Changing your Coolant Hoses

KBabcock

True Classic
Just finished replacing just about all the major heater hose and thought I would do a quick write up of the process. In this project I replaced the 4 main hose which attach to the metal pipes running under the car, The short 90 degree piece attached to the thermostat housing and the heater core hose running from the engine to the small metal pipe running under the car. The few remaining lines where already replaced so I omitted them here.

Let's start with 4 main hoses off the Metal pipe under the car. The two in the back are pretty straight forward and hardest thing was pulling them out and pushing them in because they are large 90 molded pieces.

Let me state a few things before proceeding, I was replacing this hoses and using new compression bands, worm screw type clamps for 1.25" hose and 5/8" hose but because the metal tubes under the car in the rear did not have much of a lip at the ends I decided to go with Stainless Steel T-Bolt Clamps with Rounded Bands on the rear main pipe ends, they wider and will hold better. These were 41-46mm size to fit 1.25" hoses.
1653185268987.png
1653185501653.png

Because I was not reusing the hoses I cut off any stubborn hoses with a utility knife. I suggest cutting the rubber pipes about 2" parallel to the metal pipe and not all the way through to avoid scaring the metal pipe. Once you slip a screw driver between the pipe and the rubber hose the remaining rubber will just split the rest of the way.
1653186858713.jpeg

So back to the rear pipes going into the engine bay. Once you remove the pipes from the tubes and engine you need to pull them out. The passenger side comes out easiest up through the engine bay while I found the Driver's side comes out easiest from under the car pulling down. These were pretty straight forward. One more note my car is an 85 and has a metal coating on the pipes under the car which were corroding into a white powder, I wired brushed them down and painted them before installing the hoses.
1653187616366.jpeg

Next up are the front two hose from the pipes to the radiator. The one on the drivers side is very straightforward and easy. The one on the passenger side is hard to get at on the radiator connection up top. I heard a lot of people talking about this one and was starting to get worried about having to deal with it. It turned out to be not that bad for me. Like all the clamps, spray them the day before with penetrating oil and let sit 24 hours. This did not help one of the clamps, they are a odd compression design and the head snapped off. I used a bolt cutter to cut the treated screw and it came right off. To get to the bolt up top I used a long 1/4" extension with a universal joint and had no problems on my car, your mileage may very.
1653188455037.jpeg
1653188480202.jpeg

Now this next hose I thought would be easy but due to its location there is a lot of stuff in the way. To get to this and the heater core hose (They are right next to each other) I removed the top of the air filter with the intake pipe. Also remove the access panel in the Truck to better access to these hoses. This is a small 90 degree hose about 5"x5" and I just cut it off which made that part easy. The new pipe is very hard to fit, I highly recommend letting it sit in the sun for 30 minutes or in front of a heat to make it more pliable. Because of the two hose fitting being so close together you have to really push and twist this hose to get it on, use a large screw drive but be careful not to damage the pipe. This pipe is shown with the center arrow. The other two arrow show the hose to the heater core pipe which we will address now.
1653189244494.jpeg

The heater core line is different then the others because you need to sourse this line yourself. The other lines I installed where available from Midwest Bayless or Vicks. For this line they say just use standard 5/8" heater hose. This is not a good idea in my book because the hose attaches to the engine facing the back of the car and needs to do a U-turn to get to the front of the engine where it drops under the car. It is very easy for it to crimp as its a tighter turn. You are best to find a hose with a molded 90 turn. Below are three hoses. The one on the right is the hose I removed (OEM), you can see the 90 bend after 4 to 5 inches. The yellow highlight at the end of this hose is just a piece of pipe I had to put into the hose to straighten it for the picture, just ignore it. This line is 48" on the long section. The hose in the center was a NAPA part someone recommended and was two short, it was on 36" on the long end. The one on the left is the one I sourced. It is a 90 degree molded bend 5" x 60", this is 12" longer than the OEM hose. When I ordered it I did not know the correct size exactly so went with the upper limit. As it turned out this was a good move. It allowed me to run the pipe in a way that limited interference. You can see this hose in the picture above with the blue arrows at the top and bottom of the picture. Notice the 90 bend and you will see why you want it and not a straight hose. This part was bought on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/164547786341 the seller was called KE-Sales. But if you type 5/8" Heater hose molded 90 degree 5"x60" You will find a number of people selling them. The 60" is also easier to sourse then a 48".

