Clutch doesn't engage!

I have never ever had any installation wedges in any Fiat clutch.
If I understand, no matter what you do, the engine does not appear to be hooked up to the gearbox?

I have never ever had any installation wedges in any Fiat clutch.
If I understand, no matter what you do, the engine does not appear to be hooked up to the gearbox?
Thats correct.
I checked my invoice on my clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing. It matches what our vendor sells as a kit for 1979-88. Not sure if its possible that i bought the right kit but was sent the wrong kit. Would the older x kit for 1300 bolt up to the 1500 but give the issue i am having?

I'm still betting your throwout bearing being upside down - what happens is that it preloads the clutch fingers and disengages the clutch (it's too close to the pressure plate, ends up pressing on the plate - you will still have slave cylinder travel).

Keep us posted - hope it's something simple. I took my transmission off, did a facepalm and slapped it back together and went off to the races... literally! (It was a late night before race day that I made this mistake).

(PS. I just drove through PA this past weekend! I could have stopped and helped you out :) )

I have a spare flywheel, you can have. You'll need to check if its a 5spd or 4spd wheel though. I'm not sure which it is.

I have a spare flywheel, you can have. You'll need to check if its a 5spd or 4spd wheel though. I'm not sure which it is.
Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know what I find. In the process of pulling trans.
All 4 wheels were on the ground for a short period of time. Now back up in the air.:(

20180820_183545.jpg

you do know you can pull the gearbox and leave the motor in.
Yes. I started last night removing axles, lowering suspension arm just getting ready to pull it. With work and normal life stuff getting in the way it'll be a little while.

I did a search here on the throw out bearing. From what i got from that is if the bearing is installed wrong it can keep your clutch from engaging. Exactly what myronx19 posted.
XWEB is a great resource to bad it doesn't stop me from making dumb mistakes. I will post what I find with pics. So hopefully it will help someone else. Thanks everyone.

I have made my share of them as well. Part of the fun of the cars is this support group. We do have a lot of fun with what we do.

I have been VERY pleased with how well we all get along and have so little drama, It makes focusing on little issues like this that much easier!!

I am very curious what is the cause.

I have a motor on the ground with the transmission off that I looked at the flywheel, verifying it is a two-step, and it indeed is.

Success, my x is now running and driving. I started working on it Saturday. I had no intention of finishing the job. It went extremely well. This was of course with the help of X-WEB .

20180825_105531.jpg

20180825_082915.jpg

I made of some centering pins for the top bell housing holes. Used my cutoff wheel and put slots for a screwdriver. Not my idea this was from a post I read on here.

20180825_090229.jpg

20180825_083856.jpg

Then hooked up two ratchet straps around the trans. Had my floor jack under the oil pan and lowered engine just enough to so the trans would come out into wheel well without hitting. Tightened both straps one around bell housing and one around the diff. Just to support the weight. Unbolted trans and slid it out. I didn't even have to remove it completely. The ratchet strap idea is great. You can adjust the height very easily. Again an idea I read on here.

20180825_085451.jpg

This is what I found. Myronx19 you were correct. Throw out bearing was upside down. The bearings one side has a what I'll call a hook that completely goes around the fork finger. I had this on top. It needs to be on the bottom and that's where the retaining clip goes. This picture I don't have the clip installed yet.

20180825_083842.jpg

Put it all back together with no damage. And took it out for the first drive in 8 months.

20180825_152545.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help. And I hope this keeps someone else from making the same mistake. By the way the clutch operates excellent.:)

The above post I have the pictures of the throw out bearing at the wrong place. The top picture is how its suppose to be. With the hooked part of the bearing on the bottom and the retaining clip is installed. And lower pic is wrong.

Awesome! Good stuff, at least it was an "easy" fix! Bit of a pain, but nothing serious.

And agreed, the forum is a great resource from a bunch of great members. :) Enjoy!

Ooh, jealous, you have another X (nearby?) to run with!!
Easy cruise, or hare and hound?

Ooh, jealous, you have another X (nearby?) to run with!!
Easy cruise, or hare and hound?
This was the second time out after engine refresh. I didn't run too hard went 5500 rpm a few times. Lots of fun. Lets just say it was a spirited drive. :rolleyes:

Back