Cause of leaking gas?

Henway

True Classic
I don't have time to address or look at the problem this week, but for the first time it started leaking gas from under the rear of the left door. It's only when the car was running. I turned it off and it stopped leaking. Before I get into it, any suggestions of what this typically may be?

Fuel supply or return line is leaking.

Stop driving the car. Get a foot of 12mm supply hose and at least a similar amount of 8mm fuel hose and replace them both. Use new clamps.

It's likely just the return line but both are old and will leak eventually. Sounds like all the lines need replacement, going through this myself.

The line fittings are on the bottom of the gas tank so when you remove the old lines, all the gas in the tank will pour out.....hope you don't have a full tank.

I don't have time to address or look at the problem this week, but for the first time it started leaking gas from under the rear of the left door. It's only when the car was running. I turned it off and it stopped leaking. Before I get into it, any suggestions of what this typically may be?
Same problem. Hoping to get under the car and check it today.

Hopefully you don't have a lot of fuel in the tank. If not, you can remove the supply line (thicker one that goes to the fuel pump) and let things drain into one or two lower profile oil pans. If you have two, you can drain one into a 5 gal bucket while the other is filling and swap them a few times. After draining, do as Carl suggests and replace the lines from the supply side to the fuel pump and to the fuel filter. Also replace the smaller return line. Replace the fittings at the same time. If your tank is especially old and may have some rust inside, I recommend a small pre-filter with 1/2 inch connection for rust/sediment capture between the tank outlet and the fuel pump.

My issue was a split fuel line coming up and out of the fuel pump. There was enough slack that I was able to cut the split area way and reattach it.

Replace it. It is not worth the risk. Replace all the lines leading from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the hard line leading to the fuel rail. If the one line split then the others are not far behind.

You don’t want to lose a car to a fire.

Replace it. It is not worth the risk. Replace all the lines leading from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the hard line leading to the fuel rail. If the one line split then the others are not far behind.

You don’t want to lose a car to a fire.
Good advice, I'll do that. Thanks

Back