Update thanks to Dan, NAPA Part (5"x60") which was only $25 https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBH9814

1653189640935.jpeg

I feel the 48" would have been two short. When all was done I had 4" of extra hose cut off the 60" end.
1653191139247.jpeg

1653191195858.jpeg

So that's it, if anyone has any other tips please add them in. Enjoy.
1653193144951.jpeg

Attachments

• 1653186777375.png
    1653186777375.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Great write up. Thank you for taking the time.

I would note the arrangement of the main hoses from the tubes to the thermostat housing is important, it creates a sort of box around the starter and will make your life better if you have to service your starter in future.

I am not a fan of the type of clamps which express the slots against the hose itself. Gates makes a clamp intended for silicone hoses with an inner slip surface and a slightly rolled edge. These are not expensive and work well in my experience with standard hoses. They are not the constant tension type but my experience has been good with them.

As I have two X’s I bought a box of the right sizes from RockAuto. Though Amazon has similar prices, it comes down to who you want to support.

781D04A1-A1D2-4B7A-834B-CE1A3BE9E701.jpeg

Just finished replacing just about all the major heater hose and thought I would do a quick write up of the process. In this project I replaced the 4 main hose which attach to the metal pipes running under the car, The short 90 degree piece attached to the thermostat and the heater core hose running from the engine to the small metal pipe running under the car. The few remaining lines where already replaced so I omitted them here.

Lets start with 4 main hoses off the Metal pipe under the car. The two in the back are pretty straight forward and hardest thing was pulling them out and in because they are large 90 molded pieces.

Let me state a few things before proceeding, I was replacing this hoses and using new compression bands, worm screw type clamps for 1.25" hose and 5/8" hose but because the metal tubes under the car in the rear did not have much of a lip at the ends I decided to go with Stainless Steel T-Bolt Clamps with Rounded Bands on the rear main pipe ends. These were 41-46mm size to fit 1.25" hoses.
View attachment 61954View attachment 61955

Because I was not reusing the hoses I cut off any stubborn hoses with a utility knife. I suggest cutting the rubber pipes about 2" parallel to the metal pipe and not all the way through to avoid scaring the metal pipe. Once you slip a screw driver between the pipe and the rubber hose the remaining rubber will just split the rest of the way.
View attachment 61959

So back to the rear pipes going into the engine bay. Once you remove the pipes from the tubes and engine you need to pull them out. The passenger side comes out easiest up through the engine bay while I found the Driver's side comes out easiest from under the car pulling down. These were pretty straight forward. One more note my car is an 85 and has a metal coating on the pipes which were corroding into a white powder, I wired brushed them down and painted them before installing the hoses.
View attachment 61960

Next up are the front two hose from the pipes to the radiator. The one on the drivers side is very straight forward and easy. The one on the passenger side is hard to get at on the radiator connection up top. I heard a lot of people talking about this one and was starting to get worried having to deal with it. It turned out to be not that bad for me. Like all the clamps spray them the day before with penetrating oil and let sit 24 hours. This did not help one of the clamps, they are a weird compression design and the head snapped off. I used a bold cutter to cut the treated screw and it came right off. To get to the bolt up top I used a long 1/4" extension with a universal joint and had no problems on my car, your mileage may very.
View attachment 61961View attachment 61962

