Clutch or clutch slave help me please! 87 x1/9

A few choice words and its off finally. But the whole fifth gear area is shot, big burr clips can be saved. the right side gear, top is BLOWN apart, ball bearings and all :sad: I got my other tranny coming... Problem now at hand is do I clean the one I have coming, make sure its all ok, regasket it, and will an 87 5speed mount to a 83 motor 5speed motor? Otherwise, it will take me some time to rebuilt this bitch to keep it as a spare.

Now what?

Problem now at hand is do I clean the one I have coming, make sure its all ok, regasket it, and will an 87 5speed mount to a 83 motor 5speed motor? Otherwise, it will take me some time to rebuild this bitch to keep it as a spare.

The '87 will just bolt up, no problem. All the five-speeds are interchangeable with each other, as are all the four-speeds.

If the blown transmission had been running with oil two quarts low I wouldn't be optimistic about how rebuildable it will be :sigh: but you won't be sure until you've split the case and seen what's there to see.

Inside looks great somehow... I will post pics later on today. Just 5th gear decided to blow on me and then some. I cant even order the bearing thing from bayless....So get from from the UK from ebay?

I might have a spare 5th gear cover plate and cover and 5th gear assembly available if required. If you could put together a list or photo of the dead parts we can figure this out. I would suggest checking out the rest of this transaxle carefully before trying to put it all back together.

Inside looks great somehow... I will post pics later on today. Just 5th gear decided to blow on me and then some. I cant even order the bearing thing from bayless....So get from from the UK from ebay?

Which large ball bearing is toast, the SKF 616034A or the SNR AB12077?

In the three trannies I have disassembled, the two bearings have different designs and different manufacturers and part numbers. But IIRC the FIAT part number is identical for both, so FIAT must consider them interchangeable.

I know of an expensive source for the SKF bearing in Michigan. I also know of a reasonably priced source for both in the Netherlands.

Back