Christmas X tinsel!

Rodger

True Classic
Just opened some early presents. I had sent off about 45 lbs of almost every fastener that I was going to reuse for my K20 restomod as well as lots of other pieces from the X and the K20 engine/transmission to be re-plated. Most of the common nuts, smaller bolts, and washers I am replacing with new. Everything just came back today so thought I would share. I love new shiny bits. :dance2: Of course I still have to sort everything out and (hopefully) figure out where they all go :confused:, but now I can start to put things together and back on the car. :dance:

X1/9 parts

A few K20 engine parts

The memory test...

In the Spirit of Christmas, I'll be happy to sort...

all that stuff out for you... label it, bag it and send it right back when I'm done... I'll even pay return postage...

PM me for my shipping address...

(hehehehe!)

Merry Christmas and BTW... please tell us who you used and how much by the pound or ??? and shipping costs.

Thanks!~

Thanks for the offer!

Very generous of you, but I will struggle through it somehow.:) I used a place in Mukilteo, WA call Queen City Plating, http://queencityplating.com/. They specialize in automotive and marine plating of all kinds. Very nice to work with. They are a little north of Seattle, but it is a about a two hour drive on a good day, so I just shipped everything. I sent as much as I could cram into a USPS medium flat rate box. You can send up to 70 lbs for only $11.30. The longer stuff I sent in a separate box, but it was about the same price. The total for all of the yellow zinc plating was about $1,200 for all of it. I also had them re-chrome my original lug bolts for my CD-30 rims from my '79.

I am not sure exactly how much they were to do, as I sent them up in separate package a few days later along with a few other items I forgot in the first batch. I think it was a couple of hundred dollars, but I haven't seen the final invoice. A little extravagant, but I like the look of the original ones as opposed to the ones that are available now from our vendors. Total turn around time on the whole job was a little less than three weeks.

Merry Christmas, Tony and to all of the other Forum members, especially the moderators who work so hard to keep this great thing going:thumbsup:!

Rodger... thanks for he kind words... I thought the...

majority of parts were CAD plated... not a yellow zinc... or is that CAD plating?

I understand Cadmium plating is about 10% of the cost of chrome and is virtually identical to factory plating

No one (at least me) can argue with the quality that appears you received and thanks for the info.

CAD vs yellow chromate on zinc

Yes, the parts from 35-40 years ago were cadmium plated. But cadmium is very toxic and so its use has been phased out. It is not used on automotive fasteners any longer. For what I have read, it is only used on very select aerospace applications where the unique properties of cadmium are still needed. Very few plating shops will even offer it anymore. The shop I used can still do it, but not for much longer. It is quite a bit more expensive than the yellow zinc and since I could buy a whole X for what I was spending on the plating, I went with the yellow zinc. It looks the same and offers good corrosion protection. Probably not as good as cadmium, but this car will hopefully never see another rainy day.

Mmmmmm....Shiny!

Did the same thing several years ago....
IMG_1237.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back