Now this next hose I thought would be easy but due to it's location there is a lot of stuff in the way. To get to this and the heater core hose (They are right next to each other) I removed the top of the air filter with the intake pipe. Also remove the access panel in the Truck to better access to these hoses. This is a small 90 degree hose about 5"x5" and I just cut it off which made that part easy. The new pipe is very hard to fit, I highly recommend letting it sit in the sun for 30 minutes or in front of a heat to make it more pliable. Because of the two hose fitting being so close together you have to really push and twist this hose to get it on, use a large screw drive but be careful not to damage the pipe. This pipe is shown with the center arrow. The other two arrow show the hose to the heater core pipe which we will address now.
View attachment 61963

The heater core line is different then the others because you need to sourse this line yourself. The other lines I installed where available from Midwest Bayless or Vicks. This line they say just use standard 5/8" heater hose. This is not a good idea in my book because the hose attaches to the engine facing the back of the car and needs to do a U-turn to get to the front of the engine where it drops under the car. It is very easy for it to crimp. You are best to find a hose with a molded 90 turn. Below are three hoses. The one on the right is the hose I removed, you can see the 90 bend after 4 to 5 inches. The yellow high lighted at the end this hose is just a piece of pipe I had to put into the hose to straighten it for the picture, just ignore it. This line is 48" on the long section. The hose in the center was a NAPA part someone recommended and was two short, it was on 36" on the long end. The one on the left is the one I sourced. It is a 90 degree molded bend 5" x 60", this is 12" longer then the previous pipe when I ordered it I did not know the current size exactly s0 went with the upper limit. As it turned out this was a good move. It allowed me to run the pipe in a way that limited interference. You can see this hose in the picture above with the blue arrows at the top and bottom of the picture. Notice the 90 bend and you will see why you want it. This part was bought on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/164547786341 the seller was called KE-Sales. But if you type 5/8" Heater hose molded 90 degree 5"x60" You will find a number of people selling them.

View attachment 61964

I feel the 48" would have been two short. When all was done I had 4" of extra hose cut off the 60" end.
View attachment 61965

View attachment 61966

So that's it, if anyoe has any other tips please add them in. Enjoy.
View attachment 61967
I'm surprised the 36" version would have been way to short, I was definitely remembering that's what I used.

I saved the stick-on part number label somewhere in my stash of cooling system related stuff (clamps, stats, senders, etc) so I'll have to look and re-check thar part number. Could be that I did use the longer version and just somehow got fixated on the wrong length. Will follow up with a report 👍

Just finished replacing just about all the major heater hose and thought I would do a quick write up of the process. In this project I replaced the 4 main hose which attach to the metal pipes running under the car, The short 90 degree piece attached to the thermostat and the heater core hose running from the engine to the small metal pipe running under the car. The few remaining lines where already replaced so I omitted them here.

Lets start with 4 main hoses off the Metal pipe under the car. The two in the back are pretty straight forward and hardest thing was pulling them out and in because they are large 90 molded pieces.

Let me state a few things before proceeding, I was replacing this hoses and using new compression bands, worm screw type clamps for 1.25" hose and 5/8" hose but because the metal tubes under the car in the rear did not have much of a lip at the ends I decided to go with Stainless Steel T-Bolt Clamps with Rounded Bands on the rear main pipe ends. These were 41-46mm size to fit 1.25" hoses.
View attachment 61954View attachment 61955

View attachment 61959

So back to the rear pipes going into the engine bay. Once you remove the pipes from the tubes and engine you need to pull them out. The passenger side comes out easiest up through the engine bay while I found the Driver's side comes out easiest from under the car pulling down. These were pretty straight forward. One more note my car is an 85 and has a metal coating on the pipes which were corroding into a white powder, I wired brushed them down and painted them before installing the hoses.
View attachment 61960

Next up are the front two hose from the pipes to the radiator. The one on the drivers side is very straight forward and easy. The one on the passenger side is hard to get at on the radiator connection up top. I heard a lot of people talking about this one and was starting to get worried having to deal with it. It turned out to be not that bad for me. Like all the clamps spray them the day before with penetrating oil and let sit 24 hours. This did not help one of the clamps, they are a weird compression design and the head snapped off. I used a bold cutter to cut the treated screw and it came right off. To get to the bolt up top I used a long 1/4" extension with a universal joint and had no problems on my car, your mileage may very.
View attachment 61961View attachment 61962

