Can vent windows be replaced without removing main window?

carl

True Classic
Sorry, I'm at the beach and don't have access to my manuals but I do have access to you clowns.
Thinking of installing the later pass through rear view mirror on my car in place of the Vitaloni thing held to the door with sheet metal screws.

Thinking of some other minor stuff like this as a sit at the shore and look ab bikin….I mean surfers.

I can only speak for the late electric window version setup - no way the vent glass & channel assy is coming out the door without stripping all the trim and the regulator & glass.

I took one look inside the parts car door, with it's cable operated pulley system mess - it gave me the willies just looking at it, nevermind trying to remove or adjust one.....

EDIT - they are also bonded & riveted in place, not sure how you would swap just the glass without making a serious mess

Dallara-Paint00168.jpg

Unfortunately I do not recall for sure, but when I removed them from my '79 (with 'crank' windows) I believe I only had to remove the chrome trim along the top of the door. The side windows stayed in place. I think that upper chrome / window 'wiper' had to come out to access one if the screws (or rivet, whichever it was).

I can say that once the vent assembly is removed from the car, the glass can be taken out without too much problem. For the most part it is just pressed into the channel/rubber trim. Some silicone spray and wiggle it out.

EDIT: Just looked at Jim's linky dinky do (did I get that right Jim?). Exactly how I remember it now. So no, the side windows do not have to come out.

I did not mean to change the window glass from the frame, I meant the whole vent window assembly to be swapped...I have spares.

I did not mean to change the window glass from the frame, I meant the whole vent window assembly to be swapped...I have spares.
The instructions I linked to are for replacing the entire assembly.

If I could keep the car in the garage all the time I would make a set of "gutted" doors that had no windows or mechanisms in them...but reality always gets in the way.

Back