Cars that make you drool - ones to buy on a small Lotto win ....

Pottsy
We all love the Fiat X1/9 and its many variations, but I guess we all, as lovers of cars generally, have in mind a set of wheels that would offer a level of bliss that would make life perfect. Even His Exxylency the Right Honourable Tony Natoli of this parish has his Stingray. This string is outside our love for our high day - holiday workaday Fiats. This is dream time folks.

I'll start the ball rolling with my own favourite car - the BMW 840 4.4V8 Coupe. A car which, to me, embodies good looks, refined manners, power (circa 300bhp). All the components of desirability.

The car shown (please post your choices - one only please) is a 1997 BMW 840 Ci Sport 4.4litre V8 in Dakar Yellow with Schnitzer modifications like the body kit and wheels. Yellow is a second choice for me as I have seen BMW colour that mimics candy apple blue. With a cream interior, that would be my motoring wife.

BMW840CSi.jpg

bmw8402.jpg

Last edited:
Nice car ....

Did you catch the program in which it featured?

Note to all .... if you can upload some pics it would be great.:grin:

Doug my buddy in exxdom

A silky 12 cylinder would never appeal to an unreconstructed yankophile! :D

So what's your puddle-in-the-pants car Doug?

Thanks Doug ....

If your exxy gives you all you desire in any car, at any price, that's fine by me!

Oh the list that could never end.
In addition to restoring the toys I already have to a high standard and upgrades :)
An Abarth 1000 Spider
An Abarth Radiale Coupe
From Alfa, a 2000 GTV (as in cc's) though any from that body style would be just fine.
Audi, a first generation TT, an early Quattro Coupe
From the BMW camp I could really enjoy a 635CSi, a 318is and my absolute favorite an M1 (one is for sale near here in a perfect orange red $$)
A Datsun 240Z 1972 vintage
A Chevrolet Corvair Monza Coupe
A Ford Fiesta XR2, early 80's
A late production Fiat 500L
A Fiat 500 Abarth current production
A Fiat Dino Coupe early
A Fiat Dino Coupe late
A Lancia Monte Carlo S3
A Lancia Gamma Coupe
A Lancia Hyena
A Autozam AZ-1
An Opel GT 1.9
A Porsche 944 S2 (nice one on Bringatrailer this week)
A Porsche 911SC Coupe, no whale tale or other rear spoiler
A Saab 900 Turbo
A 1980 VW Scirocco
A 1984 GTI
A 1988 GTI 16v
A 1988 Scirocco 16v
A 1993 Corrado
A Westfields 11 (a Lotus 11 replica)
A Beck 550 (a Porsche 550 replica)
A Lynx D Type (a Jaguar D Type replica, all aluminum oh so very nice)

That should get me started, I don't want to be too greedy. There are a whole pile of nifty little cars I would love to get. Along with a few really ridiculous cars.

Last edited:
We are a modest bunch here....

No McLaren F1 yet?:D

I do like Karl's list a lot (I think it's a Westfield 11, isn' it?) Might want one of the C-type Jag replicas (Proteus?) too!:eek:mg:

Thanks for the list Karl

But just the one car which you prize above everything (X1/9 excepted) was my hope mate.

I saw the "ones" in your title and launched from there! Ooops.

If I had to choose just one. Either the BMW M1 or likely a mid run Acura NSX with pop up headlights and a hard top.

The BMW is just an amazing car and really speaks to being a late 70s design.

The Acura is really the first modern super car that takes advantage of all a volume manufacturer has to offer.

I'd choose the M1 in Henna Red, this one is identical to one I drove in 1980 when I worked at a garage doing car inspections.

tumblr_llbwahY0c41qht0e4o1_500.jpg

1980_BMW_M1_Henna_Red_For_Sale_German_Spec_Rear_0_resize.jpg

1980_BMW_M1_Henna_Red_For_Sale_German_Spec_Front_resize.jpg

1980_BMW_M1_Henna_Red_For_Sale_German_Spec_Interior_resize.jpg

bmw_m1_interior.jpg

1980_BMW_M1_Henna_Red_For_Sale_German_Spec_Engine_resize.jpg

Yeah I lust after them too ...

Beautiful Giugiaro body with unbreakable German hardware - cool. One of them in gunmetal grey would be a close contender for my affections. I have this itch for an 850 though, and prices are dropping to almost-in-reach levels. A bit of luck with my finances and the mid-range cars at around $15k would be very tempting.
Good luck with the M1. Last I heard the ticket read $200k .... :eek:mg:

One thing I'd want to pick up would be another mid/late 70's Z/28 Camaro's. I had a 78 Z/28 that was completely stock for most of the time I owned it, and really pretty slow... but it was simply a blast to drive. I was living in a rural area at the time, and the miles I spent flinging it down gravel roads with abandon were simply a blast. Those cars are tough as nails too! Airborn jumps, using the median of the interstate for u-turns 'just because', lawn jobs... those old Camaro's and Firebirds are always willing and able. I've slid off into soybean fields more than a few times, and just kept my boot in it and drove out! 300 or so HP and some beefed up brakes and I'd be tickled pink cruising around in it.

It could look like a beater too... in fact I think I'd like it that way. Mine was ugly and it CLEARLY intimidated traffic... when you casually rolled up behind someone, they moved over asap! Driving it down country roads, or city streets, everyone gave the thing a wide berth, like they'd just seen Spicoli driving the Z/28 in FastTimes at Ridgemont High the evening before!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKGCjS1zxgc"]1979 Camaro z/28 (Fast Times At Ridgemont High) - YouTube[/ame]

And living in a farming area, this clip from a Steve McQueen flick always cracked me up... sort of a 'been there, done that' thing... minutes 4:00 through 7:20! And the slam through the ditch at 6:45? Yep! I've done stuff like that where I had to loosen and try to realign the front fenders and hood as best I could! One particular 'stunt' when I first got the car required a trip to the muffler shop since both mufflers got ripped off in the landing! Awesome cars... too bad there are so few of them left.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0bjDgS5soA"]Steve McQueen: The Hunter (Trans Am scenes) - YouTube[/ame]

Hi, in my case I am fortunate to have my all time favorite car in all history of this planet: The X1/9

Of the obtainable dream cars that I have never had, this is my short list:

BMW 2.8 or 3.0 Coupe
BMW 2002 (1974- 1976)
Triumph TR 6
Volvo 1800 Coupe

Of the ones I have actually had:

Lancia Beta Coupe
Porsche 928
Lotus Turbo esprit
Alfa Romeo Spider
Jaguar XJ 6
MB SL (vintage,modern)

Life goes on, who knows what lies ahead?

Arrh Jim lad ....

Two lusty wenches in one photo! I was at my local track, Oulton Park in nearby Cheshire when Sandro Munari drove into park ferme with his Alitalia Stratos in '74 and almost ran me over as I lay on my belly taking a ground shot as he drove towards me!
It was so cold that day that you could break the ice on a puddle of water and watch it re-freeze.
The other car is the BMW CSL Batmobile, a phenominally successful circuit racer. I watched the battle with the Capri RS 2.6's at a few circuits like Mallory and Snetterton. Great memories!
:thumbsup:

ng1001418.jpg

CapriMassBMW35Stuck.jpg

ps Jim - check out my coup on that interesting thread!

Last edited:
I really hate to be a cliche'...

But the LP500 Countach is by far the end all, be all car for me. I know its horrible to drive, it smells of exhaust, you'll go deaf just driving it down the street. But my god it just reeks sex. In White please!

countach_lp500_s_img01.jpg

Lamborghini-Countach-LP5000-S_4.jpg

Back