Changing rear factory speakers

That's about what we've been referring to as "kick panel" speakers. The ones you pictured appear to be larger, deeper speakers that stick out more. That might be too intrusive in the tight X1/9 footwells?

Companies make pre-fitted kick panel replacements like that for certain cars. Obviously not for a X1/9, but there are also some universal ones that might make the install easier:
View attachment 29386

I wounder if a good 4 inch driver in a kickplate box and a remote tweeter would be better. There is not a lot of room under there.

Mine are in the same general location but are pretty flush. They are mounted on a particle board baffle behind the carpet and the magnets extend through a hole in the sheet metal.
From Don's earlier post, here is what his look like:
1974 X19 Stereo Installation.jpg

And I don't recall who this was, someone here:
file_zpsc97bd3fd.jpg

I was wondering what the originals looked like. Thanks for posting. Now I have Ideas of how to make it work. Are there pre-drilled holes on the shelf for those? I have not Taken the back shelf apart yet. I was thinking of stamping some grills out of perforated aluminum to fit back there.

So just got all the speaker parts of the head unit. This should get my Neil Diamond cassettes pumping in the X. Component 6.5s for the kick plates, tweets for the doors or dash, 4x6 for back and going to reuse some Audi Bose 6” subs, that I repaired, in the spare wheel well behind the passenger.

Big question is how do you get the 4x6 speakers in the back? These are identical size to the Pioneers. Is there some trick to sliding them in there?

Speakers.jpg

You have to angle them & shove the back edge into the crevice between the vertical trim & the speaker land, then press the magnet down past the forward edge of the opening. If the magnet is larger than the Pioneer, I doubt it will fit.

Got the rear 4x6 installed and fabled up some grills. Also made some padded coves that will be recoloured Porsche cork tan.

View attachment 29772
This is in a ‘79? Any idea if the available depth is the same across many years? I measured my ‘74 space today, and I think the depth was only 3.2”, which wouldn‘t fit a 6”x4”? How did you achieve this, ‘cause it looks great.

Those speakers were installed in 1980 and replaced an earlier set I installed in 1974. For 39 years old, they still sound good. I am sure there must be better sounding ones available today in that size - maybe a future project.
Did you ever move on trying to put speakers in the back shelf on your ‘74? Try anything else? Mine also has 6.5” in the foot wells, but the sound gets muffled coming out of there I’m finding. 6x4” behind would be a nice addition, but it’s really tight back there.

Did you ever move on trying to put speakers in the back shelf on your ‘74? Try anything else? Mine also has 6.5” in the foot wells, but the sound gets muffled coming out of there I’m finding. 6x4” behind would be a nice addition, but it’s really tight back there.
Back when I put the stereo in there were no speakers that size worth listening to. On the 74s I have seen the underside of the parcel shelf, the speaker locations are not punched out in the sheet metal. That could be cut but I think you would want to remove the plastic cover so it doesn't get trashed by the metal cutting. You would likely need to remove the gas tank to get the driver's side. Somewhere on this site is a photo of a tank whose top has perforations in the shape of a 4 x 6 speaker!

Back when I put the stereo in there were no speakers that size worth listening to. On the 74s I have seen the underside of the parcel shelf, the speaker locations are not punched out in the sheet metal. That could be cut but I think you would want to remove the plastic cover so it doesn't get trashed by the metal cutting. You would likely need to remove the gas tank to get the driver's side. Somewhere on this site is a photo of a tank whose top has perforations in the shape of a 4 x 6 speaker!
Oh, I didn’t realize later years had the sheet metal with pre-cut outs. Is that the case? I’m thinking anything electromagnetic over a gas tank is a bad idea? If it came to that much work, not worth it. Can the shelf be elevated 2-3”? I’ll look into that, or a custom frame that sits atop the shelf...

Why do you think anything electromagnetic near the gas tank is a bad idea? A speaker above the tank is likely much more benign than the sending unit for the fuel gauge which is immersed in gasoline.

Why do you think anything electromagnetic near the gas tank is a bad idea? A speaker above the tank is likely much more benign than the sending unit for the fuel gauge which is immersed in gasoline.
yeah, true I guess. Must be all the sparks I‘ve seen this week behind the center console...

How much work went into getting those speakers in there, any customization to the shelf needed?
not really. On the gas tank side there is very little clearance at the magnet. It would all depend on the speaker. There is not a lot of room. I removed the padding on the OEM shelf and made my own padded covers.

Back