Bunch of newbie questions

But this is never never land, no one know how stuff will fit and what it takes to make it work.
It's only never until it's done. The only measurement that is a concern is the width, as don't know how much of the extra 9inches is to accommodate running gear. The Leaf does run 205 - 215 tyres depending on rim size, and the X1/9 165's, so there may be hope. Also, there are a few micro style EV's coming out, the BMW i3 is small, even more so the Mitsi iMiev / Peugeot iOn. I'm sure there are many on the way.

Why not keep it in the Family and look for a Fiat 500e? Comparable stats to the leaf, but the bolt pattern fits Fiat wheels.

Keeping it in the family is great idea, it's a Fiat after all!. Look at the pic below, the motor is small and driveshafts were equal length! All seem to fit X's engine compartment. A 500e weight 2980 lbs where as petro 500 weights between 2,366 to 2,512 lbs, so extra 500-600lbs for batteries? An EV X will weight say 2600lbs. 500e's 0-60 8.8 sec, so X with 500e's transplant could be a lower 8 sec car?

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/fiat-0-60-mph-times/

From Fiat's website:

The FIAT® 500e uses an 83-kWh electric-drive motor that delivers 111 horsepower and 147 pound-feet of torque. Curb weight: 2980lbs,

The FIAT® 500e powertrain is 100% electric and composed of three main components: an advanced high-voltage lithium-ion battery pack, a high-power electric-drive motor and a power inverter module to help manage power flow. Using electricity to fuel the vehicle, you need an inverter to get the job done. It works a bit like a fuel pump in a conventional gas-powered engine, but in this case the fuel is electricity stored in the battery pack of the FIAT 500e.

Unlike a traditional transmission, the single-speed gearbox transmission directs the output from the electric-drive motor and provides calibrated gear reduction. Lower electric motor input speeds, decreased battery usage and more efficient use of vehicle energy with increased torque output capacity are a few of the benefits this transmission provides.

2018-fiat-500e-vlp-performance-electric-motor.jpg.image.1440.jpg

2018-fiat-500e-vlp-performance-electric-powertrain.jpg.image.1440.jpg

so extra 500-600lbs for batteries?
Depending on the physical size of the batteries, now being electric, one would tempted to remove the petrol tank and put the spare up front, same as Ferrari's and MR2's, and mount the batteries in behind the seats. That way the 600lbs will be central with slight bias towards the rear to maintain that mid engine balance. sticking the batteries up front would make the X1/9 heavy in the nose and light in the rear.
Alternatively, with no exhaust required, the rear boot could be extended down and the batteries mounted there, but the balance would be off and probably handle like a 911.

500e to X may be more challenging than one thinks, the motor, 'tranny', and drive shafts might be the easier part, then the battery which the e got them flat under the floor, with cooling tubes snake around them, GREAT FOR WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION AND CENTER OF GRAVITY by the way, the inverter which also requires cooling, and the electric motor for AC.

500e handled better than petrol 500, not surprising considering the lowered center of G, better weight distribution, and equal length drive shafts. Never driven a 500e but I drove Tesla S a few times, and was surprised by the rigidity of T's chassis, OK it's a honey comb with batteries in them with metal sheets on top and bottom, normal car's single sheet of metal simply couldn't compete.
5003-battery.jpg
FIAT-500e-Structure.jpg
09-fiat-500-e.jpg

battery placement is going to be the challenge no matter what power plant is used.
Owning several X 1/9s over the years (currently two) as well as having a 500e as my daily driver, it just made sense to me to keep things in the family.
I think an X 1/9 with a well executed 500e drive train would be an amazing car.

I've autocrossed my 500e and while it was a hoot, it is not really competitive.

I run Toyo Proxes T1Rs in the summer and have a set of Blizzaks for the winter.
I ran the Toyo's on the track, had no issue with sticking, the Blizzaks stick on dry pavement better than I expected, but no where as good as the Toyos.

