Color change maybe.

autox19

True Classic
So da red wings are back to 79's 80's dead wings. !! losses in a row, getting close to the 17 that is the record in NHL. So the emblem is going to be removed. then I started thinking. with losing the red wing scheme, should I go to the red/yellow abarth? keep it all red? not thinking of doing a completely new color, but anything is possible.

Odie

abarth2.png
abarth1.png

Last edited:
Hmmmm... I am not sure how I feel about the windshield surround going yellow. The other areas are traditional contrast areas on the body style and look good. It's your car, so its your rules Odie!! :) Use Plasti-Dip for the trim color and you can change it up as you feel the urge.

Great thought on the plasti-dip! the windshield surround I am not sure of either, but googling shows it on the abarth

Odie

Great thought on the plasti-dip! the windshield surround I am not sure of either, but googling shows it on the abarth

Odie

I never noticed contrasting windshield before, but I checked the picture and there it was. It carries back along the targa top too, which ties it to the quadrilaterals on the targa sails. Without the roof, that surround really stood out to me. So my next question is "Why do Prototipo cars always have the roof on?" I guess because it is a "race car"?

As Jim says, paint schemes are completely subjective and up to each owner to decide what they like. But since you asked for opinions I will add mine. I love Abarth stuff, much in the way I love AMG, Motorsport division, and many other "performance" editions of many vehicles. But I've never been extremely fond of the red/yellow color scheme Abarth used. So if it were my car, with a nice red color already existing, I'd look at other options. Perhaps rather than a real two-tone, maybe add a contrasting stripe and/or accents of some sort. Here's a couple examples of what I am thinking, although both are on a white base you could find a similar combination for the red:

12.jpg Monterey 09 044.JPG

When I was fixing some corrosion around my windshield, I decided to paint it Black rather than try to color match the red. I don't think it looks too out of place. Though black and yellow are a bit different.

Attachments

• 20160626_203505.jpg
    20160626_203505.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 61
Unfortunately, I can’t see a red/yellow anything without somehow it reminding me of McDonalds. Abarth Shmabarth, it’s the same colors. Years ago a friend & I built a trailer & painted the frame yellow so it would be easy to check for cracks. Then we put decking on it & had some leftover red paint...so, with mixed feelings about the association, we often referred to at as the Ronald McDonald trailer, and probably would have had a hearty laugh with the subject car on it. (But, of course, we would have also loved to have that car on it).

and this is why people probably should not ask me for an opinion on aesthetics...

On the subject of red X1/9's. I've been noticing a color on some production cars that I think would be great for the X. It is a deeper shade of red but has a metallic that makes it look brighter - especially in the sun. The deeper shade gives it a bit of a classy appearance, compared to say the bright Porsche (guards) red. With a good polish shine the combination of deeper red and metallic is really eye catching. I've seen it on a few Japanese vehicles (Mazda SUVs for example) as well as a couple other makes. No idea what any of them call it. But I like it as a modern yet classic red, which would give the classic X a fresh/modern look.

On the subject of red X1/9's. I've been noticing a color on some production cars that I think would be great for the X. It is a deeper shade of red but has a metallic that makes it look brighter - especially in the sun. The deeper shade gives it a bit of a classy appearance, compared to say the bright Porsche (guards) red. With a good polish shine the combination of deeper red and metallic is really eye catching. I've seen it on a few Japanese vehicles (Mazda SUVs for example) as well as a couple other makes. No idea what any of them call it. But I like it as a modern yet classic red, which would give the classic X a fresh/modern look.

That is a remarkable red, Mazda calls it Soul Red Crystal.

Mazda calls it Soul Red Crystal
Interestingly I've seen what appears to be the same color on other makes of newer cars, including some domestic ones. I'm sure if they were all cleaned up and placed side by side there would be differences between them. But any would be close enough, and being production colors you should be able to get it from any supplier.

You could go for the urban camo look

IMG_1292[1].JPG

Just park it under a Bradford Pear tree in the late fall and let nature take a dump on it. And those little rotten pears splat on your car and make a nice toxic jelly on your paint. Good candidate for a car cover me thinks.

That is a LOT of leaves everywhere! I suppose that is one (and only) benefit of living in a desert, I have cactus and palm (date) trees in my yard with decorative rock covering the ground (nothing else grows in this heat).

East coast is where leaves go to retire. There is a reason they call the season "fall"... as in all the leaves fall off the tree.

Back