Now this next hose I thought would be easy but due to it's location there is a lot of stuff in the way. To get to this and the heater core hose (They are right next to each other) I removed the top of the air filter with the intake pipe. Also remove the access panel in the Truck to better access to these hoses. This is a small 90 degree hose about 5"x5" and I just cut it off which made that part easy. The new pipe is very hard to fit, I highly recommend letting it sit in the sun for 30 minutes or in front of a heat to make it more pliable. Because of the two hose fitting being so close together you have to really push and twist this hose to get it on, use a large screw drive but be careful not to damage the pipe. This pipe is shown with the center arrow. The other two arrow show the hose to the heater core pipe which we will address now.
View attachment 61963

The heater core line is different then the others because you need to sourse this line yourself. The other lines I installed where available from Midwest Bayless or Vicks. This line they say just use standard 5/8" heater hose. This is not a good idea in my book because the hose attaches to the engine facing the back of the car and needs to do a U-turn to get to the front of the engine where it drops under the car. It is very easy for it to crimp. You are best to find a hose with a molded 90 turn. Below are three hoses. The one on the right is the hose I removed, you can see the 90 bend after 4 to 5 inches. The yellow high lighted at the end this hose is just a piece of pipe I had to put into the hose to straighten it for the picture, just ignore it. This line is 48" on the long section. The hose in the center was a NAPA part someone recommended and was two short, it was on 36" on the long end. The one on the left is the one I sourced. It is a 90 degree molded bend 5" x 60", this is 12" longer then the previous pipe when I ordered it I did not know the current size exactly s0 went with the upper limit. As it turned out this was a good move. It allowed me to run the pipe in a way that limited interference. You can see this hose in the picture above with the blue arrows at the top and bottom of the picture. Notice the 90 bend and you will see why you want it. This part was bought on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/164547786341 the seller was called KE-Sales. But if you type 5/8" Heater hose molded 90 degree 5"x60" You will find a number of people selling them.

View attachment 61964

View attachment 61965

View attachment 61966

So that's it, if anyoe has any other tips please add them in. Enjoy.
View attachment 61967
Regarding the clamps, I used similar T-clamps but in my case I used them on the two forward-facing stat housing nipples, and used stainless "banded" (extra band material so the hose material does not extrude thru the worm drive slots) worm drive clamps on the pipe ends. Like you I thoroughly dressed the ends of the undercar pipes and I treated them with POR-15's metal prep and then painted them with POR 15 before reassembly. Anything to protect those pipes!!!

My theory about using which clamps where, was that it would be harder to damage the tubes by over-torquing the worm drive clamps as compared to over-torquing those t-bolt clamps. I never seem to be able to accurately judge just how much to tighten a hose clamp. I don't want to over-do it, but then again they always seem like they needs moar turns! 🤪🙄

Regarding the clamps, I used similar T-clamps but in my case I used them on the two forward-facing stat housing nipples, and used stainless "banded" (extra band material so the hose material does not extrude thru the worm drive slots) worm drive clamps on the pipe ends. Like you I thoroughly dressed the ends of the undercar pipes and I treated them with POR-15's metal prep and then painted them with POR 15 before reassembly. Anything to protect those pipes!!!

My theory about using which clamps where, was that it would be harder to damage the tubes by over-torquing the worm drive clamps as compared to over-torquing those t-bolt clamps. I never seem to be able to accurately judge just how much to tighten a hose clamp. I don't want to over-do it, but then again they always seem like they needs moar turns! 🤪🙄
Agreed on protecting the pipes, I plan to re-undercoat the car and will hit the pipes with that as well, better protection from rocks on the road.

