Camber plates

DanielForest

True Classic
Hi,

I recently did a private conversation with Ben Louis about coil-overs and camber plates. I offered him pic and specs of my Carrera camber plates. I tought some other may like some détails, in case you would like to reproduce them. I don't think Carrera is still in business. Unlike G-Force camber plates Steve Hoelscher and I recently advertised in the FSW forum, fitting of these camber plates required the removal of the bump (on the mid 1979 and up) over the shocks aprons. Earlier cars were only having a small lip.

Size of the bearing is to fit Carrera struts. In case of smaller diameter shaft, a bearing with a smaller center could be use. There is a lip of black silicone around the large plate to seal it.

In the front suspension, take care to avoir a too long stud in the inner position. I now have a nice bump on each side of my frunk hood because of that.

In the picture, you will notice there are actually no shock. I'm in the middle of their rebuild.
20180419_212842.jpg

20180419_213041.jpg

20180419_213115.jpg

20180419_213124.jpg

Every time seeing camber plates installed on top of the strut tower with studs sticking out it makes me nervous about all the stuff that can and will go wrong. The strut towers are designed to be loaded from the bottom side (and across a large an area possible on the bottom side), not loaded by three threaded fasteners which concentrate the impact loading into a small area. In short time the sheet metal will develop cracks, then the cracks grow, then the sheet metal fails, then the exxe is blamed for being poorly designed and fragile.

While it may be easier to install camber plates on top, Murphy will happen under the most stressed conditions which is never good.

Bernice

Every time seeing camber plates installed on top of the strut tower with studs sticking out it makes me nervous about all the stuff that can and will go wrong. The strut towers are designed to be loaded from the bottom side (and across a large an area possible on the bottom side), not loaded by three threaded fasteners which concentrate the impact loading into a small area. In short time the sheet metal will develop cracks, then the cracks grow, then the sheet metal fails, then the exxe is blamed for being poorly designed and fragile.

While it may be easier to install camber plates on top, Murphy will happen under the most stressed conditions which is never good.

Bernice

Bernice, I agree in theory. But it seems all camber plates are made that way. At least, I haven't found any other design yet. I guess, "short time" is also relative. Those camber plates are on my car since 1992. I have to admit the car was in storage for 18 years, but I did some cross country trips and lot of slalom events. And I recently look under the fender and the sheet metal is still perfect. The reason I looked was for the same reason you suggested (but before your post). I was wondering if I shouldn't bolt a plate underneath. MaybeI I should, just to be safe.

I also drove my other X1/9 with G Force camber plates (which is sharing the same "weakness") for 8 years with a very stiff suspension, including numerous slalom events, with absolutely no damages.

On the other hand, I will never blame our cars to be poorly designed an fragile.

You didnt congegate avoir buddy. I believe its Si vous avez plus long de (ok I dont know the french word for bolt)

Im messing with you of course. Thanks for going into detail about this.

Back