clutch alignment pins

Discussion in 'Workshop Forum' started by pafiat, Feb 14, 2019 at 5:22 AM.

1. pafiat

pafiat Daily Driver

Hi, putting a new clutch into the beast (5speed 1500) and noticed the flywheel has a mild groove in it where the clutch plate rubs so good time to give it a light re-surface. How does one remove the little pins/dowels that locate the pressure plate on the flywheel so the machine shop can have a clear go at it?
    Rgds Pat

2. Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Dan Sarandrea (Phila) Waitin' On Parts...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    kmead likes this.
  3. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Or use vice-grips and a good wack. I welded a ring onto a old pair of vice grips so I can use a slide-hammer on it - for just these types of jobs.
    Looks something like one of these:
    7005.jpg EasyPullerMain.jpg

4. dllubin

dllubin True Classic

I've got an old Craftsman slide hammer that has a chuck on the end. I've used it to pull dowel sized items out of objects but never tried it on a flywheel. Probably would work. The intended purpose of the chuck was to hold a sheet metal screw that would attach to the bodywork to be pulled.

Dr.Jeff likes this.
  5. bpimm

bpimm Brian Pimm

I drilled a small hole on the blind side then drove them out with a punch, doesn't mar them up.

Dr.Jeff likes this.
  6. EricH

EricH Eric Hamilton Moderator

What did you use to drill? Hand-held drill and a steady hand, or a drill press?

7. bpimm

bpimm Brian Pimm

I did it on my mill but a drill press would work as well, even a handheld drill and some care would work, just make sure your drill bit is smaller than the pin diameter so it leaves a step for the pin to seat on. The added plus is you can claim a lightened flywheel... LOL

8. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Then I guess a severely worn flywheel is also "lightened"? :D

9. bpimm

bpimm Brian Pimm

And rust is chassis lightning...

Dr.Jeff likes this.
  10. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

That and parts falling off as you drive.