Changing the Evaporator on a Fiat 500

TonyK

True Classic
This is a daunting task and has one fellow from the UK stated the Fiat 500 assembly consists of installing the heater matrix, then placing the entire rest of the car around it. Yes parts are everywhere. It will take about 13 hours to do the job and there will be parts left over, not sure why but there will be. If I were to start and do this again, first step would be to removed the doors from the car after disconnecting the battery and draining the coolant. It is helpful to leave the seats installed but everything looking forward on the dash must go.

I will let the pictures do the talking, having my son Scott there as an assistant was great ask he kept the parts organized and lent a hand to hold parts in position.

The heater box requires it to be split in two to remove the evaporator, this could have been simpler. I purchased an evaporator from Rock Auto for $135CND delivered to my home in Grimsby. On the down side of that the out put lines needed to be bent to fit the correct location. Currently the car now has AC.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0406.JPG
IMG_0407.JPG
20180908_142020.jpg
IMG_0408.JPG

A few nuts and bolts left over.

IMG_0409.JPG

We all have our short comings that relate into short comings and extra parts.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

That is depressing. My wifes 2013 POP has 110,000 miles. Does your 500 have a lot of miles? Pretty sure if the AC goes I think the car will go.

That is really something else. I had to replace the passenger window regulator, in cabin filter and engine airfilter. However, I do have an issue with the rear hatch no longer working and the remote no longer locks the car either. Looks like I will have to go on the hunt for where the break is. It's not in the usual places which is a bummer...

Nice job!

Given the amount of work you had to do I’m actually surprised there’s only one wine bottle cork. : ) I’d be pulling my hair out. Well, what’s left of it. : )

DOH! Tony, if my AC goes on my Abarth… I'm just going to keep the windows down! lol.

Eric - the hatch wiring breaks at the flex point. They sell repair kits on ebay, but it's just as easy to pull each wire and redo them.

Ouch!

So, with these, there are no software issues as long as everything is put back before the battery is reconnected?
In other words , one does not have to get a dealer to do a system reset or anything like that?

Just make sure all the sensors are the ones that were on the original engine. The computers (emphasis on the s) are looking for specific inputs so make sure that it’s the same sensor if possible.

Back