OK, here you go, BMW Z4 35is where you could probably get a good 2010-12 one for around $20K and BMW claims that it will punch to 62mph in 4.5 seconds. Many have drawn comparisons to the Ferrari California, folding hard top and everything, for a fraction of the cost and will be infinitely more reliable and, though still not a Ferrari, oh, and no back seats, but you'd probably only get a couple of pre-schoolers in those seats anyway.
(2011 BMW 35is $22K, 2011 California $110K)

BMWZ4.JPG

FCalifornia.JPG

Last edited:
OK, here you go, BMW Z4 35is where you could probably get a good 2010-12 one for around $20K and BMW claims that it will punch to 62mph in 4.5 seconds. Many have drawn comparisons to the Ferrari California, folding hard top and everything, for a fraction of the cost and will be infinitely more reliable and, though still not a Ferrari, oh, and no back seats, but you'd probably only get a couple of pre-schoolers in those seats anyway.
(2011 BMW 35is $22K, 2011 California $110K)

View attachment 16736
View attachment 16737

Good idea! I did test drove one of these 8 or 9 years ago, was good but somehow I couldn't quite see well enough. Kind of weird ... I am 5'8" with long torso. May be contaminated by years of driving SUVs. I shall check one out after tgiving. Interestingly, other than the Miata, Germans cornered that niche market? I logical choice is narrowing down to Boxseter, Z4, and SLK. Don't think we can get the turbo 4 banger Z4 here in the US, otherwise it would just be SLOW enough for me. Italian and Brits dominated the affordable sportscars back in the days, not anymore?

I logical choice is narrowing down to Boxseter, Z4, and SLK
Looks like head has finally overruled heart. There is nothing you could do to an X1/9 that would ever achieve the performance of either of those 3, which all come with the ABS breaking required for anything doing sub 8 secs, I should know, a car pulled out of a side road in front of me in the Boxster and 'pop-pop-pop' as the ABS rapidly brakes-release-brakes, I stopped on a dime. The X1/9 at the same speed would have been through the other side.
Then there's the handling, air-con, performance, and comfort of knowing you'll be driving well within the limits of the car, and modern technology and build quality will see a well maintained car last many 10,000 of miles.
The only problem is that these cars are too good and too fast, in that you don't really get that engine note until you're doing warp speed, and the handling is so slick you sort of miss that go-cart, raw feed back, but you're talking 0-60 in 11.5 seconds for an X1/9. I love my X1/9 for what it is, and ripping around on short excursions is heaps of fun, but for any long trips, where I want to know I'll get there in the end, and can have the air-con on the entire time without having to nervously watch the temperature gauge, it's the Boxster.
For me it'd be down to two, the Boxster as the better handling and historical relevance, being mid-engined and the model accredited with saving Porsche, or the BMW Z4, being faster and harking back to old classics of big engine up front, rear wheel drive. The SLK is a bit Beverly Hills housewife for me (ironic when the X1/9 was labeled a hairdressers car in its time, cute and pretty and not overly macho).
Yeah, the Brits haven't made an affordable open top for decades, closest would be Lotus, and Alfa have had their GTV/Spider variants, then the Brera & Spider variant, but the 4C is a bit pricey, but no more so than the Lotus. Fiats Arbarth unfortunately is still a Miata with Fiat badging and a tweaked engine.

