can a bad cv joint give a shake in the steering wheel at specific speeds? say 90km/hr

John Barbieri

True Classic
I just noticed that my driver side axle has a slight wobble. The shaft part, I can see it go up and down as it spins when I jack the car up and turn the wheel by hand. I do remember the shaft end connected to the wheel hub end, I remember the bearing being a bit stiff and didn't have the mobility that the rest of my cv bearings did when I installed it. Jsut today I noticed a leak coming from the stub shaft seal on the tranny on the driver's side, new seals too... Could this be the cause of the shaking and vibrations I have been experiencing at highway speeds?

The shaft should be spinning on it's axis when turned with no visible "up and down" movement, that's the whole point of a constant velocity joint. If yours does this, it could certainly cause vibration. Could be a bad joint, or it could have been assembled or installed incorrectly. Either way it sounds like you've found a problem. Is it THE problem? Hard to say until you fix it.

R & R The CV Shaft

yeah, a slight wobble in the shaft it self but on the the transmission side, on the wheel side

Inboard CV joint is about to go. You keep going, it could trash your Differential or the whole transaxle.

If you've never totally lost one, or an old school Drive Shaft, you have no Idea what havoc these parts can cause, flailing around, aimlessly, even as you coast to a stop.

AND. . . Do the Output Shaft (CV's) Seals at the same time.
You have no idea how many times I've seen somebody go through all the trouble to R&R The Shafts, but don't R&R Any old seals while in the process.
OK! They might have worked fine before, but that was before you just abused the hell out of them, rebuilding everything else and left the cheapest item in the Redo, undone.

Check! Re-Check & Double Check AGAIN, EVERYTHING associated with the Rear Suspension. Take your time and fix EVERYTHING the first time, while it's already taken apart.

There ain't no short cuts for redos.

Just to piggyback on RedBull's post a bit, don't forget that the allen head capcrews used to hold the axles together need to be of the high strength variety. IIRC the metric strength grade for these is 12.9 which again IIRC is more or less equivalent to SAE Grade 8.

AND, they need to be new, don't re-use the old ones.

Bernice gave me advice a while back that upon reassembly you should make sure that the new capscrews are fastidiously clean of any oily manufacturing residue, and the threaded holes in the flanges need to be fastidiously clean of any CV grease, oil, road dirt, etc so that the hi-strength RED Loctite that you MUST use will actually work. Torque spec is in the manual.

Inboard CV joint is about to go. You keep going, it could trash your Differential or the whole transaxle.

If you've never totally lost one, or an old school Drive Shaft, you have no Idea what havoc these parts can cause, flailing around, aimlessly, even as you coast to a stop.

AND. . . Do the Output Shaft (CV's) Seals at the same time.
You have no idea how many times I've seen somebody go through all the trouble to R&R The Shafts, but don't R&R Any old seals while in the process.
OK! They might have worked fine before, but that was before you just abused the hell out of them, rebuilding everything else and left the cheapest item in the Redo, undone.

Check! Re-Check & Double Check AGAIN, EVERYTHING associated with the Rear Suspension. Take your time and fix EVERYTHING the first time, while it's already taken apart.

There ain't no short cuts for redos.

sorry, I meant to say that the up and down action (wobble) is on the wheel side cv joint.

can anyone confirm if this would cause a shake in the steering wheel? just trying to narrow it down

Don't know but didn't you confirm the tire was bad?

just had another shop check the tire and they say the tire is ok and also that the cv shaft shouldn't cause the steering to shake since its in the back of the car, even it was the tire, tires-easy told me yesterday that they won't replace the tire but rather give me a prorated refund based on treadwear meaning that if its one tire I might as well send them all back... man, this is frustrating...

turns out it was my tires, put on a new set of tires on the same rims and no shakes or vibrations to be found... I guess its not my cv shaft.. I wonder if my tranny leak at the axle seal is due to the shaking and vibrations from those POS Federals...

Back