Changing from ‘79 to ‘80 light switch

BerlinaTO

Daily Driver
Getting my ‘79 X ready for her safety certificate and need to replace the light switch. The seller included a switch from an ‘80 car and the connectors are in a different location than the ‘79s. Any suggestions on how I would connect this in the right way without shorting something out? 🤔
Thanks!
Livio

251775E0-F031-461C-B4AB-70C3FFE6C46C.jpeg

Actually Dennis bought it from Bayless. I am happy to trade, but I need to get this working for the safety certificate this week. Let’s trade later on, maybe even during the winter when the car is sleeping?

There were old threads discussing various headlight switch replacements and installations. Especially for the years that are difficult to find replacements for. For example things like using a Panda switch. They described how to correct the wiring. Sorry I don't have links to any of those threads, but hopefully someone else does.

Okay, so in the spirit of needing to get this done today I decided to open both switches to help figure out what connections go where. In the end I realized the contacts were good in my 1979 connector so could keep that and not have to figure out what wires go where on the 1980 connector. What was worn out was one of the spring loaded tips that are part of the rocker switch, so I swapped that in, circled in red. I’ve also attached both opened switches side by side in case anyone needs to see what’s inside for future reference.
Cheers,
Livio

35D8642F-ABE8-49AA-AA1D-98C85D2F5A89.jpeg
EE5ABC80-C027-4358-8F81-543E8D7FAAF7.jpeg

I would be careful. The ‘79 is unique to its wiring. You could look at the wiring diagrams and see how they differ but the switches are probably not interchangeable.

Okay, so in the spirit of needing to get this done today I decided to open both switches to help figure out what connections go where. In the end I realized the contacts were good in my 1979 connector so could keep that and not have to figure out what wires go where on the 1980 connector. What was worn out was one of the spring loaded tips that are part of the rocker switch, so I swapped that in, circled in red. I’ve also attached both opened switches side by side in case anyone needs to see what’s inside for future reference.
Cheers,
Livio

View attachment 35476View attachment 35477
I was going to suggest that you can take them apart to see what was wrong with the ‘79 but you figured it out yourself. Great job!

Thanks Rodger, the seller had done that and the Brown wire mod not too long ago. I did find one of the connections was very loose at the back of the switch, so possibly it had been for awhile, and may have caused high resistance and overheating when the switch was in the full on position.
Cheers
Livio

may have caused high resistance and overheating when the switch was in the full on position
Possibly, however those internal points tend to wear out on these switches anyway. Particularly the driver's side that gets the most use, so swapping the two switches (passenger for driver) at some point helps prolong their life. There are older threads describing ways to rebuild them...basically as you did. ;)

Possibly, however those internal points tend to wear out on these switches anyway. Particularly the driver's side that gets the most use, so swapping the two switches (passenger for driver) at some point helps prolong their life. There are older threads describing ways to rebuild them...basically as you did. ;)
Dr Jeff what do you mean by driver’s side and passenger’s side?

Sorry, I was referring to the two power window switches by mistake. The exact same issue and fix applies to them and I forgot we are discussing the headlight switch in this case. My fault. :rolleyes: But the point about it wearing out still applies.

There were old threads discussing various headlight switch replacements and installations. Especially for the years that are difficult to find replacements for. For example things like using a Panda switch. They described how to correct the wiring. Sorry I don't have links to any of those threads, but hopefully someone else does.

You could look in the Best of...... spoiler alert!! It's in there. It has a bit of link degradation, but lots of info still present.

Welcome to the forum BerlinaTo. As Beezee said, there are actually quite a few X owners around the GTA. And yes....do reach out if you need any parts or assistance or special tools, etc.

And hey...looks like you sure got a good one there. So you likely wont need much help LOL. Looks to be nicer than any of ours.....

By the way....as for your headlight switch.....yup the '79 only switch is indeed different than any other year. And I think is common to only X1/9 - not other Fiat models. Yes....I think the '80-'82 switch physically fits in the dash hole.....but yup the wiring is different. And sorry....I dont know how to re-wire so that the '80-'82 switch you have there will work.

But looks like you managed to re-build your switch for now.

If...in the future it gives you any more grief.....you could get a decent used one from Daniel. Or....if you prefer new...they are still available from time to time. It is Fiat # 4423998

If..you develop the habit of trolling Ebay and the web for X1/9 parts - and sadly you will LOL - keep your eyes out for one. They do pop up pretty often. Just watch out for someone selling a " Fiat Strada/X1/9" headlight switch. As the more common Strada switch looks almost exactly the same - but only has 4 pins on the back. It wont work....

Now....lets see some more pics of your new X.

Cheers, Doug

Welcome to the forum BerlinaTo. As Beezee said, there are actually quite a few X owners around the GTA. And yes....do reach out if you need any parts or assistance or special tools, etc.

And hey...looks like you sure got a good one there. So you likely wont need much help LOL. Looks to be nicer than any of ours.....

By the way....as for your headlight switch.....yup the '79 only switch is indeed different than any other year. And I think is common to only X1/9 - not other Fiat models. Yes....I think the '80-'82 switch physically fits in the dash hole.....but yup the wiring is different. And sorry....I dont know how to re-wire so that the '80-'82 switch you have there will work.

But looks like you managed to re-build your switch for now.

If...in the future it gives you any more grief.....you could get a decent used one from Daniel. Or....if you prefer new...they are still available from time to time. It is Fiat # 4423998

If..you develop the habit of trolling Ebay and the web for X1/9 parts - and sadly you will LOL - keep your eyes out for one. They do pop up pretty often. Just watch out for someone selling a " Fiat Strada/X1/9" headlight switch. As the more common Strada switch looks almost exactly the same - but only has 4 pins on the back. It wont work....

Now....lets see some more pics of your new X.

Cheers, Doug
Thank you for all the above Doug. Sounds like that switch is worth more than it’s weight in gold. The car is in great shape, but I’ll be back with more questions, I’m just going to space them out a bit, haha. I’ll post some pics in the Discussion forum as soon as I get a chance.
Cheers
Livio

if I am remembering correctly. it's not that it won't work. the other switch just has no provisions to run the lights up/down. one could do that with another switch, or relays.

that is if I am remembering an old conversation correctly

Sounds like that switch is worth more than it’s weight in gold.

Naah.....no not at all. With any luck you should be able to find a new NOS one for perhaps $20 to $60 or so. Likely far cheaper than a headlight switch from whatever modern car you drive daily. Just keep looking....

if I am remembering correctly. it's not that it won't work. the other switch just has no provisions to run the lights up/down. one could do that with another switch, or relays.

that is if I am remembering an old conversation correctly

Yes ....correct. The Strada switch could be made to work...but would need 4 relays or something. I would not bother when the proper switch is still available. I think you are mostly referring to the "really tough to find" headlight switch for the '83 and up Bertone models. Yes....those are almost impossible to still find NOS...and VERY pricey if you do find one. Yes..in that case you can use a cheap and easy to find new NOS fiat Panda switch.....by using those 4 relays to get it to work on an X1/9......

Back