Last edited:
Looks like head has finally overruled heart. There is nothing you could do to an X1/9 that would ever achieve the performance of either of those 3, which all come with the ABS breaking required for anything doing sub 8 secs, I should know, a car pulled out of a side road in front of me in the Boxster and 'pop-pop-pop' as the ABS rapidly brakes-release-brakes, I stopped on a dime. The X1/9 at the same speed would have been through the other side.
Then there's the handling, air-con, performance, and comfort of knowing you'll be driving well within the limits of the car, and modern technology and build quality will see a well maintained car last many 10,000 of miles.
The only problem is that these cars are too good and too fast, in that you don't really get that engine note until you're doing warp speed, and the handling is so slick you sort of miss that go-cart, raw feed back, but you're talking 0-60 in 11.5 seconds for an X1/9. I love my X1/9 for what it is, and ripping around on short excursions is heaps of fun, but for any long trips, where I want to know I'll get there in the end, and can have the air-con on the entire time without having to nervously watch the temperature gauge, it's the Boxster.
For me it'd be down to two, the Boxster as the better handling and historical relevance, being mid-engined and the model accredited with saving Porsche, or the BMW Z4, being faster and harking back to old classics of big engine up front, rear wheel drive. The SLK is a bit Beverly Hills housewife for me (ironic when the X1/9 was labeled a hairdressers car in its time, cute and pretty and not overly macho).
Yeah, the Brits haven't made an affordable open top for decades, closest would be Lotus, and Alfa have had their GTV/Spider variants, then the Brera & Spider variant, but the 4C is a bit pricey, but no more so than the Lotus. Fiats Arbarth unfortunately is still a Miata with Fiat badging and a tweaked engine.
Boxter, SLK and Z4 are all great cars, certainly logic candidates. Of the three:

I don't like the looks of first gen Boxster, the 2nd gen 987 looked great but kinda too "fast" for me?? Not sure.
2.7L, 176.5 kW (240 PS; 237 hp)
Manual 6.2 seconds 256 km/h (159 mph)
Tiptronic S 7.1 seconds 250 km/h (155 mph)
Z4 wise, I like the Fourth generation(E85/E86), is 1.8i available in the US? sounded like my type.
sDrive18i 2013–2016 (N20B20 2.0 L I4turbo 115 kW (154 bhp) @5,000 rpm 240 N⋅m (177 lb⋅ft) @ 1,250–4,400 rpm 0-60mph 8.1
I like SLK's form factor, small and short, slow too with the 200 or 230 kompressor. Not sure about the handling or if one needs to worry about the removable hardtop.
2.0 L I4 supercharged 141 kW (189 hp)
@ 5,300 rpm 270 N⋅m (199 lb⋅ft)
@ 2,500–4,800 rpm 7.7

M111.973
2.3 L I4 supercharged 142 kW (190 hp)
@ 5,300 rpm 280 N⋅m (207 lb⋅ft)
@ 2,500–4,800 rpm 7.4 s​

Last edited:
but kinda too "fast" for me?? Not sure.
Only as fast as you push it. The Boxster almost drives too sedately at low speed, but the key thing is you've got the chassis and overall driving dynamics that will handle well beyond what most drivers think is the limit.
Me, I went with the first gen Boxster for more the 'future' classic rationale, which is why the one I got was the last iteration of the 986 (2000) with all the original body panels but with the 2.7 vs 2.5 engine, and not the S because the S came after and the styling was slight different. My 986 is as close to the prototype/release car as possible, 5sp Manual, Silver with the brick red leather and white dials.
So maybe something like this? $19.5K for a 2007 Boxster, 49K Mls, 5spd Manual? Not being as S it'll be a bit more sedate, but still sub 7's being a manual.
Boxster.JPG

Last edited:
I almost traded in my SC430 for a 997 Cabriolet, but Mrs. likes her very soft "country club" convertible.

I almost traded in my SC430 for a 997 Cabriolet, but Mrs. likes her very soft "country club" convertible.
You should have told her what the Top Gear team (Clarkson & May) think of the SC430, could possible have got you the 997.
Mind you, IMO one of ugliest Sports Car ever build was the first Porsche Panamera, it looked like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down

Last edited:
You should have told her what the Top Gear team (Clarkson & May) think of the SC430, could possible have got you the 997.
Mind you, IMO one of ugliest Sports Car ever build was the first Porsche Panamera, it looked like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down
Clarkson was actually right about being a country club cruiser. We do live in a country club, SCs and SLs were the super popular car. People here are older, being smooth, quiet, and convertible ruled. On my street of 15 houses or so, where must be 6 or of those. Got to give it to Clarkson.

Back