Cold air intake

That's interesting about not getting enough air supply. Mike's is not a turbo, but NA, plus his "box" is open on the bottom. So I think his cold air intake should provide plenty of air for his engine's needs.

Mxgrds, I'd like to discuss your cold air turbo application further. Lets jump over to the other "turbo" thread with it if you don't mind (so as not to hijack Mike's topic). I keep getting side tracked too easily, sorry Mike.

My setup takes cooler air from outside the car, but also limits the intake air capacity. I didn’t realise who much air the turbo needs. Lately I was looking for the reason my turbo pressure dropped. This was the reason. I removed the hose and take the extra heat from the engine. Back to the drawing board.

Maybe at least remove the deflector from the lid opening? I cut mine out & I made a snorkel that feeds air into that cavity.

9E95BFDB-D317-44D7-B17A-27C36E9D3FFC.jpg

3_F228693-2_A46-4_B07-81_EC-313_F25264662.jpg

256380E3-C7F8-494B-833D-69923CDC80C2.jpg

Might help. I am currently on vacation in France in the mountains. Pretty hot conditions. Don’t notice much of a difference. Engine coolant stays within limits. Rad fan hasn’t started yet. Even on a 7 km climb with 5 to 10 % sloops. I think I am good.

Very cool setup lookforjoe. I love the side scoop and box! If I can get my hands on an extra engine cover I just may copy you!

Might help. I am currently on vacation in France in the mountains. Pretty hot conditions. Don’t notice much of a difference. Engine coolant stays within limits. Rad fan hasn’t started yet. Even on a 7 km climb with 5 to 10 % sloops. I think I am good.
Sorry. It wasn’t the closed air filter that caused a problem. The ignition timing was not earlier enough. I moved the sensor some 4 degrees anti clockwise and it runs much better now. Also with the closed air filter.

Ok, finally done the fab and install for my “cold air intake”. At first I was going to fabricate a full box shield for the filter but due to space I was somewhat limited so I opted for a more simple design. Also, I didn’t want to monopolize all the air coming into the engine bay from the side scoop as I’m sure the whole bay benefits from the air flow. Anyway, here’s a few pictures.

I like it!! , any possibilities on getting a copy of that template??....thanks

Last edited:
Back