Clutch Master cylinder leak again

Yves

True Classic
My clutch master cylinder leak after I installed a brand new in 2018 (2 years).
The clutch work properly but the master cylinder leak on my shoes.
The fluid descends by 3/4 level in about 10 days.

I have to replace again... frustrating

What is the expected life of the clutch master cylinder ?.

Yves

It depends.

My current ones in my 1985 I replaced in 1993. So far so good. I have no history on my 1987 car.

In one of the old threads about replacement masters (clutch and brake) someone speculated there must be a flood of inferior quality new units on the market. No idea, but I'm with you Yves that isn't nearly the expected lifespan for a new master.

I just read something in another thread that triggered a thought. I believe @Rodger is one of the people that was having issues with new masters not lasting (in his case it was the brake master). He resorted to having the master sleeved to solve it. I might be remembering it wrong, but maybe reach out to him and see if he has some helpful insight.

I just read something in another thread that triggered a thought. I believe @Rodger is one of the people that was having issues with new masters not lasting (in his case it was the brake master). He resorted to having the master sleeved to solve it. I might be remembering it wrong, but maybe reach out to him and see if he has some helpful insight.
No, I have never had an issue with my clutch masters not lasting long in my ‘79. The brake master was still the original Fiat one when I did a pedal box rebuild a couple of years ago. But it has been a long time since they were replaced so maybe the replacements were better made back when it was done. When I got the ‘81, it had both original Fiat masters so I had Karps resleeve both of them and then later on the brake master from the ‘79.

Yves

Exactly same story here, but my leak is still manageable so far...

My clutch master cylinder … leak on my shoes...
Yves

Try this:

galoshes.jpg

Pardon the joke. I had to try posting a picture after the recent forum upgrade. It really is easier, now.

My clutch master lasted about 4 years. I saved the old one, thinking that I might try to hone it, some day.

Brian

I'd suggest determining where the leak is coming from - the hose connection to the master? the hose clamp? I bought one from Bayless in 1996 or so - it started leaking about 1 year later. It's been leaking since!!! (but not that bad.)

I have a brand new one that I bought from MWB sitting and waiting to go in. Hopefully it'll be OK. I do plan to use regular DOT3 fluid, nothing fancy.

I don't see how any leak is acceptable. It can ruin your shoes, make a mess of your carpet and generally mess with your head as you know you have to resolve the issue and yes it's a miserable job (all this said in a scowling parental voice, much like your mom telling you to make your bed).

Yves

Have a good to see where it is coming from. It could be something as simple as just needing to tighten the fittings on the hard lines.

Dom.

I had replaced the clutch and brake master cylinders a little over 2 years ago. A few months ago I went to put in a carpet from a parts car that I cleaned up and repaired only to find the clutch cylinder leaking on the floor pans I replaced. In my mind I attributed it to 2 possible things, it was contaminated by the old hoses I reused, or it may have been sitting on a shelf for along time from the place I bought it (it was not from a supplier ever mentioned here). This time around I replaced all hoses, bought the new one from MWB, and cleaned and freed up the plastic pivot in the pedal housing. Live and learn I know, but I’m pretty good at it now.

Have a good to see where it is coming from. It could be something as simple as just needing to tighten the fittings on the hard lines.

Dom.
They leak by the back where the push rod push the cylinder ... The envelope rubber of the push rod is fill up by oil.

I'd suggest determining where the leak is coming from - the hose connection to the master? the hose clamp? I bought one from Bayless in 1996 or so - it started leaking about 1 year later. It's been leaking since!!! (but not that bad.)

I have a brand new one that I bought from MWB sitting and waiting to go in. Hopefully it'll be OK. I do plan to use regular DOT3 fluid, nothing fancy.
They leak by the back where the push rod push the cylinder ... The envelope rubber of the push rod is fill up by oil.

They leak by the back where the push rod push the cylinder

So there is a place in Ontario Canada called John Stuart Power Brakes and they can rebuild it, properly. They can sleeve it, and it'll never leak again (or at least hopefully not). I sent them my brake calipers, and although it wasn't cheap - they did a nice job.

Rebuilding is far more expensive than new, but hopefully a well rebuilt one offers many years of trouble free service.

Back