Busso V6 into X19

Janis

True Classic
Am trying to find some more detailed info of modifications required to fit Busso V6 into X19.
Can't find anything more than "will it fit?", "it has been done several times", "strut towers has to be widened and wishbones also". That's all I can find and photos where it is already in, where main parts are outside of picture.

Does anyone know anything more, maybe have seen some detailed photos or even have done it?

Judging from the title "20k junker", I recognize it as one of your builds Rachael? Very nice indeed.
Couple of questions:
The fender flares were fabbed from steel and not a glass Dallara kit? I really like the large rear fender side scoops. Rear flares also look wider than normal Dallara style?
The front mounted fuel (petrol) tank looks like from a sedan, normally mounted under the rear seat. It fits the frunk well, what is it from?
I also like the custom center console being fabbed.
Thanks for sharing - very cool project.

Last edited:
When I see the details of some engine conversions, my impression is "well, that shows that engine DOESN'T fit". :)
Of course it can be made to fit, and that can be a cool challenge, but there is something to be said for elegance of fit.

Mazda KL G4 or KL ZE. Not that I am aware of but it would be extremely interesting to me. It’s a nice engine that sounds great through individual throttle bodies....

I would likely need to install from above. The 2.5l G4 comes with an integral crank position sensor so easy to convert to COP and Megasquirt, but it loses the forged crank. The smaller KF 2.0l in the Lantos generated 170 in the R version.

All of them are the same external dimension and approximate weight so it gets down to the character of the engine and the consumption you are willing to live with.

Yes, most of the photos are of my 3.2 V6 car, some are Nick Troth's own 3.0 car.

I got some huge O.Z. Mito wheels I bought from a chap who found they wouldn't fit his Integrale. To accommodate them, under the Dallara rear arches the original wings are splayed out about 60 mm at the back. The rear lights have an extra reversing light section added, to be tinted red to make fog lights. I originally intended Nick to fit the Dallara rear wings along with a modified Eurosport front end. As he couldn't get on with fibreglass I agreed to Nick doing the wings in steel, using the GRP mouldings as a buck, modifying the side air intakes to the Phantom jet intakes you see there. The fuel tank is from a Seicento, with the bottom half extended at one end to give a few more litres capacity.

Unfortunately it's difficult to get over to Nick's workshop and I can't work in the cramped conditions with my bad back so I have let this project stagnate.

I do agree that the work is a little agricultural, hopefully it can be refined and tidied once everything is located. It's worth the effort for that Busso V6 sound.

This engine uses COP ignition. I cobbled together a MegaSquirt 3 inside a Weber IAW case using six MOSFET injector drivers and six IGBT coil drivers to run the engine. I replaced the stepper motor throttle with an old school cable throttle from a 164 engine.

If i remember well, theres an old AutoItalia article on a conversion like these done yrs ago. They practically cutted the whole Alfa subframe with engine and transmission and fitted it into an X.

Rachael, thanks for the added info. With the V6 it will likely NEED those extra wide O.Z. wheels. I like the idea of pulling the stock fenders out, then adding the glass flares on top of that. But I can see Nick's position not wanting to do the glass work, I would tend to be the same and do it all in steel. And as I said, I really like those side intakes. I'm sure he will make them very functional in the process.

Your fuel tank idea got me thinking. One of my X's is planned to be a stripped-down "track day" toy. Nothing exotic, just making use of an otherwise rusty parts donor as a low cost project. With that, I intended to move the fuel tank to the front using a standard fuel cell. But for the track day events a cell isn't required. So using the standard tank from a sedan of some sort, where the tank sits flat under the rear seat/parcel area, is a great option. Very affordable compared to a cell and the shape will sit nicely laying flat in the bottom well of the front truck.

Agreed that the V6 swap is a big package stuffed into a small area. But then again, look under the hood of many modern vehicles. The engine bays are much more cramped that this. As long as you can make it fit and it is functional then the esthetics of how well it fits are not so important in my option. And frankly I find the esthetics of a V6 in a X to be very pleasing.

Back