Cheap & Easy way to improve cabin lighting

39mm ones don’t fit the earlier type of light housing and they don’t have a glass shoulder so they fall out of the really rather daft holder design of the earlier cars. Also messing around with 40+ year old plastic is not fun nor is getting old it seems as I thought the connections where corroded so spent 10 mins scratching away to remove rust when is dawned on me the connection was on the other side and these pins where just for location…doh!

Must be a different fixture than the one on my 74. The 39 mm festoon bulb fit right in with no issues.

I can’t see how to be honest if i s the same as he one I’ve pictured
Does this look like your original kit?

20230313_163950.jpg

Footwell lighting is on the door circuit so either when door is open or via switch on centre console.
Mood light in footwell is on headlights/interior illumination circuit.
Do you have a photo of what the mood level ONLY lighting looks like, or is that the photo you posted?

Footwell lighting is on the door circuit so either when door is open or via switch on centre console.
Mood light in footwell is on headlights/interior illumination circuit.
Hey there - I see you‘re back. Can you tell me where (which colour wires) you tapped into for the bright footwell lights? Did you just splice into the wires before they hit the courtesy light switch (white/black - purple-black)?
I can get what I need tapping into the courtesy light itself (door and switched function), but that’s not how to do it, correct? Thanks

Last edited:
These are the Festoons I got... One on each B-Pillar in the 128, ludicrously bright 600 lumens each.. Even though bright, they're still a warm white, not bluish... the backside is an aluminum heat sink.. 3 different lengths available..

These are the Festoons I got... One on each B-Pillar in the 128, ludicrously bright 600 lumens each.. Even though bright, they're still a warm white, not bluish... the backside is an aluminum heat sink.. 3 different lengths available..

You sure these are ‘warm white’? The temperature in the ad says 4500 degrees, which could go either way from my experience. Definitely not leaning ’blue’?

Last edited:
Definitely leaning towards a 'wheat' color I think... This is a Night shot, the only light is coming from the 2 Festoons.. As you can see, they light up the whole interior like daylight 😎
I just looked at the ad again, the multiple times they list the color as Warm White.. I don't see anywhere they listed the Color temp numerically...?
128Interior_Lights.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely leaning towards a 'wheat' color I think... This is a Night shot, the only light is coming from the 2 Festoons..
I just looked at the ad again, the multiple times they list the color as Warm White.. I don't see anywhere they listed the Color temp numerically...?
View attachment 75820
Excellent, thanks - a picture’s worth a thousand missing words anyway :)
Looks nicer than the bluish-white one I got at Autozone. And 1/2 the price.

Definitely leaning towards a 'wheat' color I think... This is a Night shot, the only light is coming from the 2 Festoons.. As you can see, they light up the whole interior like daylight 😎
View attachment 75820
So I bought one of these. The light color/temp/brightness is good, but unfortunately, the damn festoon is too WIDE to fit in the X19’s courtesy lamp holder. Who would have though that would be a problem. Just assumed it would be the same width as the Sylvania I bought at Autozone. :(

20230911_162058.jpeg
20230911_162046.jpeg
20230911_162120.jpeg
20230911_161946.jpeg
20230911_161955.jpeg

Last edited:
So I bought one of these. The light color/temp/brightness is good, but unfortunately, the damn festoon is too WIDE to fit in the X19’s courtesy lamp holder. Who would have though that would be a problem. Just assumed it would be the same width as the Sylvania I bought at Autozone. :(

View attachment 77254 View attachment 77255 View attachment 77256 View attachment 77257 View attachment 77258
Is it making electrical contact? If not, try sticking some wire or aluminum foil around the upper contact until it touches the clip.

Is it making electrical contact? If not, try sticking some wire or aluminum foil around the upper contact until it touches the clip.
It’s too wide to slide into the holder. My fault for thinking all bulbs are created equal. I’ve found a couple just now on eBay that are clearly marked 10mm x 39mm. Perfect. If I had some colored film gels sitting around I’d stick one between the 6000k LED I have now and the plastic cover for a warmer white, but alas, I don’t.

Last edited:
Back