Can anyone ID this shock absorber?

myredracer

True Classic
This shock has no manufacturer name on it and only has some numbers stamped on it. It's adjustable and isn't gas filled. Note the welds on top of the upper tube. This fits a Fiat 850. Could possibly be from as far back as the 1970s, I just don't know. My first thought was Spax.

Ideas?

Attachments

• DSCF0097.JPG
    DSCF0097.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCF0100.JPG
    DSCF0100.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 232
My '67 850 H production SCCA car I'm restoring hcame with a set of period Koni's and they DON"T have the easy external adjustment so I can tell you what they're not.

My '67 850 H production SCCA car I'm restoring hcame with a set of period Koni's and they DON"T have the easy external adjustment so I can tell you what they're not.
You are correct. I have a set of new 600 and 850 Koni shocks and they are clearly different, in particular, the upper tube on the Konis is welded 360 degrees around the top piece.

My vote is for Spax. I had the same adjuster system on my Spax shocks on my old Marcos.
The adjustment screw definitely looks similar and in the same location. Do the adjustment knobs come off the later Spax shocks or does it stay on permanently? I didn't want to play with the screw in case I mess it up because it needs a knob. Maybe I can contact Spax and see what they say.

I think the newer Spax have a knob attached. Mine were original 1970 vintage and just had the screw adjustment. There is a specific adjustment method but I can't remember what it was.

I agree with them appearing to be Spax. Like others have said, I also had a set for another car many years ago with that same adjuster (no knob). Spax were a bit hit and miss; so long as the main shaft seal didn't leak they were nice units for the money. But the seals were prone to leaking, sometimes even before they went into service. I don't recall if they were rebuildable or not.

This shock has no manufacturer name on it and only has some numbers stamped on it. It's adjustable and isn't gas filled. Note the welds on top of the upper tube. This fits a Fiat 850. Could possibly be from as far back as the 1970s, I just don't know. My first thought was Spax. Ideas?

I have Spax adjustable gas shocks on one of my 850's, they look just like yours but have a black plastic top half (cover) instead of metal. Mine are probably of later-model manufacture with Spax going into cost-cutting mode - a plastic cover being cheaper than metal (a few other brands did the same thing). Same yellow body with screwdriver-adjustable fitting near the base (barely visible in photo below).

What is the stamped number on the shock?

c6.JPG

Thanks Jeff,

There's 2 sets of numbers & letters on each. The 2nd string of numbers & letters is hard to read clearly.
1st pair is 403 and AN348 on one and on the other is 403 and what looks like it might be AI318.

2nd pair is 402 and AI137 on one and on the other is 402 and AI129.

Maybe the 2nd string of numbers & letters are serial numbers?

There's 2 sets of numbers & letters on each. The 2nd string of numbers & letters is hard to read clearly.

1st pair is 403 and AN348 on one and on the other is 403 and what looks like it might be AI318.
2nd pair is 402 and AI137 on one and on the other is 402 and AI129.

Maybe the 2nd string of numbers & letters are serial numbers?

I'll compare these numbers with those on my shocks later today when I'm over at my shop. ;)

403 & 402 might be the shock model numbers (or front/rear), the other numbers may be serials as you've stated.

I'll compare these numbers with those on my shocks later today when I'm over at my shop...403 & 402 might be the shock model numbers (or front/rear), the other numbers may be serials as you've stated.

Ok, I finally remembered to check on these while at my shop. Just to the right of the adjustment screw fitting the stamped numbers are 403 DT & 402 DU. The 402's are front shocks, the 403's are rear, both for Fiat 850's. Note that these are gas shocks, not regular oil-filled (hydraulic) shocks.

You can just mount them on the blue Coupe to make disposal easier for you, haha. ;)

QUOTE="Jeff Stich, post: 311212, member: 1184"]Ok, I finally remembered to check on these while at my shop. Just to the right of the adjustment screw fitting the stamped numbers are 403 DT & 402 DU. The 402's are front shocks, the 403's are rear, both for Fiat 850's. Note that these are gas shocks, not regular oil-filled (hydraulic) shocks.

You can just mount them on the blue Coupe to make disposal easier for you, haha. ;)[/QUOTE]Excellent info. Thank you! According to the Spax site there shocks are combination oil-filled and gas-filled?

Sorry, but local pickup only on these! :D

Back