carpet replacement

EJP

Daily Driver
Does anyone know of a source for brown X-19 carpet? My '79 has ribbed medium brown that is sun faded along the doors and around the center hump. Tried to liquid dye it. Not good results.
Have not tried aerosol carpet dye. Have heard it's like applying paint? Carpet gets stiff. I appreciate any leads.
Ed

OEM carpet will be hard to find. You can get replacement carpet from Midwest-Bayless in Columbus, OH. I checked Vick's, but didn't see any X1/9 carpeting. FiatPlus out in CA has a molded carpet that looks pretty nice.

I sprayed a set of 85 door cards that have a center fabric section. It did indeed become very stiff and fairly abrasive. Here is the before and after. I only did the door cards, the new black seat upholstery came from Vick's.
85_new_driver_seat2.jpg IMG_1829.JPG
So the fabric was light grey and I sprayed it black with Rustoleum fabric paint. It looks fine, but is really rough when touched. I have thought about trying to soften it up, but decided to use real liquid dye on a set of leather door cards instead.

Last edited:
Ed, is it the brownish/reddish/rusty/cinnamon color or a true brown? My '79 has the brown interior but the carpet isn't really brown. Just curious if yours is the same, thanks.

mrfiat.com has brown carpet but it's velour, not the original ribbed style. You might be able to match the color at least.

Many thanks for the replies. Dr Jeff, the carpet in my car is brown/reddish/rusty sort of color. I did find a replacement carpet in "brown" from Midwest-Bayliss, but its a conventional loop type carpet and not the ribbed type. It's not a molded carpet like factory, but the sample color they emailed to me looks a lot like the red/brown that is in the car. I will most likely go for it since the color looks pretty good.

Back