Can I invite a handful of New 500 owners to join and contribute in the wiki?

Jonohhh

True Classic
So the title is pretty self-explanatory, but there is a severe lack of information all gathered in one place for the new Fiat 500. While these cars are new enough that it's not a huge problem, it does create some annoyances during DIY work, and part replacement and sourcing. For example, most manufacturer part numbers are not known, so many people end up buying genuine parts through Mopar at absolutely absurd prices.

Seeing the very populated wiki for these cars has made me realize how useful it would be for the 500 community. The forum some of my friends run, Broken Fiat Club, had a wiki at one point, but not enough people contributed and it ultimately was removed as it was empty. I see that there is a new 500 section in the current xWeb wiki, which I plan to contribute to.

TL;DR

I have a few people willing to contribute and add their information to hopefully start to build up some sort of repository for the New 500. I don't think it'll be large enough to warrant it being its own, I think just a section in ours is fine, but before I invite a lot of people that don't even own x19s to make a Wiki account, I just wanted to feel out/ask if this is allowed or frowned upon. I imagine some of them will trickle onto the forums too, but the majority of it should just be on the wiki.

Cheers, Jon

@Jonohhh - I have no issue with adding 500 info. We already have some other non-X content in the wiki :) In the past, i've only added Wiki accts for those who have already registered on XWeb but that doesn't need to be a hard rule if these are folks that you are familiar with. We may need to be thoughtful about Wiki page naming to avoid confusion with X content, but than can be fixed up if needed.

Thanks!
-Mark

@Jonohhh - I have no issue with adding 500 info. We already have some other non-X content in the wiki :) In the past, i've only added Wiki accts for those who have already registered on XWeb but that doesn't need to be a hard rule if these are folks that you are familiar with. We may need to be thoughtful about Wiki page naming to avoid confusion with X content, but than can be fixed up if needed.

Thanks!
-Mark

Hey Mark,

Fantastic, I appreciate the response! I've been slowly pecking away, I've passed the info along to those who were wanting to contribute. It may take a while for them to begin, but I told them to specify that I sent them to make the process of accepting someone without an xWeb account a bit more straightforward for ya!

Cheers, Jon

Great idea - as the New 500's age, there does need to be a resourceful database.

And we have had a section for 500s for a long while now.

Happy to have more folks around. Perhaps they can eventually help with getting Abarth engines into X’s :)

Great idea - as the New 500's age, there does need to be a resourceful database.
Very much so. They're getting to the age where there's problems that people have absolutely no clue how to go about solving, despite the information being available- it's just hard to find. Even my engine swap was full of educational moments, and surprises that I could not find info on online.

My working on the wiki is taking a break as I'm back into the school semester but I hope for it to be a great resource one day.

And we have had a section for 500s for a long while now.

Happy to have more folks around. Perhaps they can eventually help with getting Abarth engines into X’s :)

As much as I wanna keep the X all original and keep that high revving lampredi engine...I do have a second 1.4t sitting here now...

Once the ease of the MA > Tjet swap is more common knowledge, it'd be interesting to see who would rather deal with a bit of extra engine work and run a standalone, and who would rather deal with the stock car electronics. There's not necessarily a right answer.

As much as I wanna keep the X all original and keep that high revving lampredi engine...I do have a second 1.4t sitting here now...

Once the ease of the MA > Tjet swap is more common knowledge, it'd be interesting to see who would rather deal with a bit of extra engine work and run a standalone, and who would rather deal with the stock car electronics. There's not necessarily a right answer.

There is a right answer.

If you can keep it Italian, going to the TJet vs MultiAir is easily the right answer. A standalone engine management system is not a problem. There is no magic in the electronic gubbins of a modern engine management system in a 40 year old car in my mind.

The only negative is the one we all bemoan which is the long stroke nature of it.

Personally I am a lover of normally aspirated engines despite them not making the outright max hp, the NA version isn’t much of a performer sadly.

There is a right answer.

If you can keep it Italian, going to the TJet vs MultiAir is easily the right answer. A standalone engine management system is not a problem. There is no magic in the electronic gubbins of a modern engine management system in a 40 year old car in my mind.

The only negative is the one we all bemoan which is the long stroke nature of it.

Personally I am a lover of normally aspirated engines despite them not making the outright max hp, the NA version isn’t much of a performer sadly.

And also- just to add:

I absolutely do not expect people to go through the hassle and risk of sourcing a european Tjet unit to convert our MA engine over, just because some forum member (me) said it would work, despite not actually having done it himself. I think I'm a bit too repetitive about the ability to do this, for sure, but it seems to be a foreign enough concept that I keep seeing it restated that it is a completely different engine, not capable of conversion. It'll take time, but once the first person does it, the ice will be broken and it'll be the no brainer option.

As much as I love the 1.4t for the absolutely intoxicating sounds it makes, and the wall of torque, I agree: few things come close to a short stroke NA motor ferociously (well...ignore how much power its actually making) screaming to 8000rpm. Sure, less area under the curve, but in a modern world of undersized turbo four bangers with the same dreadful high end, NA is such bliss.

Back