, crumple zones and big 'ole hood hooks, collapsing steering well and I walked away, shakily perhaps.

Back