Clutch Adjustment?

Elanplus2

True Classic
I was fortunate enough today to take my reclamation project out for its first "drive" since 1987. It's quite cold here right now, so discerning normal exhaust steam from any remnant coolant that may be in the system post head failure and t-stat gasket issues is a bit difficult, but it ran excellent otherwise. New brakes function, suspension and chassis are tight and silent... My question at the moment is whether or not there is any adjustment able to be made to the clutch? I replaced the entire hydraulic system. It functions perfectly with no slippage, but the engagement is almost instant as the pedal is raised. Any tips? Thanks in advance.

I was fortunate enough today to take my reclamation project out for its first "drive" since 1987. It's quite cold here right now, so discerning normal exhaust steam from any remnant coolant that may be in the system post head failure and t-stat gasket issues is a bit difficult, but it ran excellent otherwise. New brakes function, suspension and chassis are tight and silent... My question at the moment is whether or not there is any adjustment able to be made to the clutch? I replaced the entire hydraulic system. It functions perfectly with no slippage, but the engagement is almost instant as the pedal is raised. Any tips? Thanks in advance.
You can adjust the point where the clutch engages by adjusting the nut on the threaded rod of the slave cylinder. The procedure should be in the manual.

Congrats on the first drive.

Further to this - now that I've been able to drive the car...

I was able to adjust the arm, however I'm finding a "slim window" of usability. Adjusting the arm out gives me a longer throw with the depression of the clutch pedal, however at that point the clutch will not return and I need to either pull pedal back by hand, or pull the clutch arm back by hand. Adjusting the clutch arm into the point where the clutch pedal will return leaves me with a clutch that engages almost instantaneously as the pedal is allowed to rise back up. To be clear, I have no slippage of the clutch at all in any of the gears. It's just a situation where I am almost "instantly on", or unable to have the clutch pedal return. What am I missing? I purchased a used clutch arm return spring from Midwest Bayless that seems stiff enough... At least it was stiff enough as to be a wrestling match installing it. Is that spring doing most of the return work of the arm, or in this case should it be?

Thanks again in advance.

Back