Buying a 2017 Alfa Giulia

twincam69

True Classic
Well, I'm finally selling my daily driver 2010 Volvo C30 R design and buying an Alfa Giulia for a daily driver since I no longer have an 85 mile a day commute. It was really a tough decision as the Volvo has been (and still is) great but at 167,000+ miles I start to get nervous. It has also suffered from the slings and arrows of driving I-95 in South Florida so I'm cleaning up the paint before I sell.

The Giulia has already taken a big hit depreciation-wise and has only 15,000 miles. I still have a good amount of factory warranty left so I'll have some time to get familiar with it before I have to turn a wrench myself. The 8 speed auto with paddle shifters and 280 hp out of a 2 liter are pretty nice too. I haven't had an Italian daily driver since the 90s so this should be fun (I hope)!

Welcome to the Alfa club.

Upon my recent retirement from work, I traded in my former daily driver, a 2013 Fiat Abarth Cabrio, for a new Alfa Giulia Ti Sport AWD.

The Giulia is simply a wonderful car, but sadly the sale of the Abarth marks the end of my uninterrupted continuous ownership of at least one Fiat-badged car, dating back to my 1978 X which I bought new. I still poke my nose around this site from time to time since the buyer of my X is also member here.

I have less than 2000 miles on the Giulia, and there isn't anything yet about it that I don't really like. Significantly higher up on the food chain as compared to the Abarth, but to be fair that's an apples vs. oranges comparison.

Well, I still have the '75 X and a '71 124 Spider and coupe so I'll still be around here. This is actually my fifth Alfa but only my second sedan (I had a Milano for a while). Glad to hear you like the Giulia. I'm looking forward to driving it for more than a test drive!

Be certain to register here: https://www.giuliaforums.com/forums/

These cars seem to be susceptible to the strength of the battery, as there are occasional reports of odd electrical hiccups which are ultimately traceable back to a weak battery. So it is a good idea to use a Battery Tender whenever you can easily do so, just to ensure that the battery remains topped up.

On the above website you can do a search on my user name (the same one as used on this forum) so to learn more of these details, as you wish.

DM

Thanks Dave,

I'll register asap. Also, I've found that a lot of new cars have low battery issues. My sister has a 2013 Chevy Captiva which used to be sold as the Saturn Vue. There were a bunch of issues dealing with weak battery/insufficient grounds. I solved the hiccups on her car by adding a large ground strap from the engine to the chassis. My wife's Mercedes started throwing weird error codes when her battery was low as well, even though it started fine and a new battery solved the problems.

Wow you guys have taken the plunge! Just as I have been considering it. I like my Abarth Cabrio but lately I have been craving a bit more comfort and luxury. The roads on my commute though pretty short in distance are horrible, the stiff suspension, and low profile tires seem to hit every pot hole. I have seen some decent prices on the Giulia and most reviews have been positive. Keep us posted on how your ownership goes. I too owned a Milano which I loved. So a Giulia might be a good way to recapture the thrill.

Back