column switch connection problem

m.j.reeves

Low Mileage
Hi people...i need a little help.I bought a new column switch...my car 1978 fiat x1/9 Australian version.Fitted new column switch...tried lights, all functioned as they should.Plugged in wiper connector turned ignition on and smoke started coming from the connector, so i immediately unplugged it.I now have no power at the 2 orange wires at the loom connector block previously wipers had functioned correctly.I now have no wipers, instrument gauge water oil pressure fuel gauge and tacho not working.Instrument gauge lights working.No fuses blown...i am not so good at wiring diagrams ( which i have) but i can see one of the orange wires from connector block goes to the wiper motor
and it seems the other orange wire goes to the instrument gauge.I would like to know where the power to the orange wires come from..and would appreciate any clues as to the possible cause.I back tested the orange wire from the wiper motor end of loom and it has continuity.Thanks in advance for any advice

Congrats, sorry we weren’t as on it as we might have been. :cool: Holiday weekend and all that.

As you found the problem, care to enlighten us as to the resolution and what the real issue with it was?

Was the switch the correct one for your year?
What did you find was wrong?
Did a fuse replacement solve at least the power delivery problem?

Thanks...i was of the opinion nobody knew much about the electricals..1/ the new column switch was incorrectly wired on the wiper washer connection plug from the manufacturer..2/ the wire from the fuse box ( which had been bastardised by somebody else) instead of being number 1 fuse was wired from another fusebox connector and had an inline fuse in a closed connector box hidden way up inside the upper dash...( orange wire) i used probes to trace the wire...all in all quite a challenge to find it...seems there are so many variants of wiring for these vehicles.I still have not plugged in the wiper connector yet because i am waiting for proper spade/ pin removal tools but i know all is now good as i have power at the 2 orange wires coming from the loom to the bottom middle connector from the loom and i made small jumper cables to connect between the new switch block to the loom connector block...cheers and thanks

Cool. Thanks.

Yes there were different variations of the column switch and the associated wiring for different years. Although the switches look the same, sadly they are not.

Being from a right hand drive place the wiring we are used to seeing could even be different from from what we expect.

There is another forum that hosts many wiring diagrams called MiraFiori which you need to be a member of to access them. Downloading a few of them might allow you to have one that matches your car, or at least create a Frankenstein of two that nearly match.

The PO (Previous Owner) is the bane of most older car owners. The things they did and didn’t document boggle the mind sometimes.

Thank you very much for bringing us along, although we don’t have lots of Australian members we do have a number of them so your experience could help others.

Thank you very much for your links and input.This car is a project which will eventually go to my grown up son ( he has 2 cars already and is self supporting but he likes this x1/9) i will be blueprinting my alterations for him as i changed the headlight power feed some time ago...and i now run led head and tail lights.i have gone to great trouble to keep the wiring colour the same to the point of using different colours of nail polish😄

Back