Changing rear factory speakers

I got to hear an install in a Porsche which I thought would work well in an X. They installed the subs in the front trunk area (smaller box, so the top fits, etc) and ported it into the cabin interior. It sounded great. Problem is we just don't have a lot of good options for Mids (6 1/2) in the car without doing a considerable amount of work on the doors.

Problem is we just don't have a lot of good options for Mids (6 1/2) in the car without doing a considerable amount of work on the doors.
Agreed, I hate cutting into door panels for speakers. Especially when a prior owner has done a poor job of it. But even worse is often they don't sound very good mounted there. I'm with the others that have mounted 6.5" rounds in the kick panels. If the speakers are not extremely deep (there's a lot of variance in designs) and a new panel is made to keep them tucked in as much as possible, then they do not take up too much of the valuable interior space. Plus that position tends to give a decent sound. I've gone that route on several of my vintage cars. But as I stated earlier I don't get too extreme with my sound systems anymore - just the one pair of 6.5's. So placement is important for a fairly balanced sound.

Agreed, I hate cutting into door panels for speakers. Especially when a prior owner has done a poor job of it. But even worse is often they don't sound very good mounted there. I'm with the others that have mounted 6.5" rounds in the kick panels. If the speakers are not extremely deep (there's a lot of variance in designs) and a new panel is made to keep them tucked in as much as possible, then they do not take up too much of the valuable interior space. Plus that position tends to give a decent sound. I've gone that route on several of my vintage cars. But as I stated earlier I don't get too extreme with my sound systems anymore - just the one pair of 6.5's. So placement is important for a fairly balanced sound.

That's what I did - mine are from my old V70 :D

IMG-20200102-140831.jpg

My 6.5" two ways had really large magnets so I cut a hole in the sheet metal for them to clear so they don't take up much room. I think the sheet metal cavity may actually enhance the bass. I seem to recall putting some sound deadening material in to make it an "infinite baffle" acoustically.

putting some sound deadening material in
I have some molded foam "cups" that I purchased decades ago for another vehicle but never used. Hopefully they will fit behind the 6.5's in the kick-panels. They are a easy way to help isolate the speaker:

x696B050330-f.jpg

An issue I found is beind the left side seat, where the Fuel Tank resides, there's not a lot of depth to work with.
This limits whet you put there unless it is raised. (which I suppose you can do, but looks like after-thought IMHO)

there's not a lot of depth to work with
Good point Bob. And the narrow shelf does not have much 'width' to work with either. So the rear shelf is a rather limited area for speakers in general. Plus with the shelf right next to the passengers heads there won't be a much balance of sound; the driver will mostly hear the "left" channel and passenger the "right" channel. Now you got me wondering why they chose there instead of other locations, like say the kick-panels or make room on the top of the dash like most vehicles had in that era?

I almost get the impression that a STEREO radio was an afterthought in an X ...
My first X, a 1974 model, came with an AM radio with the speaker on the right-hand side of the dash.
The factory Stereo radio (few were actually sold with these cars) came with the speakers on the plate behind the seat as we know but they weren't anything in the way of good quality sound. But they were better than nothing. (barely)

I never saw a 74 delivered with a factory radio in Northern California. The dealers all used the same kit with an AM/FM only radio mounted in the center of the dash and 4 inch speakers in the doors. I drove my car to the East Coast when it was new and was surprised to find the ones delivered there had rear window defrosters.

My first X, a 1974 model, came with an AM radio with the speaker on the right-hand side of the dash.
The dealers all used the same kit with an AM/FM only radio mounted in the center of the dash and 4 inch speakers in the doors.
Regardless of the inclusion of a radio/speaker or not, did all of the early cars have the place for a speaker in the dash? And did any cars with early style dashes also get rear shelf speakers - or was that only on the cars with the later style dash?

I imagine the specific equipment that came on the cars (rear defroster, radio, AC, etc) was something the dealer determined when ordering their allotment from Fiat, based on what he thought would sell in his region. Although in those days most manufacturers did not give the dealers a lot of choice with what they got - no idea how Fiat was in that regard.

My 1974 X did not have a rear window defroster, it was clear glass. No option for it either.
I don't recall any patterns in the shelf below the rear window to indicate that speakers were meant for that location.
I think that came a year later. Maybe someone with a 1974 can verify this.

As far as I recall, all the 74 - 78 cars had the speaker grill in front of the passenger seat, and I do not recall any having the rear speakers. My 74 has the sheet metal stamped for what appears to be for speakers under the rear shelf but they are not cut out or drilled. If they were available for the early cars, maybe the dealers could have avoided carving up the door cards on most of their X1/9s so they could install these poor sounding 4" speakers with tiny magnets (not enough clearance inside for decent ones).

I would second Bob's comment about stereo being a complete afterthought in the design. You could also make the argument that monaural was also an afterthought except for the speaker. There was really no place to install a radio in the original design. The dealer installed center mounted radios required cutting an ugly hole in the dash, and the plastic cover that hid the mess looked like a complete kludge. I ended up using the space for the mono speaker to mount the stereo as there was no viable option for tiny car audio back then.

Check out Craig Sheppard on U-tube He has some really good videos. Here is one with his rear speaker install.

Here is one with his rear speaker install
He did a really nice job. I like some of the custom touches and excellent craftsmanship.
I don't mean to be critical, but it seems like a lot of work for very small speakers, with a limited aperture, in a seemingly compromised location (sound wise). I believe the same effort applied to making custom kick panels with larger speakers would result in a much better sound. Even if fidelity isn't the goal, that seems to be a better option to me. But as I said, I appreciate his work. I'll have to see what other videos he has.

He did a really nice job. I like some of the custom touches and excellent craftsmanship.
I don't mean to be critical, but it seems like a lot of work for very small speakers, with a limited aperture, in a seemingly compromised location (sound wise). I believe the same effort applied to making custom kick panels with larger speakers would result in a much better sound. Even if fidelity isn't the goal, that seems to be a better option to me. But as I said, I appreciate his work. I'll have to see what other videos he has.
I had the same reaction. A real nice custom speaker installation which obviously took much work but he is ending up with two 4" round speakers in the end. If you are doing as much work as he did, I'm sure there are better options for speakers.

I plan to ditch the whole system and go with iPod and one of these
Sort of along those lines (kinda), there were discussions previously about using various bluetooth speakers (actual speakers in this case) - driven from a phone or pod. There are a multitude of such speakers in every imaginable configuration. However most of the ones I've heard sound terrible to me. Although I'm sure there must be something decent available in bluetooth. I haven't sampled any of the bone "collar" type like you linked, please let us know how they do.

Has anybody done something like this for the foot wells?
That's about what we've been referring to as "kick panel" speakers. The ones you pictured appear to be larger, deeper speakers that stick out more. That might be too intrusive in the tight X1/9 footwells?

Companies make pre-fitted kick panel replacements like that for certain cars. Obviously not for a X1/9, but there are also some universal ones that might make the install easier:
universal__24480.1422560597.386.513.jpg

Has anybody done something like this for the foot wells?
Mine are in the same general location but are pretty flush. They are mounted on a particle board baffle behind the carpet and the magnets extend through a hole in the sheet metal. Visually, they look pretty much like the grills are sitting right on top of the standard carpet configuration. I currently have 6.5" two ways in there but I may see if there is any chance some spare 6 x 9 three ways may fit.

Back