I know what your saying about the T-clamps, feed back doesn't get much hard to turn so it's easy to over tighten. I tighten then just a bit then put in the coolant. I saw a small leak (You can actually see it in the picture) so gave it a few more turns and it stopped. Figured that was the safest way to do it. Go light and tighten more as needed.

I'm surprised the 36" version would have been way to short, I was definitely remembering that's what I used.

I saved the stick-on part number label somewhere in my stash of cooling system related stuff (clamps, stats, senders, etc) so I'll have to look and re-check thar part number. Could be that I did use the longer version and just somehow got fixated on the wrong length. Will follow up with a report 👍
I wish the 36" did fit, it would have been half the price of the one I settled on, it was definitely worth the try. This is why I like documenting these things on line. Makes it easier on the next guy doing this job and builds our knowledge base. I find I can't trust my brain to remember like it use to. 😆

Last edited:

Great write up. Thank you for taking the time.

I would note the arrangement of the main hoses from the tubes to the thermostat housing is important, it creates a sort of box around the starter and will make your life better if you have to service your starter in future.

I am not a fan of the type of clamps which express the slots against the hose itself. Gates makes a clamp intended for silicone hoses with an inner slip surface and a slightly rolled edge. These are not expensive and work well in my experience with standard hoses. They are not the constant tension type but my experience has been good with them.

As I have two X’s I bought a box of the right sizes from RockAuto. Though Amazon has similar prices, it comes down to who you want to support.

View attachment 61968

I wish the 36" did fit, it would have been half the price of the one I settled on, it was definitely worth the try. This is why I like documenting these things on line. Makes it easier on the next guy doing this job and builds our knowledge base. I find I can't trust my brain to remember like it use to. 😆

So I finally ran across the stuff I saved from recommissioning the cooling system hoses and Ta Da!!!! I found the label from what I used and wouldn't ya know, it wasn't what I remembered.

5/8" ID, 60" on the long leg and 4" on the short leg https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBH9814

IOW exactly what Kevin said :)

That Flunky at NAPA said they did not have a 60” hose. Thanks for sharing this part number. Much better deal then what I bought.

Shows out of stock on the 60” hose. Sadness. So far I haven’t found an alternative cross reference in Gates.
So I finally ran across the stuff I saved from recommissioning the cooling system hoses and Ta Da!!!! I found the label from what I used and wouldn't ya know, it wasn't what I remembered.

5/8" ID, 60" on the long leg and 4" on the short leg https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBH9814

IOW exactly what Kevin said :)
That Flunky at NAPA said they did not have a 60” hose. Thanks for sharing this part number. Much better deal then what I bought.
In regard to the other coolant hose for the supply from the head running into the spare tire well, did either of you use the same hose for that one? It takes a hard turn to go forward after coming off the rigid connection on the head to then wend its way into the tunnel. I haven’t removed the existing one yet but expect I need to. Or did you use a 90 and an inline connection tot standard hose to then get to the rigid in the tunnel? Thanks.

Shows out of stock on the 60” hose. Sadness. So far I haven’t found an alternative cross reference in Gates.

In regard to the other coolant hose for the supply from the head running into the spare tire well, did either of you use the same hose for that one? It takes a hard turn to go forward after coming off the rigid connection on the head to then wend its way into the tunnel. I haven’t removed the existing one yet but expect I need to. Or did you use a 90 and an inline connection tot standard hose to then get to the rigid in the tunnel? Thanks.
Sorry, I didn't replace that one. It looked like it was replaced by the PO so I left it.

I'm pretty sure that I'm still using the OEM hose there. On early series 2 cars the parts manuals show this as a two-hose arrangement with a union, and later series 2 cars use a single hose. I have to think that has something to do with FI---maybe the longer single hose was better suited or purpose-molded to make the turns needed to get around/above the FI control box in the spare tire compartment.

1657636484954.png

The advantage of the steel braided hose in the Scorpion is being able to reroute the coolant hose behind the strut tower giving total access to the timing belt, water pump, ....without it all being crammed in choke point.

Back