California X1/9 owners may be interested to know

Not trying to hijack but related: Anyone know where that new smog exemption that was supposed to be reintroduced into committee is at the moment?

It was put on hold until they could gather more data (whatever that means). Basically it's been tabled. Pretty much like many prior attempts at modifying the smog laws.

Hmm, being that I live in Cali and I will have a loud X once on the road I have skin in this game.

Doesn't one have to "fix" a fix it ticket while a real ticket one just pays? From my early days of not running front license plates this was the case (nowadays the popo no longer cares if you have a front plate or not here).

Because in my '74 case fixing the loud exhaust could only be accomplished by installing a stock exhaust. I'd rather just pay the man and throw her into neutral when ever I pass a cop then buy the stock exhaust and swap it in to get the fix it written off. Then replace and repeat.

By the way my VTEC '61 Mini was ungodly loud and I never had a problem. From my experience the popo doesn't want to get near a classic car!

Generally speaking, the popo don't actually care. Loud exhaust has to be pretty freak'n loud for a cop to stop you for just a fix-it. The "fix-it" is usually just a tool... probable cause for a stop, or a substitute for a mover when you get pulled over. Unless the cop is working a BAR detail or something. Normally, If you are cool, he/she might ditch a moving violation and just write some chickenshit "fix-it". Cop gets a stub stat, you don't get a point, everyone is usually ok with it. On the other hand, I have seen someone get the crap written out themselves by being a dick during a stop...the mover, and a whole crap-ton of CS fix-it's. Rare. But usually starts with "You mind telling me why you stopped me!" before the cop can even say "good afternoon". I say all this knowing full well that cops rarely stop straight pipe Harley's. Kinda sucks if you ask me.

Doesn't one have to "fix" a fix it ticket while a real ticket one just pays?
There's more to a real ticket than just paying the fine. Your driving record will reflect the ticket and your insurance rates will be the real price to pay. Plus a fix-it ticket can be written off by any official representative or officer at any time so it isn't a big deal. If you got pulled over once for being too loud then chances are your car is REALLY loud and will get pulled over again for it, unless you actually change the exhaust (i.e. "fix it"). Also I agree with 'tigeravg' that things like loud exhausts are typically just an excuse for probable cause, looking for more to bust you on (drugs, warrants, DUI, etc). So if your exhaust is that loud then it is in your best interest to reduce the sound levels to avoid such harassment. It's part of living in any society with other humans, you have to play the game or pay the price - one way or another.

I say all this knowing full well that cops rarely stop straight pipe Harley's. Kinda sucks if you ask me.

Are motorcycles exempt from noise restrictions? Almost every Harley I come across is louder than the loudest straight piped car I've heard on the street.

Back